Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY: Installing steering wheel audio and phone controls on Camaro ! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511)

436SS 04-06-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flightwolf (Post 7558252)
Just had it done last week, charged me $50. for the BCM reprogram and 1/2 hr. labor.

Where you get yours done at?

Superman_117 04-20-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flightwolf (Post 7558252)
Just had it done last week, charged me $50. for the BCM reprogram and 1/2 hr. labor.

I am also interested in where you got this done at! $50 is a really good deal! You are literally just paying for the program!

alexbarabas 05-06-2014 01:01 PM

So this switch... can I pull it off a 2011 Cruze steering wheel? I assume the wiring harness is different?

cul2969 05-25-2014 04:23 PM

Installed the steering wheel controls and PDIM this afternoon. Now I need to find a dealership that can do the programming. Anyone know a dealer in or close to Mississippi that can do that?

Christok 06-28-2014 02:26 PM

I got my dealer - Oregan's in Halifax to install my new leather wrapped steering wheel with the radio controls (from patrick at GM parts warehouse) at the same time they changed my oil yesterday. They charged me 1.5 hours of labor ($99/hour) to install the steering wheel along with the software update and did not charge anything for the update I figure it was a good deal and since they installed it if I have any problems it should be covered under my 10 year comprehensive warranty if I have any troubles with it down the road.

crbeezy 02-03-2015 06:27 PM

So i ordered the switch but forgot about the harness, can i just get one from the dealer?

mmaattppllaayy 02-16-2015 05:40 PM

I have the wheel trim, controls and harness for sale if anyone wants them. PM me. They are for the 2010 wheel.

Dan42AR 10-12-2016 02:53 PM

I have a 2010 1LT Camaro and I tried to do this upgrade but techline won't approve it do I have any other options? Thanks in advance for any help.

spirit0fwar 03-12-2017 03:06 AM

Thanks for the instructions! Just did the modification myself in 15 minutes))) Now I'm wondering how to reprogram bcm to make radio controls active. The problem is here no local Chevy dealer in Russia. Any suggestions? If I replace whole radio head union with the one from camaro which has factory steering controls, will it help?

jerryostone 03-21-2017 07:35 AM

Great thread! Thanks to all who have allowed me to make the install a breeze.

Just bought a Burgundy 2010 LT1 with less than 13K on the odo... I called the four dealers in the area and none of them have done this, so they would not take responsibility if it doesn't work, but given what I've read here, I do not expect they will have issues.

I was quoted costs for the programming between $100 - $143 - not bad seeing as it's been 7 years since folks started doing this!

Fingers crossed that they don't have issues...

jerryostone 03-27-2017 08:27 AM

Ok - went to the dealer on a Saturday and, as expected, they were clueless, and when I mentioned that they would need to get a code from Techline, they said that we'd have to reschedule for a weekday as they are not open on Saturdays.

rpnitro 04-03-2017 11:07 PM

This is a great "how to" post by the OP. The only problem that I had with this article is the links quoted here :

" The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2388518&from=sm#ss1-2388518">Condition/Concern:

A customer may inquire if it is possible to install steering wheel mounted audio controls on a vehicle that was not originally built with that option.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2388518&from=sm#ss2-2388518">Recommendation/Instructions:
"

do not work anymore. Maybe someone can refresh a working link containing the same information ?

jerryostone 04-06-2017 07:05 PM

So my project is complete - the dealer was able to do the programming, using the original post regarding the process to follow. They charged me $117 for the work, including the tech line download.

ReverendRF 03-30-2018 12:32 PM

Sorry for the thread revival - but I have a question related to my experience getting this done

I took my 2010 SS to my local dealer to get the BCM reprogrammed after getting a VCI provided from tech line. My dealer called techline who said 'VCI to program BCM for added steering wheel control is no longer supported'. I told the dealer that it seemed strange that a GM dealer can not add a genuine GM accessory to the computer of a GM vehicle.

Dealer forwarded me to GM customer service, who placed a ticket for GM service advisors to review.

I also asked if techline elaborated further on 'is no longer supported' to which the answer was no, they did not.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it true techline no longer supports providing a VCI to add steering wheel controls to a 5th gen Camaro that did not have the option from the factory?