Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question on NOS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74139)

mcdoogle6969 03-30-2010 09:51 AM

Question on NOS

I have a CAI and axle back exhaust installed on my SS right now, Headers are at the shop and waiting to go on with a tune. I was thinking about also getting a 120 shot of NOS added on there so if i got it down the road i wouldn't have to pay for a second tune. What do you guys think? Is spray pretty fun?

This will be a substitute until i can one day afford a blower. (i hope this is the right thread)

JANNETTYRACING 03-30-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 (Post 1654059)
I have a CAI and axle back exhaust installed on my SS right now, Headers are at the shop and waiting to go on with a tune. I was thinking about also getting a 120 shot of NOS added on there so if i got it down the road i wouldn't have to pay for a second tune. What do you guys think? Is spray pretty fun?

This will be a substitute until i can one day afford a blower. (i hope this is the right thread)

With GM cars you really need 2 tunes and the ability to switch between them for use with NOS.

So An SCT tuner might be a good choice.

You need to pull about 6 degrees of timing for 120 HP, the other Option might be the addition of the MSD LS timing control.

Good Luck and Be careful, Monitor your bottle pressure and temp carefully.

Ted.

mcdoogle6969 03-30-2010 11:01 AM

Good info! Now for your opinion, is a bottle worth the price?

SRT10KLLR 03-30-2010 11:08 AM

The bottle is one of the best $$/hp mod out there.

For timing you can reflash the ECM with a nitrous tune when you want to spray or you can tie into your IAT and pull timing that way. You can also use a timing box to pull timing.

EFI Live has a new COS that will pull timing whenever you flip a switch. I installed the pin in the ECM and ran the wire already just need to convert the calibration into the new COS to use it.

You should be safe with a 150 shot. I would recommend a plate system rather than a nozzle setup. I installed a Nitrous Outlet 2010 Camaro Specific kit on the car with a dedicated fuel tank(C16 fuel) and squeezed a 200 shot to start but will work it up to 300 shot. It made 811 tq and 640 hp on the juice.

You can get info on the nitrous kit here:
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...=14&section=37

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...6&product=3925

I have the nitrous kits in stock so let me know if you want one.:D

Here is a video I took of the kit installed and purging it a little:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...h_MOV01180.jpg

mcdoogle6969 03-30-2010 12:21 PM

That's a pretty cool vid! So it sounds like you need two tunes for the car, one without nos and another for when you want to use it? Or will the switch fix that so whenever i want to use it i just hit the switch and good to go? Can you toggle nos on and off with that?

SRT10KLLR 03-30-2010 01:07 PM

Depends on how much you spray. On a 50-100 shot you may be able to just use one tune for both NA and nitrous with a little less timing when off the N2O. Or if you use the IAT or COS(Custom Operating System) you just have one tune and when you flip a switch it removes more timing for the nitrous automatically.

I hooked the wire from the ECM to the nitrous switch so when you activate the nitrous it pulls timing too. But that is using EFI Live's new COS that not just pulls adjusts timing but can also adjust fuel when on the spray.

axis 03-30-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 (Post 1654664)
That's a pretty cool vid! So it sounds like you need two tunes for the car, one without nos and another for when you want to use it? Or will the switch fix that so whenever i want to use it i just hit the switch and good to go? Can you toggle nos on and off with that?

Bottom line, you can make it as trick as you want. It all depends on how much $$ you sprinkle on it. :D

Jekyll-N-Hyde 03-30-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 (Post 1654059)

Pm OrangeChevyII and ask him if anyone is a Bottle Junkie and knows his stuff its him.
However Ted made a VERY good point as always :thumbup:

mcdoogle6969 03-30-2010 01:33 PM

Haha, alright sounds good guys. I will probably be going with that within the month hopefully. Pretty curious to what the final numbers will be on the car.

guyjusthere 04-14-2010 12:06 PM

I have an newer zex kit off my mustang gt...
Will pulling the fuel from the tap on the passenger fuel rail be safe?
I'm only running a 50 shot, so I will not be retarding the timing...

guyjusthere 04-19-2010 11:47 AM

Bump

JANNETTYRACING 04-19-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyjusthere (Post 1719572)
I have an newer zex kit off my mustang gt...
Will pulling the fuel from the tap on the passenger fuel rail be safe?
I'm only running a 50 shot, so I will not be retarding the timing...

For a 50 shot you will be fine.

At levels above 100 HP I don't like to pull fuel off the rail since when the NOS activates it creates a wicked Low Spike in fuel pressure and a lean condition for about 1 second, and engines fail in Milliseconds.

The dry systems work very well up to 150 HP. all the extra fuel goes through the injectors and no fuel pressure spikes.

Ted.

guyjusthere 04-19-2010 01:08 PM

I have never gone dry. It would be a lot easier. hmm..

Anything different with dry systems?

spray nozzle placement?(in the intake)

JANNETTYRACING 04-19-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyjusthere (Post 1739337)
I have never gone dry. It would be a lot easier. hmm..

Anything different with dry systems?

spray nozzle placement?(in the intake)

Yes Before the Maf, it picks up the added Air flow and temp drop and adds the fuel automatically.

Ted.