Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How I Added Power Passenger Seat to a 2010 2SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176927)

GTAHVIT 10-16-2011 01:12 PM

Awesome thread man!

Well done!

techinny 10-16-2011 04:17 PM

Subscribed!

el ess A 10-16-2011 05:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's just as I thought. You DO need that air bag switch and metal piece.

Simple to get the metal piece off. Drill out the rivets and you're done. You can go get some genuine GM rivets, p/n 92234427 at list price of $5.42 each. Or you could do what I did and go get my rivet gun out of the tool box with a box of short 5mm (3/16") rivets. Yeah, they're aluminum, but they don't cost $10.84 for 2 of them either. Worked just as well IMO. Don't use medium or long ones as you might contact the operating screw in the track.

The switch/bracket itself just unscrews with the one phillips like I said, and screws right into the new seat base. Reminder: goes on the INBOARD track. It should be easy enough.

Anyway, I cut the old blue wire for the switch at the splice in the old harness. Removed the pin from the old main floor plug. Then I spliced the short blue wire into the seat belt blue wire. And then routed the "new" blue wire from the switch to the new main floor plug. Put everything back together and tested. NO MORE AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT!!!

Works like a champ and I am D-O-N-E!! (well, except if I get a notion to replace the inboard mini-hinge cover with the correct one)

So in summary, this isn't exactly plug and play, but almost. You DO NEED the air bag switch. So don't throw away your old harness/seat right away. You'll need some stuff off of it. If GM doesn't have the proper harness, then you need to splice the 2SS heated harness like I did mine. Obviously, if I can help anyone with any further explanations, I'll try my best to help. Again, this is for a 2SS with heated leather. I'm not electrically inclined and I was able to do this, so if you know anything about wiring, it should be no problem.

Top pic shows the plug comparison. The wiring is virtually identical except for that tan wire color was changed and the new harness doesn't have the switch pin.

Second pic shows where to mount the switch and the two rivet holes on the new track.

Last pic is where I completed the air bag switch install. Now the wife is happy.

The_Stache 10-16-2011 08:51 PM

My wife will be thanking you when I get a spare $600.00.

This should be a sticky...

Wantconvertible 10-16-2011 08:56 PM

I'll be over Saturday so you can do mind :thumbsup:

2SSRS@Gen5diy 10-16-2011 09:10 PM

Nice work,:drinking:

Jrichards73 10-18-2011 08:13 PM

No need to rewire on 2011 2ss/rs, that piece you speak of is not on old seat so must have been phased out. I did have to swap the airbag plug though as my old one had a different locating pin in it and new one didn't go into airbag. Otherwise butter and its installed.

Baldman 10-18-2011 08:30 PM

Nice work.:thumbup: :bow:As long as the wife is happy that's what's important.:)

dajones 12-19-2011 07:09 AM

Great Project

I completed installing my power passenger seat this weekend. Your write-up made this task straight forward. If any of you are planning to install in your 2011 2LT I have the wiring harness, cover, switch and knob that I will sell as I ordered two of these items. PM and I'll give you a great price.

olblue75 12-19-2011 02:05 PM

Is there a parts list and is anyone going to offer a kit to do this or least where best price can be had

Rangore 03-31-2012 11:18 PM

Great write up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCI CamaroFan 04-01-2012 12:28 PM

I will be doing this when I get some free time. My girlfriend can't see over the dash :(

Thanks for the writeup!

BlackIce1066 04-02-2012 04:25 AM

OK a couple of questions please.

1. Are the switchs for the seat controls mounted on the outside or inside of the seat?

or

2. Do you modify the existing outside cover to accept the new switches?

:iono:

el ess A 04-03-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiacfanatic66 (Post 4741821)
OK a couple of questions please.

1. Are the switchs for the seat controls mounted on the outside or inside of the seat?

or

2. Do you modify the existing outside cover to accept the new switches?

:iono:

The outer cover on the passenger side (you'll need to buy the correct cover- see parts list in the links in original post. P/N 22780755)

IIRC, the existing non-power outer cover doesn't have any clips and such for the new additional seat switch.