Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Anyone else wash the entire wheel to the back?? Tough to do but worht it. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44453)

eric grinder 09-26-2009 07:25 AM

Anyone else wash the entire wheel to the back?? Tough to do but worht it.

I remember my last car getting really caked up on the inner part of the wheels that usually NEVER get touched. I decided ot try and keep up with the entire wheel from the start in hopes of them never looking nasty on the inner part as well. Man the huge Brembos make it tough but you can squeeze a sponge in there and they come out nice as long as you start from the beginning!

Mark A Collier Sr 09-26-2009 07:29 AM

IF you are going to be THAT determined to clean your car... do what I do. I take the whole wheel off my Suburban twice a year, clean the wheel well, inspect for damage, check your brakes and clean the wheel while it is off. I wouldn't do it every time I wash it but my car is in GREAT condition and still looks new (when it is clean).

presholt33 09-26-2009 08:04 AM

i bought a soft wheel brush at wal-mart in auto section.the name of it is blue coral it works great.gets all the way to back of the rim from the front

Scott@Bjorn3D 09-26-2009 08:17 AM

Yeah I got a small black and gray round brush at O'Rielys and it get way back in there and clean as much as a can. They look good when I do that once a month.

Chris@glimmerglass 09-26-2009 12:43 PM

Absolutely! It makes a huge difference and really makes a noticeable improvement!
Trust me here, an ez detail brush is your friend for this application. It fits in very tight areas and makes cleaning the inner barrels a breeze. (note: we're waiting on more to get here, but they should be here mid week.. they sell fast!)

eric grinder 09-26-2009 12:47 PM

Sweet never even thought of a brush for this application. Excellent and yes much easier idea than a sponge!

Mod007 09-26-2009 12:55 PM

Ya I do that too.. My wife get mad when ever she see's me cleaning my wheels. She always saying come inside!

OBSSEST 09-26-2009 02:40 PM

I've been cleaning in there as well.

This car IS NOT good for my obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). All I can think about is that silky black paint.

IROCanSS 09-26-2009 02:58 PM

Everytime I wash the car... who doesn't?

scythezo6 09-26-2009 03:08 PM

My girlfriend's dad took all the wheels off his Pathfinder (does this about 3 times a year) cleaned the calipers off, washed out the wheel well (found some blood-caked fur :confused0068: ), then applied some kind of black paint to the wheel well. The paint is pretty glossy and tough. It helps keep things clean in there and all he has to do is spray water into the wheel well to clean and maybe scrub under there a couple times a year. Not sure what kind of paint he used but its nice. Keeps the wheel well clean and the shiny black looks cool. I wouldnt mind using this on my camaro because the wheel wells on my G6 look like crap after 4 years of driving.

Angelo@Autopia 09-26-2009 08:22 PM

Here's a link that would help alot in this area: http://www.properautocare.com/cowhtiwhwecl.html

rolnslo 09-27-2009 08:41 AM

I guess this is an advantage to having an LT/RS. Smaller rotors combined with 20" wheels makes it easy to get my hand in there to clean the inside of the wheels.

FirstLSK 09-27-2009 09:16 PM

I pull the wheels off a few times a year and wash AND WAX the inside of the wheel.

A long lasting wax like zaino will make it very easy to keep the inside clean. After that, pressure wash and use a leaf blower to dry.

ravensjeff 09-27-2009 09:35 PM

I use a brush from the Harley dealer. Also use HD's "Hogblaster"- Great for removing stash water.