Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   ZL1 Cam Choice (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212882)

2012ZL1 03-29-2012 06:27 PM

ZL1 Cam Choice

Looking for a camshaft upgrade for my Z when it arrives. I see there are a couple choices out there, LS9, Lingenfelter GT9, the street sweeper etc. Any one else been looking of have any comments or suggestions?

2012ZL1 03-29-2012 07:25 PM

ok, well personally, I'm considering the LS9. Its specs are .562/.558 dur @.050 211/230.
These cams are available as cheap as 118.00... so that and the matching springs would be pretty cheap, and a definate upgrade.

The comp cams cams are pretty hairy. The smallest is .624/.624 239/243. 400 bucks
For comparison is Lingenfelters supercharged cam replacement for ZR1.
Its .629/.629 215/247 at about 400 bucks

radz28 03-30-2012 01:07 PM

IMVHO - if you haven't - establish your goals with the car. If you're looking for "only" 600 RWHP, that LS9 cam should be a great choice with only modest supporting upgrades to the intake and exhaust. Consideration of drivability and emissions might also be worth looking into. If you don't care about either, I say go big or go home! I have to take emissions into consideration (which also means drivability, because they go hand-in-hand). I'm been considering LS9's cam, too, but don't really want to tear into the shortblock. It would allow me to push less boost, and lower IATs, but it would be easier for me to pulley-up, as it were.

I also like LS9 cam because it's a factory cam. It's go gobs of engineering and dyno' time, and goes past GM's 100K durability requirements. Therefore - we know that it's not too extreme on the valvetrain and corresponding assemblies (i.e. valve guides, lifters, etc.). You only have to tickle 6500 RPMs, too - though - honestly - I'm not sure of the RPM-limits for the other cams :). You know - I recall stories of borken springs and all that stuff from people running TREX and MS3 or other really hairy cams in LS1s, 6s, 2s, etc. Some reports were from not warming the motors up enough, and others were just because those kinds of cams just beat the piss out of the valvetrain. I recall GM engineers commenting on stock rocker arms really only being effective to about .600"-lift, or something like that, and many people reuse those rockers well into the .650"s...

Regardless - I look forward to what you decide on and see your reports. PLEASE keep is posted. Real-world, internets, and theory are all different things :D

2012ZL1 03-30-2012 02:14 PM

The only thing that worries me is the huge lift on the aftermarket cams. I don't believe our pistons are notched for valve reliefs like the ZR1, but they are dished in a reverse dome. I would check for interference of course, but I don't want to open a big can of worms like that.

Its worrysome already cracking into the motor only to have to change pistons etc. I think I am goint to go with the LS9 unless I find a middle of the road cam. I really don't want to go much over .600 lift anyway.

Emissions aren't a concern to me BTW, so if I knew the bigger ones would clear I guess that would be ok. I am going to continue my research over at the caddy sites to see what they are doing.

radz28 03-30-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 (Post 4730335)
The only thing that worries me is the huge lift on the aftermarket cams. I don't believe our pistons are notched for valve reliefs like the ZR1, but they are dished in a reverse dome. I would check for interference of coarse, but I don't want to open a big can of worms like that. Its worrysome already cracking into the motor only to have to change pistons etc. I think I am goint to go with the LS9 unless I find a middle of the road cam. I really don't want to go much over .600 lift anyway.
Emissions aren't a concern to me BTW, so if I knew the bigger ones would clear I guess that would be ok. I am going to continue my research over at the caddy sites to see what they are doing.

Totally great points! I forgot about PTV!!! PM'ing you...

69 Rebel 03-30-2012 07:01 PM

Also very interested in a cam, will be following this thread closely. Report back your findings guys.

CyberPredator 03-30-2012 07:08 PM

Are you serious right now. If your that worried don't do a cam. Installation of an ls9 cam isn't worth the 15hp. Just do a pulley intake and headers

hognutz 03-30-2012 10:28 PM

I would call a couple places like katech or hennessy or other tunners.

my .02 on cams is the part cost is nothing compared to the labor whether your paying or doing the work yourself. Talk ot people that work onthe engines alot at take all your mods into acount with the grind.

katech uses the Ls9 cam in the CTS-v for the e85 race gas version. henessy uses ported heads and cams for there 700hp version.

I feel like the the ls9 cam alone can't be worth much because they run more boost and only get 40more hp. I think there grind is to get the rpm out of the lighter rods. Cheap part cost but might be a huge gain.

I would look for an aftermaket cam that takes everthing you want to do in account. longtubes etc. even if you not doing the mod now get the cam that will work with it eventually.

2012ZL1 03-31-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPredator (Post 4731790)
Are you serious right now. If your that worried don't do a cam. Installation of an ls9 cam isn't worth the 15hp. Just do a pulley intake and headers

I have LT headers already, btw the cam is worth more than 15 hp.

2012ZL1 03-31-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hognutz (Post 4732990)
I would call a couple places like katech or hennessy or other tunners.

my .02 on cams is the part cost is nothing compared to the labor whether your paying or doing the work yourself. Talk ot people that work onthe engines alot at take all your mods into acount with the grind.

katech uses the Ls9 cam in the CTS-v for the e85 race gas version. henessy uses ported heads and cams for there 700hp version.

I feel like the the ls9 cam alone can't be worth much because they run more boost and only get 40more hp. I think there grind is to get the rpm out of the lighter rods. Cheap part cost but might be a huge gain.

I would look for an aftermaket cam that takes everthing you want to do in account. longtubes etc. even if you not doing the mod now get the cam that will work with it eventually.

Some good points you make.
I am doing other stuff with the cam though.

pulleys (2)
lt headers
tune
cai
injectors
x pipe

ace32x 12-21-2012 11:14 AM

bumping an old thread what size cam did you end up going with? starting research on my own currently and looking for some feed back.

DangerZL1 12-21-2012 02:39 PM

I've looked into cams and really like the KDI TS29 cam. It's larger than the Lingenfelter GT-11, but has less valve lift, so it shouldn't be as hard on the valvetrain. It's supposed to pull hard in the top end and still be mild enough to use with an auto car and the stock converter. Plus, there's a small lope to the sound.

tsnow 12-21-2012 03:31 PM

Good all around cams that are very compatible with stock valve train, other than springs of course-
220-230 duration at .050 with .580-.600 lift. 114-118 lobe separation.

ADM has a couple choices here.

ace32x 12-21-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsnow (Post 5943578)
Good all around cams that are very compatible with stock valve train,
220-230 duration with .580-.600 lift. 114-118 lobe centers.

ADM has a couple choices here.

sweet thanks for the info ill look into thiers, hadnt come across them yet.