Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Sports Lounge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   NFL vs College ........ Overtime Period (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109984)

PQ 10-09-2010 01:53 PM

NFL vs College ........ Overtime Period

I prefer NFL......

Sudden death rocks......

I've recently found out I'm in the minority.

I think the College system sucks.

Your opinions?

If you choose college, you suck. Just sayin'

WadeWilson 10-09-2010 01:59 PM

NFL because I don't like how they get the ball in scoring range in College. You can go three and out and still kick a field goal. They should have to start at the 20 and have to sustain some kind of drive before getting in scoring range.

PQ 10-09-2010 02:02 PM

I hate how you can have a game end up 10 to 10 and go to overtime and the final score be 52 to 53.

And people say sudden death sucks because it's always the team who gets the ball wins.

Last year the NFL overtime ended up 50% - 50% recieving team winning.

So that's a weak argument.

WadeWilson 10-09-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 2423284)
I hate how you can have a game end up 10 to 10 and go to overtime and the final score be 52 to 53.

And people say sudden death sucks because it's always the team who gets the ball wins.

Last year the NFL overtime ended up 50% - 50% recieving team winning.

So that's a weak argument.

:word: I agree completely.

CamaroSkooter 10-09-2010 03:39 PM

I like the college system simply because that means the game can conceivably go on forever, which means more beer to be had, which means more fun :laugh:

I always think it's funny in NFL when they get within kicking distance and on first down they just line up and try for the field goal (cough, Saints, cough) :laugh:

3 SS's 10-11-2010 11:29 AM

I believe the Nfl is better....but I'd like to see each team at least get one chance @ the ball. :iono:

2010-1SS-IBM 10-11-2010 01:33 PM

Both.

Sudden death works for the NFL as they have the playoffs.

The college system works better for the NCAA as they don't have playoffs, so it's more important for each close game to be won based on merit as opposed to a coin toss.

PQ 10-11-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM (Post 2429286)
it's more important for each close game to be won based on merit as opposed to a coin toss.

So then, you are one of those who believe that the coin decides who wins in the NFL?

Again, the team that lost the toss won 50% of the time last year.

If I had my way, there would be no coin toss. The home team would get to choose. THIS way, you have teams playing more for the win at the end of games than settle for a tie and go to OT.

PoorMansCamaro 10-11-2010 03:42 PM

OT rules have changed for the playoffs in the NFL. I think it's changed for the better.

2010-1SS-IBM 10-11-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 2429333)
So then, you are one of those who believe that the coin decides who wins in the NFL?

Again, the team that lost the toss won 50% of the time last year.

Winning the coin toss is definitely an advantage. More importantly in the NFL, it's definitive. Someone wins, someone loses. It's still possible to tie in the regular season, but it's very rare.

College can't do that because a loss during the season usually means that team is out of the national championship hunt. So the NCAA puts a premium on merit versus definitive-ness. You can blow a play in OT and still make it up, etc...

PQ 10-12-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro (Post 2429748)
OT rules have changed for the playoffs in the NFL. I think it's changed for the better.

To what?

PoorMansCamaro 10-12-2010 02:27 AM

The team that loses the coin toss gets a chance to play offense if the winner of the coin toss scores a FG on the FIRST possession.

It's funny because there was a 28-4 vote and the bills were one of the 4 against it. Lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

I hope this gets implemented in the regular season

OctaneZ28 10-12-2010 03:50 PM

I prefer the sudden death approach myself, too.
It takes offense and defense to win a football game!

The "give everyone a chance stuff" is weak IMO.

CaniacFan 10-14-2010 07:35 PM

Neither is perfect. I don't like NFL, cause 85% of teams that win the coin toss win the game with the opposing team never getting to touch the ball - I don't like that. The game shouldn't ride on someone calling "Heads or Tails".

College, you only see primarily offense, limited defense and no special teams. But I prefer this over NFL - at least each team gets a chance on offense. Just my two cents.