Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Will adding RS package to car hurt it's value? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277465)

chevy dude 02-16-2013 11:09 AM

Will adding RS package to car hurt it's value?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 1969 original SS X55 body Camaro,and i was wondering if a RS Grille,tail lamps,back up lights would hurt the cars value if i ever wanted to sell it someday.I attached a pic of the cowl tag,and as far as i know the RS package would have a X21 or X22 code blow the trim level,is that correct?I really prefer the RS package over the standard grille.

flyingskibiker 02-16-2013 06:41 PM

If a car with an X code is a true RS 350, it would be an X11.

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes

As far as value, I think it would all matter who the buyer is/was. Some people start to question everything on a car if they see one thing changed. That would apply to someone who looks closely at "numbers" and wants a car to "be what it is supposed to be"... Other people are more into looks and pro-touring. They could care less about numbers and originality. So, one can usually find the "right" buyer if they are patient enough...

Personally, I would have just waited until I found the car I really wanted. Man, I am still drooling over a '68 Z/28 RS in Sequoia Green that I saw for sale. I think it can still be had (no longer listed). But was still very depressed when I didn't see the listing anymore even though there is no way I can afford it... lol

In the end, it's your car and you can do whatever you feel like doing....

C586 02-16-2013 06:46 PM

Make it the way you want but keep the original parts so you can return it if you sell. Leave it to the new owner to decide. Or throw in the RS stuff for extra cash.

chevy dude 02-16-2013 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info guys,and your right,I probably should have bought a original RS/SS car instead,but this car really appealed to me,plus i bought it locally.I was planning on buying a RS Camaro from Maryland,but the shipping cost was close to $1,000,and that wasn't in my budget.Besides the car i bought has receipts for over $10,000 and has the original 350 motor in it.And i know for a fact it is a real SS Camaro.I have a copy of the original window sticker for the car with Vin #Btw i included a pic of my Frost green camaro

pincoin 02-17-2013 02:24 PM

For as much as I love the RS option, I'd leave it off this car as it is so original.

chevy dude 02-17-2013 03:58 PM

I have been considering the same thing,but the front and rear bumper guards gotta go.It would cost me close to $2,000 to upgrade to the RS package from Camaro Central,not sure if i want to spend that kinda money,but i do love that RS grille:happyanim:

flyingskibiker 02-18-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincoin (Post 6172049)
For as much as I love the RS option, I'd leave it off this car as it is so original.

:word:

GrnMchin 02-18-2013 01:32 AM

100% yes if your car is #'s matching leave it as such that's were the value is at. Changing your front end out is basically bolt on, the tail panel not so much and in the end you loose the appeal of the originality of the car.
It will not bring RS/SS $ because it's not one and loose $ because it's not an original SS car anymore. They are only original once and can be restored, but that cost more $ then you get in return. You see pro-touring and resto mod's
car bring big $ because they cost big $ to do right and one that's not done right loose big $. I seen a few
Me personal. I will look for a non #'s matching car's to mod the crap out of such as an SS Camaro because you can pick them up for a lot less. JMO

Nice car :thumbsup:

itsadryheat79 02-26-2013 01:56 PM

The more #'s matching and original the car is the more it becomes undriveable.
IMHO: Enjoyment is what it's about.
for value - Keep it original and look at it.
for fun - Mod it - drive it and ware out the modded parts.

You might have so much fun you'll never put it back to stock. You can tell your kids they have to help you work on it because they will get rich when they sell it after your gone with all the old parts they know how to put back on. win-win

chevy dude 02-26-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the input Guys.I still have that urge to make it an RS/SS though.I personally don't care that it is an original SS or not,I was looking for an RS car originally,and kinda jumped the gun on this one,partly because it already had A/C which is something i really wanted.all the RS cars i looked at didn't have A/C.and that was a extra expense and hassle for me to add it to the car.I bought the car for a cruiser,not so much to show it,and trailer it around,i bought it to drive it and have fun.
Plus i'm not into the totaly stock look anyway,i prefer a rest-mod look:happyanim:and this car has alot of aftermarket pieces on it already.it just needs a new paint job,and a black houndstooth deluxe interior,crome valve covers and crome air cleaner.

WiSSDiver 02-26-2013 09:02 PM

Looks like you did alright with the local purchase. Nice looking car

ToolFan66 02-26-2013 09:16 PM

I would tub it!!

In a 100 years you or your family are not going to give a rats ass if its original or not..

Very nice car but I would mod rod the crap out of it if my wallet let me!! LOL!!

NSANEBLK 03-07-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy dude (Post 6169443)
Thanks for the info guys,and your right,I probably should have bought a original RS/SS car instead,but this car really appealed to me,plus i bought it locally.I was planning on buying a RS Camaro from Maryland,but the shipping cost was close to $1,000,and that wasn't in my budget.Besides the car i bought has receipts for over $10,000 and has the original 350 motor in it.And i know for a fact it is a real SS Camaro.I have a copy of the original window sticker for the car with Vin #Btw i included a pic of my Frost green camaro

Nice color! (Mine was just repainted the original Frost Green)

If you want the RS then go for it, but I'll second keeping the original parts in case you ever want to go back.

caverman 03-16-2013 09:45 AM

For me....I wouldn't bother. RS option isn't a deal breaker for me and it's going to cost you a bit to get it done. As far as loosing money....unless it's an all numbers matching and I mean everything from rearend to drivetrain to interior etc then it's not really going to matter. People that usually want #'s matching want everything #'s matching.

We had a '67 RS/SS 396 that was a clone and it didn't bring any more or less than it would have otherwise. At least we felt it wouldn't have. You never really know but no one seem to have made it an issue when looking at the car.

Bumper guards.....man I love them. I wouldn't take those off at all....but that's my opinion.

If you plan on keeping it, make the car your own. Put the things you like on it. Just realize that you may not get your money out of things like that RS conversion.

Your car looks good but if it were me I wouldn't spend the money on the RS. I would spend it on some Wilwood 4 wheel discs, lower the rear with Hotckis rear springs, and bring the front down with some tubular A-arms and QA1 coilovers. I'm putting on tubular arms and QA1 on my car right now. Hope to have it finished up this weekend.