Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   USB Stick or MP3 Player (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21100)

catdaddy 05-03-2009 12:50 AM

USB Stick or MP3 Player

Like most of you, I am waiting impatiently for my Camaro to come in. In the mean time, I am thinking of all the things I want to get for it. The first thing I am gonna get is either a USB stick or an MP3 player to dedicate to the car. I know the radio can control both, and I know if will recognize the ID3 tag on the file but I wondering if it will recognize playlists on an MP3 player and allow you to play them or will it just dump all your songs into on list.

If it will, I will buy a small MP3 player and use that, otherwise I can get a USB stick for much cheaper.

I tried searching the threads for an answer to this question but couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks.

2SSJIM 05-03-2009 01:23 AM

I'll connect my iphone up.... let it charge while I liten to music on it!

Xmicro_SS 05-03-2009 02:18 AM

Plus you can hide the USB Stick and if it gets stolen they cost like $10. Stick for sure!

UCF w00t 05-03-2009 02:25 AM

USB flash drive for sure.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...604#post448604

HTWLSS 05-03-2009 12:08 PM

I spent about 8 hours transferring my CD's to a USB stick yesterday in anticipation of our 5th Gen. I hope I did it correctly!

What is going to prevent stuff stored in the console of the car from banging against the USB stick, causing it to loosen up or break off?

trudawg660 05-03-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTWLSS (Post 453766)
I spent about 8 hours transferring my CD's to a USB stick yesterday in anticipation of our 5th Gen. I hope I did it correctly!

What is going to prevent stuff stored in the console of the car from banging against the USB stick, causing it to loosen up or break off?

A usb Extension cord look it up

CWI 05-03-2009 01:46 PM

Why not USB hard drive? Much more music.

trudawg660 05-03-2009 01:49 PM

camaro can only index 10,000 songs and it wont read hard drives.

codeman71 05-04-2009 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdaddy (Post 453070)
Like most of you, I am waiting impatiently for my Camaro to come in. In the mean time, I am thinking of all the things I want to get for it. The first thing I am gonna get is either a USB stick or an MP3 player to dedicate to the car. I know the radio can control both, and I know if will recognize the ID3 tag on the file but I wondering if it will recognize playlists on an MP3 player and allow you to play them or will it just dump all your songs into on list.

If it will, I will buy a small MP3 player and use that, otherwise I can get a USB stick for much cheaper.

I tried searching the threads for an answer to this question but couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks.

I personally think a USB drive is definitely the way to go. You can still do playlists even on a USB drive, so you don't need an MP3 player. The one thing that you might want to consider is the amount of music you have. As has been stated elsewhere, the Camaro can only index 10,000 songs (due to memory limitations). You should still be able to browse all of your music using the 'Folder View' option in the menu, but it won't be indexed by Artist, Album, etc. If you do have a lot of music and need it indexed, you should get an iPod. The iPod does the indexing and stores the index on its hard drive (or flash memory), so there are no song index limits with an iPod.

MontyCarlo 05-04-2009 08:42 AM

Hey Codeman. Will the Camaro dig through subfolders while it's indexing songs? When I transfer music from my PS3 onto a thumb drive, it always goes into a "/Music/Artist_Album" type folder, like "/Music/Metallica_Reload." Is that going to work fine for the Camaro, or do I need to move all the mp3's from all the albums into one big folder?

HTWLSS 05-04-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trudawg660 (Post 453905)
A usb Extension cord look it up

:facepalm:

An extension cable leaves even more in the console to get tangled up. What will keep something in the console from bumping against whatever is plugged into the USB port from getting hit?

UCF w00t 05-04-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Did you make them MP3s or WMAs (only those will work)? If you used iTunes to rip them, make sure you changed the default setting to rip to MP3 instead of AAC!

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman71 (Post 455621)
I personally think a USB drive is definitely the way to go. You can still do playlists even on a USB drive, so you don't need an MP3 player. The one thing that you might want to consider is the amount of music you have. As has been stated elsewhere, the Camaro can only index 10,000 songs (due to memory limitations). You should still be able to browse all of your music using the 'Folder View' option in the menu, but it won't be indexed by Artist, Album, etc. If you do have a lot of music and need it indexed, you should get an iPod. The iPod does the indexing and stores the index on its hard drive (or flash memory), so there are no song index limits with an iPod.

What about with a Zune? When I hooked my Zune up to the Camaro it had to "index" for a minute or two. Will it have this limitation?

Oh and thanks for supporting non-iPods. The Apple haters among us appreciate it greatly.

Crowley 05-04-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Not sure how different it is than the USB connection in my 135i, but I have not had any issues with this for over a year now .....

I think you'll be good to go ..

Crowley

trudawg660 05-04-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTWLSS (Post 456569)
:facepalm:

An extension cable leaves even more in the console to get tangled up. What will keep something in the console from bumping against whatever is plugged into the USB port from getting hit?

well here you go
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Flex...p_ob_e_title_1