Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Hurst Installed! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89964)

Dentyneice 06-16-2010 07:59 PM

Hurst Installed!

Alright! As soon as I saw the package at my doorstep I grabbed it and headed to my local "Rent a Lift" shop :). It took me 3Hrs 20 minutes from driving in to driving out of the shop :bellyroll: but it was a fun adventure.

Notes with the * refer to parts of the pic below which was taken from my iPhone 3G which I thought was pretty amazing for the size and quality.

Some things to note...

1. You don't need a trim tool. Just slide your finger at a spot near the cup holders and pull up, not even a strained lift is needed, one finger could pop it up.

2. Leave the shifter in Neutral. The small bar you have to slide out won't slide out right if it's in 3rd or 4th as it'll hit the side of some metal thing that will be in the way.

3. Before you start unscrewing the transmission's rear cross member (*4 Olive Green circles)for the "Extra Room", try to see if you can access the rubber shield before hand. I actually couldn't figure out how lowering that thing could have helped at all since the rubber thing is straight up from the two large openings where your arms go through (*2x Aqua Blue Squares).

4. You don't need to use a flat screwdriver to pop off the two pins connecting that small bar under the rubber thing under the car. You can rotate the square pins so that when it comes off, it'll fall straight to the ground or in your hand with just a small amount of finger force.

CAUTION! If you do like I did and go straight for the screwdriver method, that pin will FLY! My first one flew under that aluminum shield (*Red Tetris Piece)thing that is screwed under the drive-shaft but found it after 5 minutes of struggling and saying O Shizz... O Shizz.. :yikes: To get it out I just unscrewed one of the nuts (*Aqua Blue Arrow)

5. Reattaching the rubber cover after finishing up under the car was a real pain. I'm glad I don't have giant sausage fingers to work with or I'd probably never get it on. Working from the front of the car to the rear may help.

6. When putting the Hurst Shifter Ball on the screw, it almost lines up perfectly when hand tightened. Just use a wrench to unscrew the nut which will tighten the Ball.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9607/hurstinstall.jpg

Post installation: After testing out the shifter from a stop, it felt like a lot of force is needed to put it into gear but that feeling wore off after a couple miles. Shifting is alot smoother now with almost no buck compared to trying to shift with the stock shifter. By buck I mean trying to time the release of the clutch at the precise moment where the car's rpm is perfectly aligned with the speed of the car and gear you're shifting to which I'm happy about. I've had the car 8 months now and still have had trouble shifting smooth enough for my liking.

All in all, the shifter looks great even with the white pool ball on a CGM/Black Camaro. Whether there is some safety to prevent you from going into Reverse at 70 miles an hour instead of hitting 5th... I don't know. Hopefully there is. This is an awesome shifter and I highly recommend it.

This was the first real mod that I've done the car and it turned out great. Now to decide where to put my Hurst Equipped badge!:D

Apex Motorsports 06-16-2010 08:06 PM

I'm glad your happy with it! Very nice write up.

Dentyneice 06-16-2010 08:17 PM

Thanks Apex, that was really quick shipment btw! Ordered it two days ago, received it today and installed.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I didn't use the dynomat for noise as I was actually hoping for a little chatter during WOT. I haven't stomped on it yet but I've heard 0 chatter at all on the drive home! :mad0260: Oh well, it still has my love :sm0:

Apex Motorsports 06-17-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dentyneice (Post 1992359)
Thanks Apex, that was really quick shipment btw! Ordered it two days ago, received it today and installed.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I didn't use the dynomat for noise as I was actually hoping for a little chatter during WOT. I haven't stomped on it yet but I've heard 0 chatter at all on the drive home! :mad0260: Oh well, it still has my love :sm0:

No problem! We do everything we can to get orders in our customers hands as quickly as possible.

You seem like my kind of driver, not happy unless it's loud and nasty! :headbang: