Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   1LE strut brace or Hochkiss max stru bar?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255456)

Lio Martinez 10-14-2012 05:15 AM

1LE strut brace or Hochkiss max stru bar??

Since the 2013 Camaro 1LE already cones with the GM strut brace also used on the convertible Camaro.:.. any idea regarding if switching it for the Hotchkiss max strut bar will increase handling... Or is it just better as it is ? ?

Also anyone side switching the stock springs to performance lowering springs...? Since the ones that come in the 1LE are the same as the SS .

SUKXOST 10-14-2012 06:31 AM

I already have Pfadt's springs sitting in my garage :P

Doglife1LE 10-14-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUKXOST (Post 5691797)

Sweet! We are going to need some before and after photos plus a quick review on the differences between the two. :thumbup:

Lio Martinez 10-14-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUKXOST (Post 5691797)

How much do those lower the car ?

Lumino1LE 10-14-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lio Martinez (Post 5691753)
Since the 2013 Camaro 1LE already cones with the GM strut brace also used on the convertible Camaro.:.. any idea regarding if switching it for the Hotchkiss max strut bar will increase handling... Or is it just better as it is ? ?

Also anyone side switching the stock springs to performance lowering springs...? Since the ones that come in the 1LE are the same as the SS .

Higher cost/Famous brand strut bars don't improve performance. Remember that the main purpose of the strut bar is to reduce chassis flex. The one that comes from GM/Chevy will do the job.

Don't waste your money.

caverman 10-14-2012 08:30 PM

Not only that but Justice Pete recommends not running one at all.

toehead93 10-15-2012 04:18 PM

Yes, but this car is balanced and designed with one, the regular SS is not and adding a struct bar could upset the balance.

Lumino1LE 10-15-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 5697156)
Yes, but this car is balanced and designed with one, the regular SS is not and adding a struct bar could upset the balance.

No offense, but no. A strut bar is going to add rigidity to the front of the car to give you better control. If you're only street driving, it won't matter. If you're tracking the car, it makes a huge difference.

Lio Martinez 10-15-2012 08:52 PM

I also think the strut bar makes a huge difference in handling.... And it probably be good to keep it like it is but in a regular SS without one I bet the Hotchkiss will be great.. I'm talking cause i had the sane one on my v6 and it fits v8 also.. but sold it this weekend already so I'm keeping tge stock one

z28racer 10-15-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lio Martinez (Post 5691753)

:yikes::confused0068::facepalm:

Lio Martinez 10-15-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28racer (Post 5698276)
:yikes::confused0068::facepalm:

Well Thanks so much for those helpful faces

Synner 10-15-2012 09:25 PM

Save the money on the brace and get a performance alignment, you'd get far more benefit. Would there be a marginal difference in stiffness between OEM and tubular steel? Yes. Would you achieve much of a difference? Nope.

Or save up for a down payment for coilovers. Best track day purchase ever. Springs will always be a compromise to stock valving if you're serious about going fast and flogging it at track days.

toehead93 10-15-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumino1LE (Post 5698221)
No offense, but no. A strut bar is going to add rigidity to the front of the car to give you better control. If you're only street driving, it won't matter. If you're tracking the car, it makes a huge difference.

I know this, but i was agreeing with caverman that pete said for an SS they do not recommend the strut bar because it makes the front too stiff. The 1LE is a different story as it is designed and balanced with a bar.

VR Baron 10-15-2012 10:43 PM

I added the GM strut brace and it works fine. Not stiff and you do notice a subtle difference in the front, slightly quicker turn in and the front is more solid over bumps and more composed.In ther auto x I didnt notice anything much as the car understeers way to much still in stock form. As far as to stiff, the 1le has the same springs and bigger bars so cant see how it hurts. Bigger bars going on it anyway.