Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Battery tenders and BOOM!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302165)

babaron 06-16-2013 08:58 AM

Battery tenders and BOOM!!

So I read a story about a battery explosion from being left on a tender and now I'm afraid use either of my 2 tenders.

I use the Schumacher $20 tenders from Advanced Auto. Do I need to worry and how do I prevent an explosion?:confused:

Thanks!!

Ron

RJT-SS 06-16-2013 06:50 PM

I would like to know more about the details of those stories. Tenders are designed to remain on the battery. I use a Battery Tender brand tender and have not had any issues.

The Stig 06-16-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJT-SS (Post 6677649)
I would like to know more about the details of those stories. Tenders are designed to remain on the battery. I use a Battery Tender brand tender and have not had any issues.

This.

kjkjr27 06-16-2013 07:24 PM

This may be a stupid question but can I have my battery connected to the car and hooked up to a tendor during the winter? Had a little trouble after winter storage with emissions since all my system reset since my battery was disconnected.

93B4C 06-16-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjkjr27 (Post 6677763)
This may be a stupid question but can I have my battery connected to the car and hooked up to a tendor during the winter? Had a little trouble after winter storage with emissions since all my system reset since my battery was disconnected.

Yes, I have done this numerous times over the winters. Just make sure it's a "smart" tender (although most are now these days?). I've primarily used the Deltran, never had any issues with my Camaros or motorcycles. If you start the car every so often, disconnect the tender first.

RJT-SS 06-17-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93B4C (Post 6678221)
Yes, I have done this numerous times over the winters. Just make sure it's a "smart" tender (although most are now these days?). I've primarily used the Deltran, never had any issues with my Camaros or motorcycles. If you start the car every so often, disconnect the tender first.

+1

kjkjr27 06-17-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93B4C (Post 6678221)

Cool thanks. I have the one that is suppose to shut off when the battery is fully charged. I say supposed cause never actually saw it happen but good info to know thanks again.

DARK AGE 53 06-18-2013 05:19 AM

I've been using the Teltran Battery Tenders Plus brand for over 10 years with no problems, during the winter months the Battery Tenders are left on 100% of the time.

OP, did the story mention what brand of battery tender was being used, in fact was it a battery tender or a battery charger being used in the trickle mode?

bpoole38 06-18-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6677740)
This.

Stig, was the fire because of a battery tender?

AKA-22 06-18-2013 07:58 AM

babaron 06-19-2013 08:49 PM

It said it was a Deltran battery tender on an AC Delco Freedom Battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 (Post 6683746)
I've been using the Teltran Battery Tenders Plus brand for over 10 years with no problems, during the winter months the Battery Tenders are left on 100% of the time.

OP, did the story mention what brand of battery tender was being used, in fact was it a battery tender or a battery charger being used in the trickle mode?

93B4C 06-20-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babaron (Post 6691485)
It said it was a Deltran battery tender on an AC Delco Freedom Battery.

Oh boy, that's not good. :thumbdown: Any other info? Age & condition of the battery? Was there a power surge? Was an extension cord used, if so how long was it & was it heavy duty? I'm no expert, but there are too many other factors possibly affecting this. :dizzy:

RJT-SS 06-20-2013 08:44 AM

I use a Deltran Battery Tender Jr on the OEM original battery. It is permanently connected using the ring lugs. When it is plugged in, I keep the plug module outside the car and it is plugged into a heavy gauge extension cord. I also do not latch the trunk when it is plugged in. So far, it's worked as advertised with no problems.

lbls1 08-24-2013 11:14 PM

I have used the Deltran tenders for about 6 years, and I've had no battery run downs or problems since. This is a first for me hearing about a catastrophe with one of them. Mine is left on 24-7 as well.