Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Dr Jkel's New Home (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138147)

Dr Jkel 03-31-2011 07:13 AM

Dr Jkel's New Home

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

I would like to Thank Tran for making this section as I think it is greatly beneficial to alot of people here on Camaro 5.

With the purchase of my Camaro ( Dr Jkel ) my old truck ( Mr. Hyde)completion ( HOPEFULLY REAL SOON) and a few other toys I decided to build a new garage. Being a contractor for many years I may have a little insight that might just help some of those out there who are thinking about building one or having one built. While my license is in the state of Alabama, garages are pretty much standard but I will try to answer any questions you may have.

So I will add a few pictures as we go along giving you a few particulars along the way so that you can kinda see a cost associated with these items.

The "Garage" is 42' wide by 30 ' deep. The walls are 12 foot high. The back area is for my boys to shoot basketball and it is 20 x 20. Total amount of concrete used on both slabs was 35 yards since I poured the garage floor thicker than 4" since I will be putting a lift in at a later time.

BigCarrot 03-31-2011 08:19 AM

Looks nice =) This is a nice addition

Dr Jkel 03-31-2011 09:09 AM

Thanks Carrot. Siding is now on along with the roof, most of the wiring has been completed and I have a few air lines to run and that will be completed as well.

Grading was completed last week and the driveway was poured last Friday. The weather has not been all that good to take pictures but I will try and update this thread with pictures this afternoon.

Since the garage doors are not Standard 7 ' heights, as I went with 8' heights since my truck has a 6" lift on it , they are special order and are taking a couple of weeks to get. The doors ar 10' wide with the door in the middle being 16' wide. This will allow for ease of movement in and out of the garage if I have to trailer anything plus putting my boat inside will be easier with wider doors.

MTNdew 03-31-2011 08:29 PM

looks good :thumbup:

fargomike 03-31-2011 08:39 PM

Always football season in Alabama isnt it !

garcmol 04-01-2011 06:27 AM

Hey, this is cool! A whole 'Man Cave' section! John I want to see that Vette in there!

Dr Jkel 04-01-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargomike (Post 3037918)
Always football season in Alabama isnt it !

Fargo. Before every Alabama home football game they play this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLGWTQxbVck

Once you watch it you will understand everyday is football season in Alabama, 365, 24/7 just like it says at someplaces they play football, at Alabama we live it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 3039347)
Hey, this is cool! A whole 'Man Cave' section! John I want to see that Vette in there!

NORM ( Reminds me of Cheers) well except you are 180 pounds lighter. You are so correct, Dr Jkel, Mr Hyde ( Hopefully Soon) Skeeter the boat and the Vette will be in the Garage. I am trying to decide if on one end to buy a 4 post lift for storage purposes or not.

I still have enough space for 3 cars at the house so I am good now for all my stuff.

One end will have a lift to work on cars, and the Firebird is first in line depending on Mr. Hyde's outcome, it may have to be finished first.

I will post some updated pictures this afternoon.

fargomike 04-01-2011 12:12 PM

Jkel , I hear you . I am a HUUUUGE UA fan , get down there for a game as much as I can . Roll Tide !

Dr Jkel 04-01-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargomike (Post 3040584)
Jkel , I hear you . I am a HUUUUGE UA fan , get down there for a game as much as I can . Roll Tide !

OH YEAH ROLL TIDE ROLL:D:D:D:D. Now you see why my car is RJT no other color would do. :laughabove: Of course Mr. Hyde is roughly the same color as well :D

I am a Season Ticket Holder so if you make it down this year for a game let me know and we can meet up. Roll Tide. Amen

2010 SSRS 04-01-2011 12:19 PM

Wow, I need a garage like that, that is awesome.

viper1cobra 04-01-2011 01:01 PM

Looks great so far.:thumbup:

Dr Jkel 04-01-2011 03:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OK here are some update picture of the progress of the garage. Siding is completed, gutters installed, driveway laid, rough electrical ran, rough air lines ran. Some exterior lighting installed. Coming together. Enjoy.

Driveway has 40 yards of concrete.

garcmol 04-01-2011 03:35 PM

Hey that's looking great. Here we pay about $85 a yard for concrete (average). Did you run power out of the house to the garage?

John I could pick your brain over "building" how-to's all day.

Dr Jkel 04-01-2011 04:43 PM

I paid 72.00 a yard for the concrete. I used a total of 90 yards on the entire project. I set up a different service since it would cost he Power Co too much to run the main line.It is on the left side of the building, not hooked up yet but the meter can is there. They ( Alabama Power) require that they run that, plus it would have to go underground and it was more cost effective for them to just run it from the street on the back of our house.

Any questions you have I will gladly answer about building as I have been building since I was 15, so I have a little bit of experience but always learning. That is why I like this section so much, hopefully people can learn alot from it as well as me with new ideas.

It did not hurt that I build houses and deal with them alot.