Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   tune cables (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296234)

solteroblues 05-18-2013 09:54 AM

tune cables

can you use a standard obd-ii to usb scan cable to install flashed tunings? I already have one of those, and Trifecta and the others charge $200 for theirs, it doesn't look any different. The cost of the cable is a big deterrent to me forking over the total cost of the tune!

Thanks!

camaro_RS 05-18-2013 10:03 AM

Not sure if you can use that....but if you look in the members classified section here you will find someone trying to sell their tune cable. I recently got one for $75...which I thought was a pretty good deal considering that's half off of the cheapest I found a new one to be.

solteroblues 05-18-2013 10:45 AM

Does anyone ever loan theirs out? I really don't see using it more than the initial tune and then the 1-2 follow ups. Seems like such a huge expense for something so seldom used. Kind of like my wife's $450 juicer!

pgustavson 05-18-2013 09:15 PM

If you're not in a rush to get the tune, BNR runs free-cable sales from time to time. I got in one one last September. Don't know if they have one planned for any time soon, but I thought I'd just throw that out there...

solteroblues 05-18-2013 09:18 PM

Wow, that would be great. They offer a loaner program, but you still have to come up with the $200 deposit up front.

KMPrenger 05-19-2013 11:37 AM

Not 100% sure yet, but I may have my red cable up for sale for a decent price within a few weeks.

Swarm 05-19-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6562608)
Not 100% sure yet, but I may have my red cable up for sale for a decent price within a few weeks.

going for IPF?

KMPrenger 05-19-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swarm (Post 6562689)
going for IPF?

Well, that's the ultimate goal, but not immediately. I plan to post more about it once I've had more seat time, but just to say quickly, I went back to the stock tune and now I'm wondering if the Trifecta tune was really adding any performance at all.

camaro_RS 05-19-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6562706)
Well, that's the ultimate goal, but not immediately. I plan to post more about it once I've had more seat time, but just to say quickly, I went back to the stock tune and now I'm wondering if the Trifecta tune was really adding any performance at all.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

menendez1293 05-19-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6562706)

In reality the Trifecta has never had a solid reputation with giving a good increase in power. It is mainly used to clear the CEL for people with headers and making the shifts more aggressive if asked for. Other than those two things the only thing that is different about the Trifecta is the Ghost Cam. When I get LT and i can afford the IPF that is what i will go for but if not I might just go with Trifecta.

solteroblues 05-19-2013 08:58 PM

I'm mainly concerned with shift firmness so the hypertech can give me that, but I'm also planning on getting a ported tb. I don't know anything about the ipf, but isn't it about twice as expensive?

camaro_RS 05-19-2013 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=solteroblues;6564318]I'm mainly concerned with shift firmness so the hypertech can give me that, but I'm also planning on getting a ported tb. I don't know anything about the ipf, but isn't it about twice as expensive?[/QUOTE]

Depending on your mods.....yes.

solteroblues 05-19-2013 09:38 PM

So do really think there's no gain from the trifecta tune?

Swarm 05-20-2013 06:40 AM

The question is, is the power difference between the two tunes is worth the switch?
Pretty sure there is gain with trifecta, but less than IPF it seems