Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2011 2SS LS3 (223 mi.) about to go into Perf shop, Need some opinions... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115568)

CYBER69 11-14-2010 06:06 PM

2011 2SS LS3 (223 mi.) about to go into Perf shop, Need some opinions...

New to the Blog... Just received a 2011 2SS LS3 as a suprise, for my 50th birthday ( had a 69 396 convertible before kids; yes I have a great Wife and no, she does not have any sisters).... anyway was looking for some tips since "ol Betsy" is going straight into the perf shop. I was looking at JBA shorty Headers, Borla Axel Back Exhaust and K&N Cold air intake with a Xcal3 programmer. The questions:
- Does any of the above void any manufacture warranty?
- Is there a big difference between the CAT Back vice the Axel back exhaust?
- Does anyone have any experience with 4:10's gears vice the stock 327's?
- What is the rated RWHP of the stock 426HP LS3 camaro?
- recommendations for a short throw shifter?

** If I am in the wrong post... pls point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance for your.....:help:

Smoky10 11-14-2010 06:22 PM

I just installed the hurst shifter and I love it. The tune will void your warranty. And I've heard that a lot of the guys on this site are really happy with Borla exhaust, I was actually planning on picking up the S-type borla exhaust system

john468 11-14-2010 06:26 PM

Good Luck, I still have my 68 SS Big Block. As far as I heard the shortys don't do to much as far as HP need Long Tubes but then you need a tune to shut the check engine light off and then thats it for the warrenty. I'm just going to ride with the light on with no tune Look into the Vararam cold air I have the CAI and I am not happy with it do read a lot cat back and axle back are ok rwhp for the 425 is about 375 Do you have a stick or auto if its a auto its a L99 400 HP at the crank Can't tell you about the shifter i have a auto and the gears for the stick are 345's I think the 327's are for auto. I have read guys are putting in 373's with good luck. Do a lot of reading this is all new to me also I'm 57 an old school. But read between the lines on some of the tests commissions effect out comes sometimes. Some of the prices are out of this world over a thousand dollars for headers is crazy when in a few years they will two hundred, If you want pm me and I will tell you what I have found out about some of the products and companies. Just my 2 cent worth but beware of your pockets

agkelly73 11-14-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYBER69 (Post 2546160)
New to the Blog... Just received a 2011 2SS LS3 as a suprise, for my 50th birthday ( had a 69 396 convertible before kids; yes I have a great Wife and no, she does not have any sisters).... anyway was looking for some tips since "ol Betsy" is going straight into the perf shop. I was looking at JBA shorty Headers, Borla Axel Back Exhaust and K&N Cold air intake with a Xcal3 programmer. The questions:

** If I am in the wrong post... pls point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance for your.....:help:

Cyber, gratz on the new addition to the family!! A lot of folks here will say shorties are a waste of time and if you are going to tinker with the exhaust then go full blown long tube headers. It all depends on what you want to do in my opinion. However, that being said, most of my friends have done long tubes and there is a noticeable difference in performance. If you are looking to avoid long tubes and are definately thinking shorties, maybe consider going with "high flow" cats from Solo or JBA. Both will bolt up to the stock manifolds but improve flow according to their manufacturers. A friend of mine installed the Solo's on his LS3 and said there was definately in improvement. As far as cat back vs axle back, axle back is mainly for for sound. Some cat backs will improve performance as most provide a nice x-pipe to improve flow. RWHP is around 375 or so for a stock LS3. Friends of mine with long tubes, cat back, cold air intake and tune are pushing 400-405 rwhp to give you an idea. I can't attest to the gear ratio as I have an A6 and none of my friends have replace the gears in their LS3's but I have read in this forum that most LS3 owners go with 4:10s and are VERY happy with them. As far as a short throw shifter goes, again I have an auto however I have driven my friend's LS3 with a short throw shifter from MTI Racing and it is awesome! I've driven mostly manuals since 1991 and this was amazing. Very tight gear box, very little play side to side and you can definately tell you are locking it into a gear. Was great and a blast to drive that way. As far as a programmer, you can actually get away with a Diablosport Predator as these don't have automatic transmission support and are perfect for manuals. I on the other hand, would benefit more from the SCT X3 as it supports auto transmission tuning, something the LS3s don't need. Jannetty Racing (Ted Jannetty) sells either and will wright you a custom tune when you buy the tuner. For cold air intakes, I personally have a Halltech Yellow Jacket. Two friend's of mine have Cold Air Induction's intake and one has a K&N. I would say after reading on this forum, most would say CAI's intake. Jannetty did an independent testing and CAI's intake performed better than most. Warranty: This is a debated subject all over this thread, technically if your dealer wants to be an a$$ about it they could try and void it over anything. In the famous words of so many on this forum, "You have to pay to play" and that's about all I'll say on that.

CYBER69 11-15-2010 11:25 AM

WOW, Great stuff.... and thanks to all for the replies.... I really don't want to void the warranty so I am going to try to go around it.

NickJRE 11-22-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYBER69 (Post 2546160)
New to the Blog

1) Technically speaking they all void the warranty minus the axleback. If you go in for an oil change and they see the cold air kit, will they void your warranty? No.. You have to give them a reason to void the warranty. If keeping your warranty is top priority, I'd suggest probably not doing a tune.

2) Nope, we've tested multiple systems and we have yet to see any type of cat-back or axle back make more power over the stock exhaust. Only sound changes.

3) 4:10's = lots of fun. It's like a whole new car with the 4.10's. Wish I could explain it but you would have to drive one.

4) We typically see 370-375 from a stock LS3 car. With our street package which contains Headers, Cold Air Kit, SCT Programmer with custom tune we see around 415 RWHP.

5) Barton, MGW, Hurst.

Jason 98 TA 11-22-2010 08:50 AM

You might checkout when I dyno tested a shorty header setup here @ TSP. I think you'll find that is a total waste of money. I liked my 4.10 gear set pretty well in my heads/cam car. 3.73 would probably also be a nice swap.

Russell James 11-22-2010 08:52 AM

If warranty is a primary concern, I'd do this:

CAI, can easily swap back on the stock airbox if you need warranty work. Many of them work perfectly with no tuning required. There is a big thread that compares them all. I have a Halltech and it works great.

Shifter - GM has a factory Hurst coming. There should be an over the counter version out in a couple months. I'm waiting for that. Since it will be a GM accessory, no warranty issue.

I'd pick your favorite sounding axle back mufflers. Nothing wrong with the front section of the LS3 exhaust. The factory LS3 H- pipe works perfectly. There is some hp loss in the cats. High flow cats will gain you a bit, and you could swap the stock ones back for any trips in for warranty. Shorty headers? I'd ask your dealer's service manager for their opinion if they will raise a stink if they see them. Gray area.

Gears, warranty will be done. Not only from the aftermarket gears but from the tuning needed to correct the speedo. Also the 4.10s seem to be a bit fragile in this small of ring and pinion config. The 3.73s are stronger.