Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a camaro convertible? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119201)

Allanski 12-08-2010 08:33 PM

2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a camaro convertible?

1 Attachment(s)
2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a convertible? It could be...

dgformula2k 12-08-2010 08:37 PM

could be, it should be! Arctic White with IOM stripes and matching IOM interior.

MLL67RSSS 12-09-2010 06:26 AM

First off I've yet to get any insider info so this is mere speculation. It will be announced just after Xmas. However here's what's got me wondering. What is the motivation and reasoning for those Z28 mules running around with a huge IMS Centennial logo's on the doors? Why would GM want to put them on there and why would the Speedway allow them to? It could be totally unrelated of course.
A possible senario would be Z28's as the actual track pace car (three of them actually), and some/all of the fleet of event/festival cars being 'verts. Many times over the years the event/festival cars have differed from the actual pace car(s). We'll see pretty soon!!!!!:chevy:

Sir Nuke 12-09-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgformula2k (Post 2620694)
could be, it should be! Arctic White with IOM stripes and matching IOM interior.

:word: if GM doesn't make it the above......whomever made the decision not to should be taken out and beaten in a public forum.

Memphis SS 12-09-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 2621596)
:word: if GM doesn't make it the above......whomever made the decision not to should be taken out and beaten in a public forum.

LOL... I agree.. Since I have a 2011 white with IOM strips I would love to see it as a pace car this coming year.. I might have to add a indy decal to the back trunk lid across from the SS if it is the case.. ;)

Come on GM make it so!! :D

Memphis SS 12-09-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS (Post 2621496)
First off I've yet to get any insider info so this is mere speculation. It will be announced just after Xmas. However here's what's got me wondering. What is the motivation and reasoning for those Z28 mules running around with a huge IMS Centennial logo's on the doors? Why would GM want to put them on there and why would the Speedway allow them to? It could be totally unrelated of course.
A possible senario would be Z28's as the actual track pace car (three of them actually), and some/all of the fleet of event/festival cars being 'verts. Many times over the years the event/festival cars have differed from the actual pace car(s). We'll see pretty soon!!!!!:chevy:

I like your thoughts on that one. I hope they do use the Indy 500 to unveil the Z28. I try and make the Indy 500 about every few years. Lots of fun. I have family in Crawfordsville Indiana. I use to go to the race every year, did that for about 9 years but work and other things got in the way so don't get to go as much anymore.

rocketman 12 12-09-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS (Post 2621496)

I've been thinking that since those first pics from Cali came out, seems likely to me, the part about the Z being the pace car, hadn't thought about the verts being used as event cars, that would be cool, though. Just think about it, would there be a better way to officially unveil the new Z28? Other than possibly Daytona, I doubt it.....:chevy::popcorn:

Mr_Draco 12-09-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allanski (Post 2620683)
2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a convertible? It could be...

I don't think they are allowed to for safety reasons.

Also how would they install the light bar on the roof of a vert?

MS3DALE 12-09-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 2621773)

I'm pretty sure thats now the case,no convertibles for safety reasons.
However they could use them as "parade" or festival cars.

Memphis SS 12-09-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 2621773)

Also how would they install the light bar on the roof of a vert?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS3DALE (Post 2621828)
I'm pretty sure thats now the case,no convertibles for safety reasons.
However they could use them as "parade" or festival cars.

Light bars can be attached to the rear deck or integrated into the head rest area like the Corvette. I've also seen them add a roll bar to the vert and integrate the lights in that.

Not sure where you getting your info on this.. There have been several convertibles over the years as pace cars and as late as 2007. If you read anything from the speedway on changes regarding the use of verts please post .. Thanks

Here a few pictures of the last few verts used
2007 Corvette pace car

http://www.indypacecars.com/photos/2007/07corvette4.jpg

2005 Corvette Pace Car

http://www.indypacecars.com/photos/2005/05corvette2.jpg

2003 SSR Pace Car

http://www.indypacecars.com/photos/2003/03ssr1.jpg

RAdams 12-09-2010 09:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgformula2k (Post 2620694)

:thumbup: From one of this summer's car shows:

(White with blue isn't too bad either!)

ZED SLED 12-09-2010 12:02 PM

Will it be a Camaro? Wouldn't surprise me to see some ricer or Ford Fusion hybrid.

MLL67RSSS 12-09-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclark10 (Post 2622292)
Will it be a Camaro? Wouldn't surprise me to see some ricer or Ford Fusion hybrid.

Most definitely NOT!!!!!!! GM currently has the contract with IMS to supply pace cars and support vehicles. There was talk of Ford taking over the contract a couple of years ago or so, but the deal fell through. Also with Chevrolet joining the IRL as a supplier in 2012 (engines/aero packages), I don't think GM will be letting go of that contract with IMS for a while.

Also white with orange stripes has been done already, TWICE. In '69 for the 500 and in '96 for the third Brickyard 400. How about they do it in white with blue as a tribute the very first Camaro pace car. Not that I'm impartial or anything!;)

Buffnshine 12-09-2010 12:34 PM

all valid thoughts, here is another one the anouncement of Chevrolet power being reintroduced to INDY for an engine...would all be a good tie in