Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   2012 Camaro Z28: Possible Factory Delivery Option?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116511)

TAG UR IT 11-20-2010 11:50 PM

2012 Camaro Z28: Possible Factory Delivery Option??

If an ordering option existed for the possible upcoming Z28 where you could pick up your Camaro from the factory, what do you think should be included with this option and what price would you be willing to pay?

Some examples could include...
  1. All build documents...
  2. Pictures of your car being built along the line...
  3. Tour of the plant...
  4. Getting the opportunity to help build your car in one fashion or another...
  5. Taking your new Z28 to the Mosport International Raceway for some one on one driving lessons after pickup...

If you are interested in buying a Z28, I'd love to hear your input on a possible "pick up and delivery from the plant" option. This would be similar to the pick up and delivery of a new corvette from the Bowling Green Assemply Plant and museum.

Please try not to get unrealistic with your ideas (ie: option costs $300 and you get to build the engine, and everything else possible). Let's figure the option to be around .....say....$1,500.00 to try to keep it reasonable....I mean...with all build paperwork, type of tour, etc, and all (if it were possible).

Ideas?

Mr. Wyndham 11-21-2010 12:52 AM

If I were to get the Z28...I'm thinking I'd be about tapped as far as $$ goes. So an extra $1500 for a delivery option would be out of the question.

I think the Corvette's factory delivery is something like $450? If I remember right, that's a tour of the plant, and a museum pass, too. If paperwork and pictures could be added in there for a small amount more ($50-$100)...somewhere in that $550-600.00 range could be doable, and really cool, too!! :headbang:

I think the ZR1 comes with a "learn to drive your car" feature with every purchase just because of that vehicle's insane abilities. If anyone bought a Z28 and wanted to take a performance driving course (highly advised, imo), they could probably opt for it themselves, instead of getting a 'factory option'.

My .02...any more expensive than $600.00, and I think it becomes a passed-over option in favor of some other things.

armysig 11-21-2010 01:00 AM

I'd love to have the chance to help put the power plant together, I.E. Help put the transmission together with the engine. Now that would be a great experience.

It would be nice to have the chance to maybe even have a build book put together. Have a photographer take pictures of how the car is assembled and when it receives it's VIN. I would pay 300 to 500 for that option.

TAG UR IT 11-21-2010 01:07 AM

:D

I remember when placing my order for my SS. I wanted nothing more than to be there...take part in the build....do ANYTHING I could do to be a part of the build and or take delivery of my SS at the plant....so much as to pay extra to get that option.

When that wasn't an option, I begged to have everyone who had a hand in building my car, sign my car. I mean....it was a huge ordeal for me. It was a major thing. I'd just love to see that as an option....you know. That'd be TOO cool!

v6sonoma 11-21-2010 01:29 AM

Hell if I was given the option I would have paid the $5000 they charge to build your own engine. (maybe I could have slipped a nice cam in at the time under warranty :rolleyes: )

Orange Krate 11-21-2010 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From all I have read and heard DOCUMENTATION is the biggest thing for these cars if you want to retain long term value. I would give my front seat in hades to be able to be there for the birthing process. But a video coming down the line along with all the still shots (QC cams?) thrown in for good measure would be awesome. It would also be nice to have an engraved plate either for the dash or engine compartment that says "This car built especially for... on (date) at Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. I do like the idea of having the plant workers sign a master copy of the "birth certificate" which is also thrown in the mix.

Mr Twisty 11-21-2010 07:20 AM

A plane ticket to Oshawa and lodging would be additional expenses as well, so, it will get pricey quick!

Could also be border issues as well... registration, ins. etc.

Epitaph 11-21-2010 07:46 AM

If I could afford it, there's no doubt about it.
I would like:

1/4 mile drag strip, as well as road course lessons. As soon as we're graduated give us a few hours of time to tear up the track.

hotrodhoodrat 11-21-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Krate (Post 2566809)
From all I have read and heard DOCUMENTATION is the biggest thing for these cars if you want to retain long term value. I would give my front seat in hades to be able to be there for the birthing process. But a video coming down the line along with all the still shots (QC cams?) thrown in for good measure would be awesome. It would also be nice to have an engraved plate either for the dash or engine compartment that says "This car built especially for... on (date) at Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. I do like the idea of having the plant workers sign a master copy of the "birth certificate" which is also thrown in the mix.

:word:+1

TAG UR IT 11-21-2010 10:31 AM

Well, it would be a one way ticket (most likely)...if you are going to drive it back. One ways are too much.

You could get a passport if you wanted.

I'm sure the "over the border" thing could easily be worked out. You buy it in the states from your dealer, check the option, but pick it up in Canada to drive back. Heck, I'm sure you could have it shipped if you wanted. But, what's the point of buying this bad boy if it can't be driven!!!

What I'd have given to have been at the plant....ugh....

I'm just saying...if GM made this an option...

HOW AWESOME would that be...

Mr Twisty 11-21-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 2567252)
Well, it would be a one way ticket (most likely)...if you are going to drive it back. One ways are too much.

You could get a passport if you wanted.

I'm sure the "over the border" thing could easily be worked out. You buy it in the states from your dealer, check the option, but pick it up in Canada to drive back. Heck, I'm sure you could have it shipped if you wanted. But, what's the point of buying this bad boy if it can't be driven!!!

What I'd have given to have been at the plant....ugh....

I'm just saying...if GM made this an option...

HOW AWESOME would that be...

Awesome would be an understatement :headbang:

TAG UR IT 11-21-2010 12:50 PM

How many other manufacturers offer something like this?

You want to talk about brand loyalty and ownership pride?

....mm hmm...

Mark H 11-21-2010 01:04 PM

that would be cool.
wheres number3

Russell James 11-21-2010 01:29 PM

Corvette does it at Bowling Green, but there is a huge ripoff in the deal. You still have to pay the destination charge, even though you picked it up yourself at the plant.

I would do a pick up at the Camaro plant for my next Camaro, but only if they knock off the $850 destination charge. I'm not paying nearly a grand for something that did not occur.