Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gaining Horsepower By Pulling A Couple Fuses! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292348)

Apex Motorsports 04-29-2013 04:12 PM

Gaining Horsepower By Pulling A Couple Fuses!

1 Attachment(s)
If you are new to owning a 2010+ Camaro SS equipped with the L99 or LS3 V8 engine, then you may not be aware of a simple trick that could unleash a few extra horsepower.

There are two specific spark timing tables housed in the memory of the vehicle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM). One is used for cars running high octane fuel and the other for when the vehicle is using low octane fuels. Whenever you drive the vehicle, the ECM is constantly making decisions based on the data it receives from all of the sensors in the engine and exhaust.

The problem:

It seems that if someone puts a low octane fuel into the tank, the vehicle can’t recover from the low octane table. Once in the low octane table the car will continue to use that information even if you are now using a higher octane fuel. Of course the side effect of this is sluggish performance, and we don’t really need to explain the benefits of running a higher octane fuel in a performance application. If you recently purchased your Camaro you wouldn’t be incorrect in thinking that it isn’t uncommon that at some point the car was filled with a less potent gasoline, especially if it came from a used car dealership or from an owner who was uninformed of this problem and wanted to save a few bucks at the pump. The LTFT’s are, unfortunately, a part of the car’s non-volatile memory. That means the information is stored there, and doesn’t reset when the vehicle is turned off.

However, there is a way around this problem. Although the spark tables are part of the non-volatile memory and cannot be removed, they can be reset. A simple solution is to remove a couple of fuses from the fuse block in the engine compartment. Pulling the fuses will allow your Camaro’s ECM to reset itself to the high octane table. If you are running high octane fuel then it remain in the high table until the ECM again detects a low octane fuel.

The fix:

First, make sure the car is empty of the low octane fuel. Run the tank down low and refuel with high octane. You might consider running a tank or two through before attempting the fuse pull. Once you have better gasoline in the system, locate the two fuses shown in the diagram below. They are in the fuse box located on the passenger side of the vehicle’s engine bay. The fuses are in position #5 and #20. Remove each of these 15 amp fuses and allow the car to sit for a period of at least a few hours. There is a small, grey fuse pulling tool located on the fuse panel (In the image below it would be in the lower right corner area). That should make the pulling of the fuses easier. If possible, remove the fuses and allow the car to sit overnight. Once they have been out for several hours, replace the fuses. When started, the car will attempt to use the high octane fuel trims first, and if you keep high octane fuel in the car it should remain on the higher table permanently. Of course, lowered octane fuel in the tank means repeating the process.

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/wp-c.../fuse_pull.jpg

jbrown13 04-29-2013 04:18 PM

Good info Chase. If one has a 93 octane aftermarket tune on his motor does that negate the need to do this?

jim's2ssrs 04-29-2013 06:00 PM

Didn't IndeedSS1 show that, on an LS3 at least, the ECM reverted back to the high octane table after some time without a fuse pull? I believe this was done back in October/November 2012.

11TexaSS 04-29-2013 08:54 PM

Sure it's been asked before but here it goes. Does this apply to a car that has been dyno tuned or would the tune already take care of it??

Thanks!

Rhyder 04-29-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim's2ssrs (Post 6484492)
Didn't IndeedSS1 show that, on an LS3 at least, the ECM reverted back to the high octane table after some time without a fuse pull? I believe this was done back in October/November 2012.

there's been controversy back and forth on weather it needs to be done or not.

I make my stand on the fact it doesn't hurt anything....pull them and maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but your no worse off than you were before and might even be better, and it doesn't cost anything to do, so why not?

Just pull them when you park for the night, then pop them back in in the morning before you leave..... doesn't take but about 5 minutes.

thahemp 04-30-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown13 (Post 6484048)
Good info Chase. If one has a 93 octane aftermarket tune on his motor does that negate the need to do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11TexaSS (Post 6485277)
Sure it's been asked before but here it goes. Does this apply to a car that has been dyno tuned or would the tune already take care of it??

Thanks!

If you're already tuned don't worry about it. This only applies to the factory calibration.

11TexaSS 04-30-2013 06:43 AM

Thanks!

Iam Broke 04-30-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11TexaSS (Post 6485277)

Thanks!

If your tuner made the lo & hi octane tables the same then it does not matter. Do not put lower octane fuel in it though.

white20112ss 04-30-2013 02:39 PM

How much hp gain?

theblueSS 05-01-2013 10:27 PM

just pulled them even though the car has never run on anything but 93 octane under my care but cant hurt to make sure.

Muddflap 05-02-2013 12:10 AM

:popcorn:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sapper12b 05-02-2013 01:22 AM

Going to do this tomorrow ...

theblueSS 05-02-2013 10:43 AM

i [put them back in this morning and i feel like i had unleashed more potential from the car. its a bit more responsive and pulls harder. i am happy.

iron_man_status 05-02-2013 08:56 PM

Thanks!! I'm excited my car been feeling sluggish lately