Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Got my springs and sways........installed.......with VIDEO (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63322)

PQ 01-31-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 1435469)
is your car still on stands?

Yes.

SSOOCH 01-31-2010 06:32 PM

Dude you broke it!!

j/k PQ, good luck, you have way bigger huevos (that's mexican for balls) than me. I'd never attempt this myself. I got mad props for you Sir!!

PQ 01-31-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 1435505)
Dude you broke it!!

j/k PQ, good luck, you have way bigger huevos (that's mexican for balls) than me. I'd never attempt this myself. I got mad props for you Sir!!

It's really very easy once you get into it.

Well............... until now. I'm kinda lost. I got a feeling it's normal. It's gotta be. :iono:

PQ 01-31-2010 06:42 PM

Talked to Junkie. Got it straight. :thumbsup:

Ject 01-31-2010 06:43 PM

What was it ?

Blade 01-31-2010 06:48 PM

No way in hell I will do this on my own. I am good with exhaust and intake add ons but suspensions gonna have to be done by the dealer.

Good Luck PQ! Make sure to post some new picks of the ride.

BackinBlackSS/RS 01-31-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1435534)
Talked to Junkie. Got it straight. :thumbsup:

Very nice. Junkie is the man!!! Yeah, you could have taken it to a shop and had it done, but the reward you are gonna get for doing it yourself will last a lifetime. :)

PQ 01-31-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ject (Post 1435544)
What was it ?

Needed to be drawn back together with the weight of the car and compressed. I was basically just tightening the bracing. Strut it's self has to be set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 1435552)
No way in hell I will do this on my own. I am good with exhaust and intake add ons but suspensions gonna have to be done by the dealer.

Good Luck PQ! Make sure to post some new picks of the ride.

:thumbsup:

Took some video as well. Just for the heck of it.

PQ 01-31-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS (Post 1435566)
Very nice. Junkie is the man!!! Yeah, you could have taken it to a shop and had it done, but the reward you are gonna get for doing it yourself will last a lifetime. :)

:word:

mlee 01-31-2010 07:03 PM

Very cool... that son of yours is learning too...

most kids these days don't have a clue what a tool is unless a joystick is attached.

PQ 01-31-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 1435605)
Very cool... that son of yours is learning too...

most kids these days don't have a clue what a tool is unless a joystick is attached.

He stepped off with a buddy. :facepalm:

But he was with me for the first one.

Jeanius 01-31-2010 09:56 PM

Well....

Pics??
Feedback??

Your holdin out on us!

Ject 01-31-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanius (Post 1436107)
Well....

Pics??
Feedback??

Your holdin out on us!

:word::word:

PQ 01-31-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanius (Post 1436107)
Well....

Pics??
Feedback??

Your holdin out on us!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ject (Post 1436117)
:word::word:

:laugh:

Sorry. Had to go to a buddies house for a few hours. Just got back. Going out to the garage right now to finish. I'll update in a bit. :thumbsup:

Front is finished, rear looks much easier. Had to do a few things also. Couldn't stay on the car.

PQ 02-01-2010 12:59 AM

O....M....G....!!!!!!!!!

Front sway bar was a PITA!!!!!!!!

Got it out but had to take a few hoses loose. Luckily not a brake line.

IT'S TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PQ 02-01-2010 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. I gotta go to bed. If anyone who knows about this stuff could give me some help................

I have a quarter inch gap between the top retaining plate and the top of the strut housing in the engine compartment on both sides still. I followed the instructions to a tee. I never turned either shaft on the struts. I was very careful. I can't drive it like this so I need to figure it out. What could I have possibly done on both sides? I gotta be missing something here.

:help:

Attachment 90393

Everything else is done and looks great.

BMR guy 02-01-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1436534)
Ok. I gotta go to bed. If anyone who knows about this stuff could give me some help................

I have a quarter inch gap between the top retaining plate and the top of the strut housing in the engine compartment on both sides still. I followed the instructions to a tee. I never turned either shaft on the struts. I was very careful. I can't drive it like this so I need to figure it out. What could I have possibly done on both sides? I gotta be missing something here. The washer is there for strut retention but the gap is necessary for turning clearance due to the suspension design.

:help:

Attachment 90393

Everything else is done and looks great.

It doesn't seem right but the gap is normal. You should have about 1/4" on both sides. If the other side is flush it's just because the strut mount hasn't seated in the strut tower yet. Putting the weight back on the suspension and turning the wheels or bouncing the car will seat it. The gap is designed into it for turning. To see what I mean try this. Once you put the car back on the ground, start it and turn the wheels lock-to-lock. You will notice that the upper strut washers "rock" side-to-side and the gap closes on one side. When the wheels are straight the gap goes back to normal. The washers are designed for strut retention but require this gap due to the suspension design.

PQ 02-01-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR guy (Post 1436828)
It doesn't seem right but the gap is normal. You should have about 1/4" on both sides. If the other side is flush it's just because the strut mount hasn't seated in the strut tower yet. Putting the weight back on the suspension and turning the wheels or bouncing the car will seat it. The gap is designed into it for turning. To see what I mean try this. Once you put the car back on the ground, start it and turn the wheels lock-to-lock. You will notice that the upper strut washers "rock" side-to-side and the gap closes on one side. When the wheels are straight the gap goes back to normal. The washers are designed for strut retention but require this gap due to the suspension design.

Thee was no gap when I took them off.

PQ 02-01-2010 12:09 PM

Ok. Just called Pfadt and was told that this gap is mormal. I've been freaking out. I guess I just don't understand why the gap changed from none, to what I have now.

jeffny09 02-01-2010 12:15 PM

so why has it changed to what u have now?

BMR guy 02-01-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1437179)
Ok. Just called Pfadt and was told that this gap is mormal. I've been freaking out. I guess I just don't understand why the gap changed from none, to what I have now.

You may have remembered it when the suspension was hanging. With the suspension unloaded, there is no gap. Loaded, the strut is fully seated and the washers will have the gap.

PQ 02-01-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffny09 (Post 1437195)
so why has it changed to what u have now?

I had allready lifted it. :facepalm:

The guys at Pfadt said that the retainer washer is only there to keep the strut from falling out when the car is lifted and the suspension drop.
I do feel kinda like an idiot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR guy (Post 1437208)
You may have remembered it when the suspension was hanging. With the suspension unloaded, there is no gap. Loaded, the strut is fully seated and the washers will have the gap.

Exactly correct.

I talked to Scott and he went out to his to look and there was the same gap.

BMR guy 02-01-2010 02:54 PM

No biggie, the first time I saw it I thought something was screwed up too!

Jeanius 02-01-2010 03:16 PM

Take it for a spin yet???

g-townmach 02-01-2010 04:13 PM

Post some pics when you get done too!