Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Got my springs and sways........installed.......with VIDEO (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63322)

robertway 02-04-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dms (Post 1449706)
Can you do me a favor and measure the wall thickness of the bar you cut in half.

Thanks
mike
dms

Mike, the total bar thickness is 23mm, the wall thickness is just a bit under 5mm, 4.8mm to be exact, give or take .1mm

Jay_LHD3 02-04-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1449804)
I bought all Craftsman tools. But I I'm guessing I would have spent a couple of hundred less had I had someone do it. But I will use the tools. Especially now. :D

That is what I was thinking. :(

We have a Corvette performance shop down the road from me that does not even advertise their business with a sign and I have seen some of the nicest classic Corvettes and hot rods rolling in there. I think I will give them a shot at my business if I feel comfortable after talking to them and if I can afford their service.

Otherwise I will head up to MTI and get them to set me up with their Big Red sways and drop springs. Maybe a 6 shooter if I have any money left over.

Thanks again for sharing your install experience with us. Post some pics once you get it out in the sun light! :thumbsup:

amanc96 02-05-2010 06:37 AM

Shhhhh' the vids on the first page! :facepalm: I spent for ever looking for the vid last night. Now I find it and I'm now on my phone. I guess it can wait til tonight...

PQ 02-05-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ject (Post 1449840)
Or so you hope.... lol

:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertway (Post 1449896)
(there's a visual for all you sick freaks to go to sleep with tonight :D)

:barf: lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 1449936)
Took me about 4 mins to download the vid. Pretty decent vid man, good descriptions of all the parts, appreciate that.

Favorite parts of the video:
1) 12:41, "I would do it all over again, save me $300 dollars" Caption: Face Palm.......LMFAO
2) The end when PQ turns the camera around and has that dinky light on his head "Piece of cake" LOL

I lied. It was a peice of cake all but the front sway bar. Wish I had just disconected the tie rod arm and the other stuff that the earlier poster said. Other than that it WAS a piece of cake. :thumbsup:

Oh, and the big fat pacepalm was for the Bills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfaber99 (Post 1450494)
That is what I was thinking. :(

We have a Corvette performance shop down the road from me that does not even advertise their business with a sign and I have seen some of the nicest classic Corvettes and hot rods rolling in there. I think I will give them a shot at my business if I feel comfortable after talking to them and if I can afford their service.

Otherwise I will head up to MTI and get them to set me up with their Big Red sways and drop springs. Maybe a 6 shooter if I have any money left over.

Thanks again for sharing your install experience with us. Post some pics once you get it out in the sun light! :thumbsup:

Pics coming once I get it back from the paint shop. It should be done today. Then I gotta find someone to align it since Bay Chevrolet want 370.00 :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanc96 (Post 1451010)
Shhhhh' the vids on the first page! :facepalm: I spent for ever looking for the vid last night. Now I find it and I'm now on my phone. I guess it can wait til tonight...

I tried to update the Thread title but I couldn't. lol

CamaroSpike23 02-05-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1451370)
I tried to update the Thread title but I couldn't. lol

what do you want it to say?

Mr Twisty 02-05-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 1452505)

"So easy, even a caveman can do it"

d69chris 02-05-2010 03:33 PM

Hey, I looked under my L99 and could not find any roofing paper nails with green hats.

Was wanting to remove them for weight savings! Help

amanc96 02-06-2010 06:44 AM

Video reviews....
:thumbdown: Looking for 1080p format
:barf: At the 13 min video from all the movement.

Just kidding!

:thumbup: Overall, great vid! This will help out a lot of people when they do it and hopefully encourages them to do this themselves! Also, even for a 14min vid, it was actually fun to watch. I've tried watching 2min vids that I couldn't finish because they were boring to watch. Great job and the car looks great too! :w00t:

robertway 02-06-2010 07:27 AM

PQ, great video and a great example of what you can do if you just take your time and work through it and reach out to the community when you run into any issues. By the way, I laughed out loud when you showed us the shoes you were wearing during the install...

Tools for the job that you now have forever... $500+
Pfadt Suspension parts.... $600-$700ish
Telling your dealer to go screw on the $370 alignment... -$370
Wearing fancy work shoes, a coal miners lights, and then showing you wearing both to the entire C5 community while lowering your ride.... priceless.....

PQ 02-06-2010 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 1452505)

I was gonna say updated with vid....... but I guess it's fine......

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 1452610)
"So easy, even a caveman can do it"

:laugh:.................Attachment 91653uh, wait...............:paddle:

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by d69chris (Post 1452617)
Hey, I looked under my L99 and could not find any roofing paper nails with green hats.

Was wanting to remove them for weight savings! Help

lmao,,,,,,, I figured there would be a bunch who caught that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanc96 (Post 1454564)
Video reviews....
:thumbdown: Looking for 1080p format
:barf: At the 13 min video from all the movement.

Just kidding!

:thumbup: Overall, great vid! This will help out a lot of people when they do it and hopefully encourages them to do this themselves! Also, even for a 14min vid, it was actually fun to watch. I've tried watching 2min vids that I couldn't finish because they were boring to watch. Great job and the car looks great too! :w00t:

:rolleyes: Thank you. I wanted it to get more of the install but I kept forgetting to grab the camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertway (Post 1454602)
PQ, great video and a great example of what you can do if you just take your time and work through it and reach out to the community when you run into any issues. By the way, I laughed out loud when you showed us the shoes you were wearing during the install...

Tools for the job that you now have forever... $500+
Pfadt Suspension parts.... $600-$700ish
Telling your dealer to go screw on the $370 alignment... -$370
Wearing fancy work shoes, a coal miners lights, and then showing you wearing both to the entire C5 community while lowering your ride.... priceless.....

:sm0::sm0::sm0: Bonnie said I was an idiot. lol

amanc96 02-06-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1454855)

:rolleyes: Thank you. I wanted it to get more of the install but I kept forgetting to grab the camera.

next time you can either ground the kid and make him hold the camera for punishment, or you can pay him!

TommyTSquared 02-06-2010 11:33 AM

garcia-reunion.com needs some better server hosting! Taking forever to download! I'll be doing the swaybar soon enough, so I'm interested in seeing how easy/hard it is :thumbsup:

PQ 02-06-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanc96 (Post 1455015)
next time you can either ground the kid and make him hold the camera for punishment, or you can pay him!

I can do that. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTSquared (Post 1455114)
garcia-reunion.com needs some better server hosting! Taking forever to download! I'll be doing the swaybar soon enough, so I'm interested in seeing how easy/hard it is :thumbsup:

Sorry but the sway bar install is not really on there. Mainly just the springs. The sway bars, especially the rear, are as simple 'bolt on' as you can get. It was getting the front one out that was a bitch.

Jeanius 02-06-2010 12:15 PM

Hey PQ what are your impressions about ride quality/stiffness with Stock/Pfadt

PQ 02-06-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanius (Post 1455238)
Hey PQ what are your impressions about ride quality/stiffness with Stock/Pfadt

Oh, ya. I forgot. My impression is :confused0068:.

I realisticly thought it would make an almost unnoticeable difference. No way. It makes a huge difference. The ride is noticeably stiffer/bumpier but not too bad. The cornering is amazing. I can't believe what a difference it made. When I was installing them I was thinking "How can this possibly make that much difference?"

Well it does. No body roll hardly at all.

d69chris 02-06-2010 12:40 PM

Great job, I thought the sways would present more of a problem with limited clearance on stands.:bow:

It's like she now glides through the corners on rails. One of the best performance mods I have done yet?:clap:

Just don't try anything with a full cup of coffee in the car!:confused0068:

What setting did you install the sways at, middle?

PQ 02-06-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d69chris (Post 1455290)
Great job, I thought the sways would present more of a problem with limited clearance on stands.:bow:

It's like she now glides through the corners on rails. One of the best performance mods I have done yet?:clap:

Just don't try anything with a full cup of coffee in the car!:confused0068:

What setting did you install the sways at, middle?

Yup. Middle. I didn't know where to put it so I went middle.

What's stiffer outside, middle or inside?

d69chris 02-06-2010 02:00 PM

I think inside is stiffest position. I am running Frt/middle, rear/inside. They say stiffer rear helps with understeer. I think a stiffer rear on my girls is always welcome!

Hey, I really like the Teddy Bear wheels you are thinking about in the USW post!:yikes:

I had a bad experience with those guys & would never recommend them.:paddle:

Sawyer 02-06-2010 02:09 PM

nice vid. also enjoyed "some jackass in a charger came by reving his engine" LOL

PQ 02-06-2010 07:43 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Ok. Can't really see the difference. I guess because the befores were taken on a sunny day and the black makes it hard to see the gap but here you go for now. It's true, pics don't do this drop justice at all. Perfect drop in my opinion.

Before pics.....................................After pics
Attachment 91864Attachment 94619

Attachment 91866Attachment 94620

Attachment 91868Attachment 94621

Attachment 91870Attachment 94622

And one with a clients car in the lot. :evil:

Attachment 91872Attachment 91873

GTAHVIT 02-06-2010 08:04 PM

Nicely done my man!

Looks great!

g-townmach 02-07-2010 02:27 PM

Looks great. Makes me kinda wish I'd bought black instead of silver!

Jay_LHD3 02-08-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1456440)
Ok. Can't really see the difference. I guess because the befores were taken on a sunny day and the black makes it hard to see the gap but here you go for now. It's true, pics don't do this drop justice at all. Perfect drop in my opinion.

:coolpics:

I can tell the difference in the pics; especially in the rear. Looks good and in my opinion better!

:thumbsup:

Partick 02-08-2010 10:35 PM

It does look better...nice job PQ video and all!

IPS Brandon 02-09-2010 08:52 AM

Nice *entertaining* thread PQ! :)

Glad the package was as I described, and to see the results!

-Regards