Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Recaros seats (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295616)

Kevlar382 05-15-2013 07:18 AM

Recaros seats

Wondering what the big deal is with the Recaros. Are they that much lighter? In the March Motor Trend they compared the 1LE to the new Mustang. They said " The Camaro's seats are shockingly more supportive than the Mustang's optional Recaros ". So many people where asking if the optional 2014 Recaros would fit in there 2010 - 2013 Camaro's, I'm thinking it must be the weight. Does any body know how much lighter they really are?

G-Oil Guy 05-15-2013 07:53 AM

It's important to note that not all recaros are the same. I've sat in both the GT500 Recaros and the CTS-V recaros and the mustangs were more comfortable. However compared to my stock Z seats they weren't.

Yes weight is one thing and no we have no specs on the seats weight yet. The other main attraction to recaros is that (depending on the design) you can quickly add a 5 point harness if you plan to do some serious tracking of the car.

I would revisit your question when the 14s actually hit showrooms. I know for me I'm not ordering them until I sit in either a SS/ZL1/Z28 that is equipped with them.

Hope that helps.

SRT8Tech 05-15-2013 08:25 AM

The Recaro seats in the GT500 are the same weight as the stock seats. Maybe a couple pounds lighter but that's it. Somebody on the svt forums weighed both of them and not any difference worth talking about. Might be different on the Camaro though. I can say the Recaros blow away the stock seats in comfort though. One of the best ive ever been in.

SlingShot 05-15-2013 09:01 AM

For every day driving, I think the OEM seats in the ZL1 are much better.

DangerZL1 05-15-2013 09:46 AM

I've sat in the CTSV and the GT500 with the Recaro option, and it appears that at least Ford is still using the same seat base as the regular Mustang. The seats have larger side bolsters, but to me aren't much better than the regular Mustang seat. This may be due to safety testing and certification.

Looking at the pics of the 2014 Recaros in the Camaro, the seat base seems different especially with the manual seat adjuster at the front of the seat, and may be a complete Recaro and not just a recovered stock seat. I'm going to wait until I can sit in the car to reserve judgement. I'm hoping they are firmer and don't have the cheap low density foam used in the stock seat and the seat contour is made into the foam instead of angling the metal base to clear the electrical adjustors to get the contour. Without the power adjustments this may be possible.

hognutz 05-15-2013 11:16 AM

I don't find the recaro's more comfortable for driving but they do grip you better. they fit me tighter. so under load you stay in the seat a bit better. They look cool. when I ride in my friend 5.0 with recaros I don't find them any more comfortale tha my ZL1 though. with a set of 5 points added though it would hold you in place way better than my stock seats due at high G levels so you can relax more.

I will say though I am not picky about seats like some people are.

the main principle is a seat like that is they are supposed to hold you in the driving position better. They usually fit you tighter though some people like it some people don't.

they are not really desinged for weight savings in the mustang or CTSV. I am not sure if the Z28's are designed for weight savings at all.

you really need to just drive the car with them and see if you think they are good.

to me they are never worth the money to some people they won't own a car without them.

DangerZL1 05-15-2013 12:35 PM

You bring out a good point on the seats. They really aren't worth it if you don't track the car and find the base seats comfortable. In my case with sciatica down the back of my right leg and other back problems, if the Recaros alleviate the discomfort I had with the base seats it would be worth the $$. The only pony/muscle car I find comfortable it the Challenger and I really don't like them enough to buy one. IMO...the Mustang seats are the worst ones of the 3.

lbls1 05-15-2013 03:10 PM

The recaros in the CTS V were comfortable and firm. I was really impressed with them. I am weighing whether I should order them once I pull the trigger. It will depend on the option price (and my deal).

cvp33 05-15-2013 08:09 PM

My CTS-V had the recaro sets. I hated them. I never found a comfortable seating position. My SRT8 seats were my favorites until my Z's. The Z's are by far more comfortable and supportive. The suede holds you, plenty of side bolstering without being constrictive like the CTS-V's.

ZL1-V 05-15-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvp33 (Post 6548976)
My CTS-V had the recaro sets. I hated them. I never found a comfortable seating position. My SRT8 seats were my favorites until my Z's. The Z's are by far more comfortable and supportive. The suede holds you, plenty of side bolstering without being constrictive like the CTS-V's.

I have to highly disagree with the side bolstering statement! I don't know how many seats you have sat in or driven a car with them at high speeds around a turn. In MY ZL1 it requires you to use your legs to support against the G forces present in a turn due to the fact there is no side bolstering! If you don't believe me ride as a passenger or ask your passenger after you have executed a high G corner. Please correct if I am assuming it wrong but it appears that YOU personally don't like "restrictive seats"? The microfiber (suede) helps center you but is not the same as side bolstering. I think it has to do with body sizes. Slim guys don't usually complain as they have no body size to contend with and sit "in the seat rather than "on" the seat as larger framed guys often do. I am not referring to fat and skinny I am speaking strictly thin drivers versus thick drivers.

Kevlar382 05-17-2013 09:53 AM

Thank you to all for your input. I really like the seats in my Z and was just wondering why so many said they wanted to switch.

cvp33 05-17-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 6549681)
I have to highly disagree with the side bolstering statement! I don't know how many seats you have sat in or driven a car with them at high speeds around a turn. In MY ZL1 it requires you to use your legs to support against the G forces present in a turn due to the fact there is no side bolstering! If you don't believe me ride as a passenger or ask your passenger after you have executed a high G corner. Please correct if I am assuming it wrong but it appears that YOU personally don't like "restrictive seats"? The microfiber (suede) helps center you but is not the same as side bolstering. I think it has to do with body sizes. Slim guys don't usually complain as they have no body size to contend with and sit "in the seat rather than "on" the seat as larger framed guys often do. I am not referring to fat and skinny I am speaking strictly thin drivers versus thick drivers.

Srt8 with 643rwhp running at VIR hitting 150+ mph, 6'....215lbs... Could never get my lats back into the narrow recaros. Sadly can't take the Z to VIR without a roll cage so that ain't gonna happen. Looking to dump the convertible at the end of the summer and switch to a coupe.

Seatbelt locks help too.

ZL1-V 05-18-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvp33 (Post 6556644)
Srt8 with 643rwhp running at VIR hitting 150+ mph, 6'....215lbs... Could never get my lats back into the narrow recaros. Sadly can't take the Z to VIR without a roll cage so that ain't gonna happen. Looking to dump the convertible at the end of the summer and switch to a coupe.

Seatbelt locks help too.

I can understand your displeasure as I have the same problem with most seats! We are the same height but with more lbs than you. I used Cobra Daytona's in my Mustang to alleviate my back not being positioned properly in the seat. I'm looking into Status Spa seats for my ZL1. The Recaro's will be option #2 for me.

Matt.Kim 08-31-2013 10:37 PM

So can you buy these seats and put them in the 2010-2013 camaros?