Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Progressive Insurance - Save you money tip! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180561)

UT-Engineer 11-04-2011 04:15 PM

Progressive Insurance - Save you money tip!

I was speaking to my insurance agent and he said we could try the "snap shot" discount that progressive offers. I’m sure most are familiar if you've seen the commercial but for those too busy driving your Camaro, it's a device mounted under the steering wheel plugged into the computers somehow that monitors miles driven, time of day driving, acceleration, etc. You can get up to 30% knocked off your premium after 60 days of using it if the device monitors safe driving habits. Because I drive the camaro like i stole it, i figured it would be best to get this for my fiancé’s Honda Accord (were on the same policy).

The main reason im posting this is he stated, even if the car is not used for those 60 days you technically should receive the full 30% off your bill since you were practicing safe driving habits (i.e. not driving). For those parking their car in storage for the winter months this should be a great way for you to lower your insurance premium w/o even doing a thing. Assuming you have Progressive that is. I thought I'd share the info not to help out progressive but rather help ppl save some money for mods :) You can get the device for as many vehicles on your policy and get up to 30% off for each vehicle on that policy. Here’s to lower insurance rates :drinking:

Texas2SS 11-04-2011 04:19 PM

I keep debating on doing this, I wonder if I can hurt my policy by my driving habits......

vroomapunk 11-04-2011 04:21 PM

Thats an idea, might get it on my wifes car and not mine(when I get a 2ss), maybe itll help lower both somehow

UT-Engineer 11-04-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas2SS (Post 3970745)
I keep debating on doing this, I wonder if I can hurt my policy by my driving habits......

No you cant. Even if you get tickets, accidents, or just plain are a horrible driver it can only help your rates, not punish you. the worst that can happen is you get 0% of the discount.

chazysoccer11 11-04-2011 04:21 PM

just behave yourself for 60 days, that can be hard, I know. Sounds like a good deal though!

UT-Engineer 11-04-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 3970755)
Thats an idea, might get it on my wifes car and not mine(when I get a 2ss), maybe itll help lower both somehow

It will only lower the rate of the car that you plug it into. So to lower the rate of your Camaro, you will have to eventually plug it in to the Camaro. Im waiting to do this on mine personally b/c i drive too many miles per day. The idea is, from Progressive's prespective, the less you drive the less chance of an accident, and therefore fewer claims.

kcobean 11-04-2011 04:24 PM

Not a snowballs chance in hell I let someone monitor my driving habits. I know what they SAY it's for, but I value my privacy and that tool WILL be abused at some point in the future.

UT-Engineer 11-04-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcobean (Post 3970772)
Not a snowballs chance in hell I let someone monitor my driving habits. I know what they SAY it's for, but I value my privacy and that tool WILL be abused at some point in the future.

Understandable. Some may not choose this "discount" option for this very reason alone. I just thought I'd shed some light to those who really dont care about the "Big Brother" idea.

FYI: My agent personally uses Progressive and has done this on his own veheicle. He got 28% out of the 30% possible taken off.

Texas2SS 11-04-2011 04:34 PM

I drive too many miles (70 a day). No way I'd get a very big discount.

UT-Engineer 11-04-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas2SS (Post 3970816)
I drive too many miles (70 a day). No way I'd get a very big discount.

Yea i avg 180 a day :(. But if i get this job offer im waiting on, it will turn into 20 a day :).

Texas2SS 11-04-2011 04:47 PM

20 a day would be HEAVEN

kobSS 11-04-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas2SS (Post 3970852)
20 a day would be HEAVEN

What would you consider 2 miles per day? I have 12 MPG average on my SS, but thats because i drive 1 mile to work, 1 home.

While I really would LOVE to lower my insurance rate, i dont think that someone monitoring my driving is something for me. I feel like there is too much "Big Brother" going on now-a-days as it is, I just dont think a lot of people realize it. But, having it attached while storing your car for the winter is a great idea.

kylenewman 11-04-2011 04:58 PM

I have it on my Camaro and Denali. I got an initial discount of 30% on the camaro and 28% on the Denali. The Denali discount I have lost for renewal because of my excessive driving. Also the huge snow storm this weekend when i got stuck in my driveway caused 30 hard braking situations which killed the discount also.:iono:

They problem i have with the entire thing is they make it seem like you have the thing plugged in for 30-60 days. Mines been plugged it for 70+ days and they said they'll tell me when i can unplug it and send it back.

It saved me 450$ a year. My insurance went from 1500$ a year to 1050$ a year. I'll be 25 for the next policy renewal some im sure ill save even alittle more

Nemo13 11-04-2011 05:01 PM

Is this Progressive item not just like Onstar? Before being inticed by possible lower rates, consider what info you are giving up, and that it never goes away. It also can be used or sold in some future time. Rules and guidelines always come with a clause to where it can be changed at any time, and your accessable data will always be retro-active. This could be good or bad. The only person you can really trust is yourself. If the cost to keep yourself to yourself is a few xtra bucks, that is the best way in all cases. If you don't care, what the hell, jump first look second. ;-)