Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY Install LED SWITCHBACK TURN SIGNALS White DRL and Amber Blinker in one! For RS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270160)

Infern0 09-08-2013 08:01 PM

Would a subset of these instructions be useful for the DIY of simply having the signals light up with Halos?

vroomapunk 09-09-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infern0 (Post 6986200)
Would a subset of these instructions be useful for the DIY of simply having the signals light up with Halos?

I would think so, you can run the "jumper wire" to the same middle post of the socket/harness that I did, but use the stock bulbs and see, you still might need a different bulb.

What I did accomplishes a few things:

1. Allows one element or set of leds on the turn signal bulb to come on with the halos

2. Changes the stock bulb to a dual color, one set/element amber, and the other white

3. Adds resistors (only needed for LEDs) because leds do not cause any resistance, and this causes the bcm to think the bulb is out and blink faster.

If you dont use LEDS and dont want to change the color, then only step one of this post is needed. If you want to change to LEDS or change the color, you have to follow the rest.

neetan 06-12-2014 01:08 AM

hey vroom if i was to install these and wire them up; how would they work with the jdp halo kit? that is a seperate wiring harness it self. or am i still able to connect to the wiring harness on the stock halos

vroomapunk 06-20-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neetan (Post 7737964)
hey vroom if i was to install these and wire them up; how would they work with the jdp halo kit? that is a seperate wiring harness it self. or am i still able to connect to the wiring harness on the stock halos

This shouldnt interfere, Im not all that familiar with the JDP halo kit.

But all you are doing is tapping into the power that eventually gets to the halos, you arent changing the halo connector/harness/bulb or anything like that.

neetan 06-20-2014 10:23 AM

Ok i will try it out and see how it goes!

vroomapunk 07-02-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neetan (Post 7759924)
Ok i will try it out and see how it goes!

Good luck, let us know, post some pics

neetan 08-12-2014 03:31 AM

can you send pictures of the harness drilled and how deep the wire goes. im having trouble making the white leds work. ive tried running a wire to the side markers but still get nothing. maybe i havent drilled enough?

vroomapunk 10-14-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neetan (Post 7884612)
can you send pictures of the harness drilled and how deep the wire goes. im having trouble making the white leds work. ive tried running a wire to the side markers but still get nothing. maybe i havent drilled enough?

There is a picture. The wiring harness is two pieces, take it apart, and drill ALL THE WAY THROUGH one piece, so that your wire can make it all the way thru to the contact. Its fairly common sense when you look at it, drilling halfway into the plastic will just leave a wire touching plastic.

Take the harness apart, you should have a bulb, a piece that the bumb mounts to that also plugs into another wiring harness, then you should have a wiring harness with the actual wires coming out.

You are trying to get a wire to come through, just like the stock wires

From an earlier post:

Actually I just matched the drill bit up a tad smaller to the wire I was using and shoved it in there, It was a really snug fit, I was planning on adding silicone but I couldnt even pull the wire back out when tugging on it. I taped everything back up with electrical tape. And I used a big enough wire, and left enough extra in the channel that it made a good connection.

I wiggled everything around and all of my connections were tight. On my old car I usually put a bit of solder when I spliced connections, or used real connectors, but I didnt have time last night.

One thing thats weird, is that if you look at the blinker light harness, its actually two pieces. ALmost a mounting piece for the bulb (which has three working poles/contacts) and then the wiring harness that plugs on to that.

So it isnt like I thought before, you arent just trying to get a piece of wire to touch the little lead on the bulb, it is in a female slot, and the bulb mounting piece has the male end, so when they get shoved and locked together theres nowhere for the wire to go.

Just use a decent sized wire.

jgray1978 10-14-2014 03:04 PM

Can the bulb monitoring be tuned out?

sjmautoprod 10-14-2014 03:10 PM

Maybe gtprix could do it.

vroomapunk 10-15-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgray1978 (Post 8008733)
Can the bulb monitoring be tuned out?

Why, what problem are you having?

Marcolow 04-01-2016 12:20 PM

Is the wiring the same in the 2014 RS? I cannot find any documentation for the wiring of my 2014 RS, but I suspect that the same wires/color of wires is used for the headlights/always on wire. I have purchased some diode dynamic LED turn signals for my 2014, which apparently comes with a 7440 socket, when it can technically fit a 7443, so I went to Diode again and grabbed the 7443 sockets and would like to swap sockets and get the switch back capability, however I am worried to T-Tap the wrong cord from my headlights.