Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Need your help to come up with a navigation solution for my new Camaro! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11135)

Attorneyguy 12-31-2008 02:05 PM

Need your help to come up with a navigation solution for my new Camaro!

I currently own a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, and I freakin' love it. I also plan on buying a new Camaro (can't wait to sit in one at the auto show in February!). But I am disappointed that the Camaro (like the G8) does not have a navigation option (and, no...OnStar nav does NOT count!). So I need a good solution for navigation in my Camaro. So let's start brainstorming!

Below is my Bluetooth/navigation solution for my 2008 G8 GT (believe it or not, the 2008 G8s don't have Bluetooth either). As you can see from the photos below, I went with the Garmin nuvi 265T and installed it in my cubby hole under the G8's main console unit.

My first step was to remove the side panel to access the G8’s main console area so I could install a second DC outlet by hard wiring it to the vehicle’s center outlet…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...8-G8radio2.jpg

The next challenge was to come up with a way to mount the nuvi in place so that it didn’t move around when I pressed the screen or drove around town aggressively. I started playing around with the mounting bracket that comes with the nuvi itself…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...-navstand3.jpg

To create the base, I improvised. In true hillbilly fashion, I used a simple post-it package and used electrical tape to attach it to the mounting bracket…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...viandstand.jpg

I then installed my half-assed mount in the cubby hole with Velcro. I also attached Velcro to the front of the mounting mechanism to attach the nuvi…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...-navsetup1.jpg

I then attached the nuvi to the mount. The hillbilly looking appearance of my half-assed (yet effective) mount is irrelevant since the mount will be hidden from view…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...-navsetup7.jpg

I then placed the nuvi and mount into the cubby hole. I also ran the wiring from the nuvi up through the underside of the main console (yes, there is a hole there so you can access it) and concealed the wiring inside the center unit. I then reattached the panel that I had removed to access the wiring…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...-navsetup8.jpg

This Bluetooth/nav solution works great. When I turn on my car, the nuvi turns on automatically. When I turn off my car, the nuvi turns off automatically (since the G8’s front DC outlet loses power when the car is turned off). It looks completely integrated, and the risk of theft is substantially reduced given the nav unit’s location and low profile…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...navsetup13.jpg

It just makes the G8 look that much better inside. And I have not had a concern with safety in looking down at the unit to view information. The nuvi 265T speaks street names, so I don’t even have to look at the unit at all times. I just listen to the voice prompts. Even when I need to take a look at the screen, a glance is all it takes…

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...navsetup14.jpg

Sure, I wish the G8 came with a nav unit that displayed information on the main screen, but this is the next best solution. I think it looks better than placing a nav unit on top of the dashboard (where the unit is visible to the entire world, including thieves). Plus I like that I don’t have to turn the unit on and off every time I get in the car (and there is no concern about ever losing power).

For $199, it’s a nice set up (and probably a better value than if the G8 did come with a navigation option!).

So what is my navigation solution for the Camaro??! I have been studying the interior photos, but I still don't know what to do. Thanks!

FenwickHockey65 12-31-2008 04:06 PM

Wow, for a "hillbilly solution" that actually looks really great!

Not sure how to do this for the Camaro though...main problem being that the center stack doesn't go all the way to the center console.

Xanthos 01-01-2009 04:35 PM

Here's how I'll be doing my nav system.

As far as yours goes, are you getting the four pack or not?
- Xanthos

zebra 01-01-2009 05:14 PM

^^ same here! :) especially since i'm installing the 4-pack in my 1SS

Rodrunner 01-01-2009 07:07 PM

Rand McNally....the man's serious here guys. I'd expect that of fuzzy buddy zebra(lower case z???), but I thought you, Xanthos, were more of a class act! :rolleyes:
Seriously though, there don't seem to be any useable openings in the Camaro console stack. Plus higher up the dash appears curved, and you need a flat surface for a flat screen. This is a tough one, but doing the same thing has crossed my mind, so I will keep thinking about it.

Attorneyguy 01-01-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 231301)
Here's how I'll be doing my nav system.

As far as yours goes, are you getting the four pack or not?
- Xanthos

I'm definitely getting the four pack. (You have no choice but to get it with the SS RS, correct?). That's why I have been struggling to come up with a good solution. No cubby hole in the Camaro! I would love to plug it into a DC outlet in the Camaro so that the nav unit turns on/off every time I turn my Camaro on/off. But I don't want the wires to be exposed.

How about this for an idea...
What about placing the nav unit right above the four pack and right under the climate control console? Is there enough room between the bottom of the main console and the top of the four pack? It looks like there is an opening there, but it is hard to tell from the photos I've seen. There also may be an opening right under the climate control console that you can run a wire through (and install a second DC outlet inside the center unit so that it is concealed).

I've looked at hundreds of photos on this board, but it is hard to tell how much room there is in this area. Does anyone know?

Inspector 17 01-01-2009 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hard to tell for sure from this picture, but what about mounting it on the dash to the left of the radio? It looks like there is some space on the dash and you might be able to run the wires back into the dash there. Certainly, where the 4-pack gauges go would be the obvious choice, but that doesn't work for those with the gauge package.
Attachment 12226

dieseldave24v 01-01-2009 08:07 PM

I will mount mine on the windshield just like I do in my truck. Most times it isnt even up there. Do you really need a GPS around your own town? You only use it on trips or unfamiliar areas anyways. Why cut a hole in the dash to mount it.

zebra 01-01-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attorneyguy (Post 231419)
I'm definitely getting the four pack. (You have no choice but to get it with the SS RS, correct?)...

no. the aux gauges only come with 2SS & 2LT. it don't matter whether or not you have the RS package (that's only an exterior appearance package)

as for Rodrunner
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrunner (Post 231414)
Rand McNally....the man's serious here guys. I'd expect that of fuzzy buddy zebra, but I thought you, Xanthos, were more of a class act! :rolleyes:

i'm just gonna assume you forgot the don't-take-me-seriously smiley. if not... what the heck!? :iono: there's absolutely nothing wrong with knowing how to read a map. it's something more people need to know how to do. yeah, GPS units are cool, but i've never had any need for one. maybe Xanthos is in the same boat with me and many others. being 'classy' has nothing to do with having all sorts of trinkets in your car to tell you what to do & how to drive. i ain't gonna ask why you would come up with such a ridiculous assumption, but you should think before doing so again.
end rant.

Rodrunner 01-01-2009 09:38 PM

zebra, my apologies!!! I was assuming you know me well enough from past posts to know I was just joking...I swear!!! But after rereading my post I can see why you took it seriously, and I shouldn't have used the rolling eyes smiley. Just remember in the future don't take Rodrunner too seriously. Again, I was not being serious, that's why my next sentence started "Seriously though". SORRY!!!

zebra 01-01-2009 10:02 PM

it's all good. :thumbsup: i didn't know exactly what you were goin for, so now that that's clear...

maybe someone could find a way to mount it on the A-pillar

Attorneyguy 01-02-2009 07:59 AM

IMHO, lack of a navigation option for a 2009-10 model year car that costs $30,000 plus is a major oversight. I mean, you can get factory nav in $17,000 Hondas and Fords. GM is behind the curve once again.

Trust me, when you see the Camaro in those new car buying guides where they list the pros and cons of each car, "lack of navigation" will be listed for the Camaro.

2010/SS/RS 01-02-2009 08:33 AM

Exactly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attorneyguy (Post 231776)
IMHO, lack of a navigation option for a 2009-10 model year car that costs $30,000 plus is a major oversight. I mean, you can get factory nav in $17,000 Hondas and Fords. GM is behind the curve once again.

Trust me, when you see the Camaro in those new car buying guides where they list the pros and cons of each car, "lack of navigation" will be listed for the Camaro.

WHAT HE SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

josh1147 01-02-2009 08:43 AM

Struggling with the same issue....even my wife's new Traverse doesn't have NAV....I've got an excellent A/V guy here in St. Louis....JML Audio.....he'll figure out a way for me to get it integrated, make it look factory, and still continue utilizing all of the factory capabilities.

When I sat in NUMBER3's 1LT a couple days ago, this was one of the things I was thinking about and GM did NOT make this dash aftermarket "friendly" as all of the controls and faceplate are one integrated unit.

Good luck! Suction cup on the dash is the best I can offer you right now...

weedwacker13 01-02-2009 10:28 AM

Slightly off topic, but how do you like the navi that you bought for the G8, Garmin nuvi 265T. I just bought the same one, though I got the wide screen. Still waiting for it to arrive, thanks to the wonderful post office. And if you could, tell me how the traffic situation works, it seems like a really great feature.

Rodrunner 01-02-2009 11:43 AM

zebra might be right, the A-pillar may be your best choice. I would prefer it mounted there over the dash, yet, I know, that's not "built in".

I don't understand the no nav option either. Otherwise, they went balls to the wall, like AFM, remote start, tapshift, launch control, not just HIDs but also halo rings, ambient lighting, C&C package, On-Star, XM....makes no sense. Did I mention short stripes? Sorry....kidding!

Attorneyguy 01-02-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedwacker13 (Post 231860)
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the navi that you bought for the G8, Garmin nuvi 265T. I just bought the same one, though I got the wide screen. Still waiting for it to arrive, thanks to the wonderful post office. And if you could, tell me how the traffic situation works, it seems like a really great feature.

The nuvi 265T is the first nav unit I've ever purchased, so it is my only reference point. However, I have been very pleased with the unit so far. It has a great display, and all the relevant information is easy to read. It has gotten me to my destinations without any problems.

The traffic alerts, however, have failed to impress. So far, I have had two traffic alerts on my unit. But each time, the information that was given was wrong. The first time I got an alert, the nuvi said there was a traffic jam on a particular exit when in fact the traffic jam was 3 miles up the road. The second time I got an alert, there was no traffic at all. In fact, it was Christmas day when the alert went off, so I was really surprised there would be a traffic jam on that day. And sure enough, NONE to be found. I expect up-to-date traffic information given that the nuvi's traffic alerts are supported by advertising that randomly appears on your screen (from places like BP, Walgreens, and Ramada)...

Overall, though, I give the nuvi a thumbs up. I think there is a reason why the nuvis are so insanely popular. Good product.

Attorneyguy 01-02-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh1147 (Post 231803)
Struggling with the same issue....even my wife's new Traverse doesn't have NAV....I've got an excellent A/V guy here in St. Louis....JML Audio.....he'll figure out a way for me to get it integrated, make it look factory, and still continue utilizing all of the factory capabilities.

When I sat in NUMBER3's 1LT a couple days ago, this was one of the things I was thinking about and GM did NOT make this dash aftermarket "friendly" as all of the controls and faceplate are one integrated unit.

Good luck! Suction cup on the dash is the best I can offer you right now...

The Traverse doesn't even have Nav? Does it at least have OnStar navigation?

GM put all its money into OnStar navigation (since it invested so heavily in it), but the fact is that OnStar is NOT the solution. People want a nav unit in their main console display (with nice colorful graphics...you know, like all the other car manufacturers). OnStar nav does not offer any real graphics, and I don't want to deal with a dang operator every time I want to go somewhere. Plus, it's none of GM's business where I go anyway! People also want to use their OWN cell phones, not a separate phone number provided by OnStar.

You gradually begin to realize that GM has been behind the times when it took the company until the 2009 model year to offer Bluetooth in all its cars. Even my 2008 G8 does not have Bluetooth (unlike every other car in its class). I mean, come on now!

zebra 01-02-2009 01:22 PM

come to think of it... OnStar is probably exactly why they don't have nav build in. it makes no sense for somebody to pay for that subscription if they have a navigation system right in front of them. GM & OnStar are both businesses, therefore they're goal is to stay well into the green. that's my guess

Attorneyguy 01-02-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 231983)
come to think of it... OnStar is probably exactly why they don't have nav build in. it makes no sense for somebody to pay for that subscription if they have a navigation system right in front of them. GM & OnStar are both businesses, therefore they're goal is to stay well into the green. that's my guess

That is EXACTLY why we don't get nav. GM put good money into its OnStar nav system. Putting a nav unit in the center console of your Camaro would undercut OnStar nav subscriptions.

Forget the fact that most GM customers would opt for a regular nav system as opposed to OnStar's nav system. Once again, poor choices and poor investment by GM. Hence their struggles...

(It doesn't help that GM didn't even make the Camaro friendly for aftermarket solutions).

Joe in T.O. 01-02-2009 04:49 PM

Attorneyguy, that install looks great on your G8. I am also spoiled with in-dash Nav on our 07 Tahoe and 07 Avalanche. I also wondered that when the unit is an option, do they need a different dashboard due to the Camaro design?

Rogue Leader 01-02-2009 06:16 PM

OnStar is NOT why Nav is not available...

NAV is an available option on Many (but not all) GM cars even with OnStar. That said, there is probably some other reason why there is no Nav option (They liked the dash design as is and didnt want to clutter it with a screen there? who knows....). I don't know what it is, but i probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

BryGo 01-02-2009 07:41 PM

C'mon guys!

The majority on this site are MEN. We don't need no stinkin' directions. We don't need no stinkin' NAV. All you need to know is which way your heading. Our servicemen, back in the day, had a map and a compass. All you need, is a compass, which the Camaro has.

Problem solved.

Man up!

:respekt:

zebra 01-02-2009 08:03 PM

^^ +1 :)

i'm still diggin the a-pillar idea. that's where they put the little screen in the cobalt ss, so why not? it won't screw up the dash & is still out of the way, yet easily seen!

Attorneyguy 01-02-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryGo (Post 232360)
C'mon guys!

The majority on this site are MEN. We don't need no stinkin' directions. We don't need no stinkin' NAV. All you need to know is which way your heading. Our servicemen, back in the day, had a map and a compass. All you need, is a compass, which the Camaro has.

Problem solved.

Man up!

:respekt:

By that logic, we also don't need a USB port to play our MP3s. Real men play their 8 tracks.

We also don't need active fuel management. Real men don't worry about fuel efficiency.

We also don't need airbags and other safety devices. Real men don't wear seat belts (they're not cool, man).

Look, a good number of consumers want their 2010 model vehicle to have certain features--features that the main competitors have. The Challenger has navigation. So does the Mustang. In fact, the Mustang's navigation unit is voice-activated. If you don't want navigation, then so be it. Don't order it. But GM should have offered the option.

We don't even know where to put our aftermarket nav units because of how the Camaro interior is designed!

FenwickHockey65 01-02-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attorneyguy (Post 231941)
The Traverse doesn't even have Nav? Does it at least have OnStar navigation?

GM put all its money into OnStar navigation (since it invested so heavily in it), but the fact is that OnStar is NOT the solution. People want a nav unit in their main console display (with nice colorful graphics...you know, like all the other car manufacturers). OnStar nav does not offer any real graphics, and I don't want to deal with a dang operator every time I want to go somewhere. Plus, it's none of GM's business where I go anyway! People also want to use their OWN cell phones, not a separate phone number provided by OnStar.

You gradually begin to realize that GM has been behind the times when it took the company until the 2009 model year to offer Bluetooth in all its cars. Even my 2008 G8 does not have Bluetooth (unlike every other car in its class). I mean, come on now!

Traverses have navigation. It just depends on which model you get. In fact, all four Lambdas have navigation.

By the way, it's actually kinda funny that everyone is mad because GM's new interiors are now integrated. A few years back, everyone was complaining about how outdated our interiors were because we still had "slide-in" switchgear.

There's just no way to satisfy people.

Eich 01-04-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 232515)
Traverses have navigation. It just depends on which model you get. In fact, all four Lambdas have navigation.

By the way, it's actually kinda funny that everyone is mad because GM's new interiors are now integrated. A few years back, everyone was complaining about how outdated our interiors were because we still had "slide-in" switchgear.

There's just no way to satisfy people.

No - people didn't like past GM interiors because they looked cheap, used cheap materials, were mono-chromatic and boring.

The problem with Camaro's interior is that GM spent too much time trying to make a center stack more unique than it is functional. They took feedback from a well-received concept car and it just didn't translate well into plastic.

The Camaro's center stack just looks odd and doesn't lend itself to adding modern conveniences like Navigation. Looking at it, it kind've reminds me of the robot from Lost in Space. It has a face (display), two arms (knobs) and two legs (playstation-like HVAC controls).

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/imag...interior02.jpg

NUCAR 01-27-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 232294)
OnStar is NOT why Nav is not available...

there is probably some other reason why there is no Nav option (They liked the dash design as is and didnt want to clutter it with a screen there? who knows....). I don't know what it is,

but i probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

This MIGHT be the reason....how many would pony up 2k for a screen?

CamaroSkooter 01-28-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 232383)
^^ +1 :)

i'm still diggin the a-pillar idea. that's where they put the little screen in the cobalt ss, so why not? it won't screw up the dash & is still out of the way, yet easily seen!

I'm liking the idea too. Maybe if I'm bored on a 3-day weekend, I'll go to the dealership and purchase an extra a-pillar and try my hand at some fiberglassing. I'd have to sit in the car, and get a good idea of where I want the screen, but that seems pretty ergonomical and out of the way.

OUTATIME 01-28-2009 10:55 AM

I'd sacrifice that center channel speaker for a pop up nav - it's do-able for GM or even aftermarket/custom if you get the right parts (granted there's like 6 - 8" of clearance under there. Perfect too, because a thief has less reason to break in when he sees nothing.

blackZbandit 01-28-2009 01:35 PM

I think in future updates the area where the radio display in will be where the Nav screen is placed. Th scrren wont be huge, but they've got enough room there if they expanded further into the blackened area around the current screen and it should'nt mess with the aesthetics of the current setup.

GM had alot of choices of things to leave out when developing this car as a means to shave costs. In my opinion I'd happily give up Nav and push-button start for all of the other uptions we got.

ZYAL8R 01-28-2009 04:16 PM

I don't know why so many are worried about a NAV system. I got one already. It's called MYWIFE! She always tells me where to go.;)

CamaroSkooter 01-28-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZYAL8R (Post 266450)
I don't know why so many are worried about a NAV system. I got one already. It's called MYWIFE! She always tells me where to go.;)

Some of us aren't as (un)fortunate :rolleyes:

LosXC451 03-20-2009 02:05 PM

if you don't get the four gauges in front of the shifter you could mount the nav where the gauges are supposed to be

Angrybird 12 03-20-2009 04:22 PM

I bough a 200 dollar Mio GPS about 3 years ago. I have used it in 4 different cars.. and I will probably use it in the Camaro... I program it, stick it on the windshield, plug in the power cord, and go where i need to go the pull it off the windshield throw it in the glovebox or center console and forget it until I need it again...
Cheap, effective and only need one for no matter how many cars you drive...

Camarino 03-20-2009 04:59 PM

GM- WHY CAMARO HAS NO NAVIGATION

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html

(SEE BELOW)

Quote:

You want a navigation system? Too bad -- the Holden development crew figured you'd rather they spend the money on things like surgically precise steering and bourbon-smooth six-speed transmissions (besides, all new Camaros will offer OnStar turn-by-turn route guidance).
-
By Arthur St. Antoine (MOTORTREND)

BTW IMHO TOMTOM is the most user friendly nav. on the market, personally i feel they all work teh same give or take a few features but IMO TOMTOM is really user friendly