Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Upgrades to make the car last long term? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305139)

BiG_TiMe 07-01-2013 03:04 PM

Upgrades to make the car last long term?

I plan on keeping my car for a very long time...basically I'm not getting rid of it. So my question is as for suspension, which products would you recommend me getting? This will be a daily driver only; very little to no racing. I'm looking into everything suspension wise so I'm assuming drop springs are out of the question if I want my car to last a long time without replacing the struts.

Oh and I have a V6

PfadtRacing 07-01-2013 05:27 PM

What do you want to accomplish?

BiG_TiMe 07-02-2013 12:44 AM

I basically want to get some upgrades that would keep the car in perfect working order say like 5-10 years down the road.

Apex Motorsports 07-02-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe (Post 6741245)
I basically want to get some upgrades that would keep the car in perfect working order say like 5-10 years down the road.

Suspension upgrade should not harm of your car, but certain components do have an expected service life. In 5-10 years you will have to replace your struts regardless of whether you add lowering springs or not. Sway bars and bushings make a world of difference and will not have and negative effects so long as you do it right.

CamaroTom 07-02-2013 05:56 AM

Catch can for starters...

BiG_TiMe 07-02-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 6741495)
Suspension upgrade should not harm of your car, but certain components do have an expected service life. In 5-10 years you will have to replace your struts regardless of whether you add lowering springs or not. Sway bars and bushings make a world of difference and will not have and negative effects so long as you do it right.

oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem (Post 6741513)
Catch can for starters...

got that already

lscamaro 07-02-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe (Post 6744167)
oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whether you keep the stock springs or do lowering springs, you'll have to replace struts at some point.

Personally, I don't think there's anything you can do that will be bulletproof forever. Most things at one point give out.

Apex Motorsports 07-02-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe (Post 6744167)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6744214)
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whether you keep the stock springs or do lowering springs, you'll have to replace struts at some point.

Personally, I don't think there's anything you can do that will be bulletproof forever. Most things at one point give out.

Exactly. Even coil overs do not last forever.

cmb74656 07-08-2013 07:39 PM

I'm always amused when customers come to my salvage yard to buy used struts. You wouldn't buy used shocks, why are you buying used struts?