Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Check Engine Light :( (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40675)

Abygale 09-03-2009 01:39 PM

Check Engine Light :(

Yesterday, out of the blue, my check engine light came on. I called Onstar and they said it had to do with the emissions detector or something. They told me to make sure the gas cap was on properly which it was.

The owner's manual says this light will go away after driving the car a few times. I've driven in at least 30 miles and 4 times since insuring it was on properly. Anyone else have this happen yet?

Next stop is the service department I guess :(

kjnylin 09-03-2009 01:44 PM

Under warrenty

It's under warrenty so fixing it shouldn't be a problem. It's just a hastle and waste of time. Some dealers offer free loaners. That may help.

If I have a check engine light on cars that are out of warrenty, I take them to Auto Zone where they will plug in the OBDII code reader and give you the trouble code along with the diagnosis for free. This has saved me hundreds of $$.

Good luck!

buddylok 09-03-2009 03:55 PM

try disconnect the battery, wait around 5-10 mins, connect the battery and start the car.

Michael_Js 09-03-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjnylin (Post 880548)
It's under warrenty so fixing it shouldn't be a problem. It's just a hastle and waste of time. Some dealers offer free loaners. That may help.

If I have a check engine light on cars that are out of warrenty, I take them to Auto Zone where they will plug in the OBDII code reader and give you the trouble code along with the diagnosis for free. This has saved me hundreds of $$.

Good luck!

Great idea! (for some future use) Never thought of that :)

Thanks!

Abygale 09-03-2009 07:45 PM

Well, it's fixed but I spent 2 hours at the dealership. Apparently there was a huge update to the computer system so it took the techs a long time to get the computers updated to talk to each other. It's reset, and while I was there since they were in they installed my splash guards. Overall not too much of a waste of time. No charge at all for the engine light fix :)

Oh the tech HAD TO drive my car around a bit to make sure everything was okay with the car! He loved it and wants to get one himself :)

CamaroSpike23 09-04-2009 09:19 AM

im sure he just "had to" drive it. lol.

glad you got your car back (and updated) :thumbsup:

baby02 09-04-2009 11:10 AM

yes, happened this morning, and i got the same answers as you. have an appointment for tuesday.

canadian ss 09-05-2009 04:41 PM

Pretty much EVERYTHING is covered under factory warranty. Why would you go elsewhere to get your car checked out? Do you think the autozone or wherever, can scan these cars? NO. They use a different system. Most dealers are updating to it as we speak. Our tech II scanner won't even read the codes. We have to use an interface due to the speed of the communication between modules.
The dealer is your friend. The price of the warranty is in the price of the car. Use it. Go there with every squeak, rattle, SES light, brake, etc. If there is a problem, it will be fixed. No charge to you.

Abygale 09-05-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadian ss (Post 888748)
Pretty much EVERYTHING is covered under factory warranty. Why would you go elsewhere to get your car checked out? Do you think the autozone or wherever, can scan these cars? NO. They use a different system. Most dealers are updating to it as we speak. Our tech II scanner won't even read the codes. We have to use an interface due to the speed of the communication between modules.
The dealer is your friend. The price of the warranty is in the price of the car. Use it. Go there with every squeak, rattle, SES light, brake, etc. If there is a problem, it will be fixed. No charge to you.

Yep, but just be prepared. If you are the first 2010 Camaro in there for service and it's your first time in there it will take a bit for them to update those computer diagnostic programs :)

Spike, I did notice that the other cars in there for service didn't seem to "require" a test drive to make sure the problems were fixed but mine sure did :)

acehole 09-05-2009 04:52 PM

Keep that car in good running order abygale you got to meet up with us in Oct...

canadian ss 09-05-2009 04:57 PM

You can also request a " No test drive". Check your odometer when it goes in and when you pick it up. Make sure your request is very visible so nobody can't say "I didn't know?"
Also, you can request only a certified tech to work on it as well. They won't generally abuse a customers car.

CamaroScotty 09-05-2009 05:18 PM

Always keep in mind, a STEADY check engine light isn't too serious.

But USE Caution, if you have a blinking check engine light - the car should be towed to the nearest dealership.

CamaroSpike23 09-05-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abygale (Post 888759)
Spike, I did notice that the other cars in there for service didn't seem to "require" a test drive to make sure the problems were fixed but mine sure did :)

its a hot car....

next time you should tell them that YOU will take them on a test drive if they need to see something. ;)

Abygale 09-06-2009 09:46 AM

Good advice guys thanks. The tech was actually pretty cool and I didn't mind him driving it. He was going pretty fast when he pulled back into the dealership though so I know he had some fun :)