Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Firearms Section (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88404)

DenverTaco07 02-15-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary24 (Post 8905007)
What do you all think about this?

don't know - it's cool, but they say the purpose is for Concealed Carry? I mean really??? Sure, if you are Sarah Connor it's pretty useful. Otherwise, a nice "cool" toy no doubt.

Sure does take the CCW 9mm vs. .45 debate to a whole new level.

FenwickHockey65 02-15-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarohead (Post 8903951)
Haven't posted in a while and really don't want to go back and search...but what compact pistol does everyone recommend for conceal carry?

Went to academy this weekend and looked around...they say the ruger lcp is their best seller...willing to spend up to $700 though..any recommendations?

I carry an S&W M&P Shield. It's small, slim, and easy/comfortable to conceal. Only an 8+1 round capacity though so have to make every round count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary24 (Post 8905007)
What do you all think about this?

I never understood the point of those things. I'd rather have a rifle.

camarohead 02-15-2016 07:44 PM

Shopped around today and considering the ruger lc9, beretta nano, smith and Wesson bodyguard, glock 26, sig p238 and the p958...out of those, which one does everyone recommend?

blake-b 02-15-2016 08:14 PM

Did you test drive your camaro before buying it? Same thing applies to guns - go to a range that rents guns and try several to see how you like them. Many ranges rent by the hour so you can swap out as many times as you want during that hour. They will likely also require you to buy the ammo from them. Buy a box of 9mm and use one or several guns for an hour. Buy a box of .380, then .40, then .45, then whatever and try several guns in different calibers. Also, you can get the "same" model in various calibers a lot of the time.
E.G:
Glock 26 is 9mm. Glock 27 is .40. Same frame.
Glock 19 is 9mm. Glock 23 is .40. Same frame.
Glock 17 is 9mm. Glock 22 is .40. Same frame.
All glock 9mms hold 1-2 more rounds than their .40 counterpart if using factory mags.

I like Glocks and carry one daily. I also know not everyone feels the same way I do. Try before you buy. If you end up buying a gun based on the recommendation of someone else, you might end up hating it. If you don't like it, you'll likely never practice with it and shooting skill is highly perishable.

Tenring 02-15-2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarohead (Post 8905875)
Shopped around today and considering the ruger lc9, beretta nano, smith and Wesson bodyguard, glock 26, sig p238 and the p958...out of those, which one does everyone recommend?

Sig

Keep in mind the smaller and lighter the firearm is, the more you will feel the impulse/recoil and muzzle flip. Typically a small carry gun do not make good/pleasure able to shoot range gun.

camarohead 02-15-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake-b (Post 8905957)
Did you test drive your camaro before buying it? Same thing applies to guns - go to a range that rents guns and try several to see how you like them. Many ranges rent by the hour so you can swap out as many times as you want during that hour. They will likely also require you to buy the ammo from them. Buy a box of 9mm and use one or several guns for an hour. Buy a box of .380, then .40, then .45, then whatever and try several guns in different calibers. Also, you can get the "same" model in various calibers a lot of the time.
E.G:
Glock 26 is 9mm. Glock 27 is .40. Same frame.
Glock 19 is 9mm. Glock 23 is .40. Same frame.
Glock 17 is 9mm. Glock 22 is .40. Same frame.
All glock 9mms hold 1-2 more rounds than their .40 counterpart if using factory mags.

I like Glocks and carry one daily. I also know not everyone feels the same way I do. Try before you buy. If you end up buying a gun based on the recommendation of someone else, you might end up hating it. If you don't like it, you'll likely never practice with it and shooting skill is highly perishable.

The ranges here in Jx ms are all bring your own...no gun rentals around here...I do have a glock 17 gen 4 9&19....love it...just feel it's to big for conceal carry...want something a lot smaller..

camarohead 02-15-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenring (Post 8906013)
Sig

For conceal carry....the p958 or the p238?

Tenring 02-15-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarohead (Post 8906044)

Depends on which one fits (your) hand better ........I carry a Sig 232 when I am not carrying a 1911.

Sigs have Glock like reliability and most models are superior in accuracy.

GTIanZ28 02-15-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake-b (Post 8905957)
shooting skill is highly perishable.

Not sure I agree with this.

The knowledge and muscle memory involved with shooting never fades. Of course one could be rusty and may not have excellent groupings after a long break.

I went 10+ years since shooting an ar-15 (army). I was skipping soda cans across the range at 50 yds with someone else's gun first day back. Not a huge feat but, it felt like being reunited with a long lost friend.

blake-b 02-16-2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 (Post 8906292)
Not sure I agree with this.

The knowledge and muscle memory involved with shooting never fades. Of course one could be rusty and may not have excellent groupings after a long break.

I went 10+ years since shooting an ar-15 (army). I was skipping soda cans across the range at 50 yds with someone else's gun first day back. Not a huge feat but, it felt like being reunited with a long lost friend.

Pistols and rifles are two different stories. I do agree shooting a rifle is far less perishable. As a generality, rifles are less dependent on the influence of trigger pull than a pistol. I believe this is because of the sight radius and how a rifle is supported at three points - shoulder, shooting hand and support hand, and often a sling. For a handgun at close ranges (this is dependent on the level of skill the shooter has) you focus on front sight and target (put the front sight inside the silhouette of the target and fire). At distance (let's call this precision shooting and again dependent on the shooter), sight alignment and trigger pull are what you focus on as a less than smooth trigger pull (or press if you want to envision it that way) can easily affect shot placement.

It does come back quickly if, at some point, you established a good base level of skill.

vegas girl 02-16-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarohead (Post 8906041)
The ranges here in Jx ms are all bring your own...no gun rentals around here...I do have a glock 17 gen 4 9&19....love it...just feel it's to big for conceal carry...want something a lot smaller..

I bought my Glock 23 (for home defense).....fell in LOVE with the Glock 43 when it first came out. Was hard(really hard) to find....but it has become my carry gun. I've had more than 1 guy come up to me at the range asking where I found it....it seems a lot of the gun shops here in Nevada have overinflated the price of the 43s seeing how many people want them.

DenverTaco07 02-16-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarohead (Post 8906044)

of the two sig's i'd go with the 9mm. Don't know how much experience you have shooting .380 ACP, but for me, I went from .380 to 9mm and it is a much easier pistol to fire. Now the sig, it may be ok in .380, but the round for self defense...

Go with a 9mm single stack for concealed. Springfield Armory XDS 9 or 45 you'll be happy.

Yes, .380 are "utlra" concealable, but IMO I'd rather have a 9mm or 45 with me and a single stack 9MM is nice and comfortable to carry.

but, as other state it is an individual choice - go to store and at least hold them. If it doesn't work out, i'm sure some dude that can't pass a background check will gladly buy it off you in a private sale.

xk49 02-16-2016 08:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm fairly new to gun ownership, but over the last two years I built up three nice pairings of guns. It's really just a hobby right now and I don't shoot them a lot, but my son and I are having fun prepping for the Zombie apocalypse. I like doing the research on the types of guns and purchasing and installing the "furniture" and internals to make a good gun better.

Combat:
Windham Weaponry AR-15
Taurus 1911 9mm

Hunting:
Remington 870 12g
Taurus Ranging Bull .44

Zombies:
Standard Manufacturing DP-12 12g (no mods yet)
Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm

PHXLT1 02-16-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xk49 (Post 8906639)
I'm fairly new to gun ownership, but over the last two years I built up three nice pairings of guns. It's really just a hobby right now and I don't shoot them a lot, but my son and I are having fun prepping for the Zombie apocalypse. I like doing the research on the types of guns and purchasing and installing the "furniture" and internals to make a good gun better.

Combat:
Windham Weaponry AR-15
Taurus 1911 9mm

Hunting:
Remington 870 12g
Taurus Ranging Bull .44

Zombies:
Standard Manufacturing DP-12 12g (no mods yet)
Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm

Good Gθd those are some nice toys. My wife would sh!t if i had that.