Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   CFD's Build Thread (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170726)

CFD 09-11-2011 03:11 PM

CFD's Build Thread

2 Attachment(s)
Well, seeing that fall is right around the corner and my workload tapers off now, I will be able to finish most of the projects I've started on my car as well as a handfull more I will be working on.The pictures of my car below have some of my prototype parts on the car, some of the finished parts are ready for installation. I am working on a couple more pieces for my front facia, once they're done I will be removing it for installation and paint. Many of the parts are handcrafted and are labor intensive, if there is enough interest on any of the components I may try to produce them in an efficient manner and offer them for sale, the others I will show what I did so others can try something similar. I will be updating this thread continuously as the projects progress. If there are any components anyone has interest in let me know and I will post pictures accordingly.

Here is a list of the things I'm working on, if anything draws your attention let me know and if they are started projects I will post pics now and as they progress

Tapshift shifters
Fresh air scoops
Front plate/grille mod.
Strut covers
DRL lense covers
Wheel mods. cosmetics and widenning
Consol/gauges
Tunnel brace
Engine dress up components
Tail light mods
Rear facia mods.
Diffuser
Heater hose relocation
Hood mod.

This stuff should keep me busy for a while but I'm always thinkin'

The Stig 09-11-2011 03:18 PM

How labor intensive was making that splitter? I really like it. Also......need more pictures. Possibly some so we can get to see her from all angles.

CFD 09-11-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3740822)
How labor intensive was making that splitter? I really like it. Also......need more pictures. Possibly some so we can get to see her from all angles.

The grilles on the front splitter are the scoops for my CAI. The grilles as well as the scoops are items I have written a program for and can produce. The grilles themselves can be made and installed without to much difficulty, the functional scoops are the labor intensive components, I am researching having a mold made where they can be made of plastic or a composite material, this would make them an affordable mod. The ones pictured ar of aluminum.

I have several pictures of the car from different angles before the heratige grille install that I will post as well as a few of the grilles/scoops from a previous thread.

Camaro2SSRS 09-11-2011 03:41 PM

Nice looking car. Great color!
:stang:

CFD 09-11-2011 03:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics from different angles

CFD 09-11-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro2SSRS (Post 3740892)
Nice looking car. Great color!
:stang:

Thanks, I've got a love hate relationship with black cars and bikes. lol.

CFD 09-11-2011 03:52 PM

Here is one of the scoops and grilles.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1276382384

CFD 09-11-2011 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is todays project. My car is my daily driver and I use it to pick up parts and stock. I am sick of picking metal chips out of my trunk carpet so I cut a mat out of a scrap piece of my gym floor. (1/4 " thick recycled tires, indestructable) A little tip. I am always cutting templates that require accuracy. I have found old fashioned tin shears to be very accurate when they can be used, this can be seen by how detailed the cuts are. As a little added bonus it cut down on road noise noticeably

CFD 09-12-2011 10:35 AM

6 Attachment(s)
This morning I finished a few small details on what will be my permanent plate mount. The prototype that is pictured on my car is made of aluminum, the final product is the oem plate mount cut down and fitted to the oem grille and welded in place. Here are a couple of quick pics of both the prototype and the finished one.

CFD 09-12-2011 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Todays project was working on my wheels. I had posted a while back I was working on a hub cap to hide the cutouts and lug nuts. I decided I want that look(it goes with the overall theme I am working on) but have taken a different approach. I want them as clean as possible so I made some inserts to fill the cutouts, welded them in place and have pretty much got them to shape. I started machining the pieces that will cover the lug nuts but cannot continue with them untill I clean up the counterbores where the lug nuts go. They do not have clean crisp edges for my inserts to sit in. This is needed to make them dissapear. So by the weeks end I hope to mount them in one of my milling machines and true the holes. While I'm at it I will determine if they will fit in my machines so that I can cut and widden them, if not I will have to send them out. Here are a couple of real quick photo's to give an idea on what I am doing. Hopefully by the weeks end I will be able to post a couple of pics with the holes trued and at least a prototype lugnut cover in place. I roughed out a piece of aluminum to give an idea of what the covers will look like in place.

CFD 09-13-2011 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to my nightmare lol. Today I am trueing the holes on my wheels to fit the lug nut caps. I should have known being cast wheels every hole and cutout is a different size and far from being completely round. The portion of the holes that I did the welding on came out almost perfect, the portion of the holes that have the factory finish are very sloppy due to the polishing as well as the lug nut holes not being perfectly centered in the counterbores.This will result in every cap being hand fitted. I took a couple of photos of the work I'm doing and you will see what I have to deal with. No biggie just a ton of labor. I do not recomend paying to have someone do this, buy custom wheels lol.

CFD 09-13-2011 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well now, I HAD two choices, I could have left the wheels as pictured above and polished them and be done with it, all in all it would have been fine with a very suttle difference from the stock wheels but since when have I been known to leave well enough alone.lol. So The only other way would be to resize the holes to a larger diameter and take the chance of breaking through my welded inserts, which I suspected would happen and it did. Now I have to grind out the area that broke through, weld in new pieces and resize the holes one more time x 4 wheels x 5 holes not a cost effective endeavor by any means but when done I'm hoping it will be worth it. That's it for today on the wheels.

CFD 09-13-2011 01:56 PM

Just for fun I tried setting up a wheel to see if I could cut and widden them but they are to big for my equipment. Doing 16" motorcycle wheels is not a problem but I guess I will be sending mine out if they don't end up in the scrap pile.

CFD 09-14-2011 02:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent some more time on my wheels today. I set them both up in the milling machine and resized the holes as well as truing them. If you compare yesterdays photo's to these you will see how much cleaner they are as well as round. Looking down on them it is really evident.Now I have to grind out where the cutter broke through the insert and make new ones then clean up the whole one more time, all this because these wheels are all over the place and actually pretty sloppy. I added a counterbore to hold the lug nut covers in place, a slight change in design due to the holes not being concentric to the lug nuts.