Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   2012 Z28 HP Speculation (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121624)

RLHMARINES 01-06-2011 10:01 PM

I think the hp will be in the 575-585 hp range advertised but with a little more for good measure where it counts. The 2012 Z/28 will have a little more tweaking than the CTS-V has to safely one-up the GT500 and also counter what ford will do after the Z is released. The 5th Gen. will be replaced sometime in the 2014 model run along with the mustang so it's safe to say that the 2013 model year will see some up tick in hp to keep interest in the current model and also to marshall out the Gen. IV LS engines.

The C7 Corvette should make landfall in the 2013 model year to debut the new next Gen. engines and to clearly have it's own coming out party without having to share debuts with the 6th Gen. Camaro and keep Corvette's position as the platform that debuts new technology for GM.

I seriously doubt that GM will debut the new next Gen. engines in the current platforms but I think that Z/28 will have similar performance to the HP550 Camaro and the Calloway 585 Camaro packages. Gear ratios and tuning will be a big factor also. The Z will be faster than the base corvette but that's expected against the top Camaro model, GM will not have problem with it. Sports car verses muscle car, two different target customers.

SS_Coop 01-06-2011 11:16 PM

I agree completely, the Corvette and the CTS-V both appeal to a different market and the Z/28 being the top model for the Camaro it should have more power to compete with the GT500. Not to mention that the Camaro is what is helping GM get back to where it belongs in the automobile market; they need to ride this wave as long as they can.

What it really comes down to is that for those that have a CTS-V and a Corvette they'll be upset if their cars aren't the top dogs any more. But I'll say this, the Z06 and ZR1 are both upgrades from the base model Corvette and they have much more hp, grant it the z06 only has 505 hp only 65 hp more than the base Corvette. It won't be long before the CTS-V is upgraded if they don't up the hp with the Z/28. I could also see Chevy increasing the hp in the Z06 as well.

It’s just ridiculous to think that GM will hold back just so they don’t make the CTS-V look bad in the hp department. I’m going to say that it’ll be upwards around 580 hp to 600 hp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLHMARINES (Post 2704513)
I think the hp will be in the 575-585 hp range advertised but with a little more for good measure where it counts. The 2012 Z/28 will have a little more tweaking than the CTS-V has to safely one-up the GT500 and also counter what ford will do after the Z is released. The 5th Gen. will be replaced sometime in the 2014 model run along with the mustang so it's safe to say that the 2013 model year will see some up tick in hp to keep interest in the current model and also to marshall out the Gen. IV LS engines.

The C7 Corvette should make landfall in the 2013 model year to debut the new next Gen. engines and to clearly have it's own coming out party without having to share debuts with the 6th Gen. Camaro and keep Corvette's position as the platform that debuts new technology for GM.

I seriously doubt that GM will debut the new next Gen. engines in the current platforms but I think that Z/28 will have similar performance to the HP550 Camaro and the Calloway 585 Camaro packages. Gear ratios and tuning will be a big factor also. The Z will be faster than the base corvette but that's expected against the top Camaro model, GM will not have problem with it. Sports car verses muscle car, two different target customers.

jmaryt 01-07-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 2672331)
Non of my info comes from GM employees or GM vendors. But more a common sense, Doing my woke to see what is going on and why, It dos not make any sense to release a new motor in the camaro, AKA gen V motor, and the LS9 will bring the cast to $60k+ on the car so if we all angry that its a supercharged V-8 then what is left to not be a fact.

Next there is timing we all know that a car has a life span for the Wow affect, so 2 years after the release of the gen5 camaro its time for the convertible to come out and now it will be about 1 tear till the Z28 comes out and that will keep the line fresh in the mind of ppl and then there will be some thing new after that like a new ........ and so on.

That is how all car company's work and all manufacturing company's work.

yeah!..where does it end?..it ends with the cafe ratings!..that's where!..step up to the plate..spend 60 large,and then tuck it away in a barn somewhere,
and sit on it!

NoynuR 01-07-2011 12:22 AM

the zr-1 only has like 638 horsepower maybe the z28 will have the corvettes 7.0 l 505 hp engine or maybe the lsa you never know!

PeeBee 01-07-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarolt76 (Post 2704353)
You are really dreaming with those lofty numbers!:facepalm:[

And yet, when I get one, I WILL have that amount of hp, even if I need to mod it to get there.

My Tuscan weighs 1060kg and it has 600+bhp, so the Camaro will have to do it's best there ;)

Besides, I have a "one-liner" I tend to keep in mind, something I read in a Lotus brochure I got on a car show: The last page showed a yellow Esprit, with a guy in suit leaning on it, and below it said "what are dreams but plans yet to be fulfilled".

I was 14 at the time, and decided by the age of 30 I would have my own Lotus. Picked it up at the factory when I was 26...

mikeSS 01-07-2011 01:43 AM

i think GM is make it a monster. just to be on top

ZNOLMT 01-07-2011 01:55 AM

I'm guessing they wont do a new HP rating for it even if it technically does have better flowing exhaust and intake.

It will likely SAY 556 ... maybe a year later they'll bump it up to 565 or something if they feel the need.

Mark H 01-07-2011 03:51 AM

The more the better :)

Arioch 01-07-2011 06:52 AM

It's definitely going to be right around 580 hp.

CamaroJedi 01-07-2011 08:16 AM

My guess, more than the Caddy lest than the ZR1.

bobmac427 01-07-2011 08:34 AM

You guys need to look at the history of chevy. You're not going to get it all, the 1st year out. Then there will be nothing to sell the following year.

So, look for a 100hp jump from the standard V8 for the Z28. In a year or 2 they'll up the hp some more.

The Corvette will be dropped in a couple of years and the Camaro will then be pulled out of Canada and will finally become American Made, where the Corvette was once built.

Not exactly what I want to see happen but my crystal ball is pretty accurate.

Shurenuff 01-07-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmac427 (Post 2705392)
You guys need to look at the history of chevy. You're not going to get it all, the 1st year out. Then there will be nothing to sell the following year.

So, look for a 100hp jump from the standard V8 for the Z28. In a year or 2 they'll up the hp some more.

The Corvette will be dropped in a couple of years and the Camaro will then be pulled out of Canada and will finally become American Made, where the Corvette was once built.

You need to take that crystal ball in for service.

ULTRAZLS1 01-07-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurenuff (Post 2705615)
You need to take that crystal ball in for service.

:laugh:

truth411 01-07-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUESMOKE69 (Post 2703703)
525 HP.......

:sm3: :laugh:

wildpaws 01-07-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmac427 (Post 2705392)

Considering that the C7 Vette is due out in a couple of years (and it should be a short lived place holder model) and they are already working on the C8 Vette, perhaps your crystal ball needs a good cleaning so you can see the future better.
Clyde

jose1003 01-07-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweeter81 (Post 2675336)
GM is NOT going to give the new Z/28 more substantially power than the CTS-V for $12,000 less. It's just not going to happen.

People need to use the brains God gave them and look into past performance cars to find the answer to this question. The new engine is most likely going to be the LSA, and it will only make more power than the 556 HP the CTS-V has, if the intake and exhaust are slightly more free-flowing. I would guess a 10 HP bump to approximately 566 HP.

GM has absolutely no reason to push the limits of the motor more than they already have (and for less money, even).

This new Z/28 doesn't need 600 or 800 HP to be competitive and beat the GT500 performance numbers. It just needs high quality, wide, and sticky tires (read: not Goodyear F1s) and a great suspension setup for the roadcourse.

it gave the SS 424 same than a corvette in a ls3 for 20,000 less oh yes i say around 600. Chevy didn't come to compete with ford they came here to bury them

ViperTomcat 01-07-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose1003 (Post 2706090)
it gave the SS 424 same than a corvette in a ls3 for 20,000 less oh yes i say around 600. Chevy didn't come to compete with ford they came here to bury them

If they dont they might as well pull out all the stops for the Camaro. The GT500 has been a known element for 4-5 years now in both forms..if the Z28 didnt do it better then that would be pathetic.

The LS3 in the Camaro produces less power than the same LS3 in the Corvette.

My guess is 565ish HP.

stikSS 01-07-2011 02:45 PM

Ford will just have to figure out how to put 2 superchargers on the GT500!

nester7929 01-07-2011 02:46 PM

Even if GM did keep the Z/28's output under that of the CTS-V by restricting airflow, it just means you'll be able to rework the intake/exhaust and really open it up.

ViperTomcat 01-07-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stikSS (Post 2706605)
Ford will just have to figure out how to put 2 superchargers on the GT500!

My guess is a twin-turbo 5.0.

If they do that..hello 650 HP.

radz28 01-07-2011 03:15 PM

Between 580-600 horse, IMO.

I don't really believe GM is going with power between SS and CTS-V. I see many photos with the GT500 in prototype testing, therefore I'm thinking that is the target. Having said that, in order to be competitive now, I believe Z28 has to at least match the GT500 where it currently is. However, I believe the GT500 is going to get a bump by 2012, so I think GM will try to look ahead, bump it closer to ZR1, so it's not going to see a huge spread, if any, should it be a significant increase from the serpent. It has to make up for the weight, which I believe will fall in between SS coupe and convert', so I'm a little torn on how to propose it will get there.

Since I've read CTS-V's exhaust is quite conservative, and it being a luxury car, I believe their are restrictions that can be relaxed for Z28, resulting in a small bump from LSA level. It appears the intake and exhaust systems might be a little less restrictive when the V6 goes from CTS to CAMARO, so that's another little bit of support to me. In addition, the quad tips suggest dual-mode exhaust, like those featured on the Y-Bodies; another opportunity for a bit more power. It certainly sounded better in those videos at the 'Ring!

A new upper intake plenum suggests to me there's a little more development between LSA and LS9. Because the upper plenum doesn't appear to be as flat as LS9, maybe there is a little less restriction, so perhap we could see a 2300 running 1900 psi levels (10.5 to 9.0, respectively) and make the power I'm suggesting.

It'd be nice to see an upgrade to the short block, for the pistongs and rods. I don't think Ti rods are necessary, but it'd be nice to see the forged slugs from LS9 carry over, and maybe some forged H-beam rods from the GMPP catalog. I'd like to see LS9's cam come over, too, since it doesn't have to be conservative, like one would expect in a luxury vehicle, like CTS-V. It'd be nice to be able to grow, safely, to 600-650 RWHP, like the GT500 can (and more...), but I can't complain, too much, knowing that if GM releases a 600 horse' Z28, it can't be pushed to 700 horse' with a little pulley, CAI, and exhaust upgrading/tuning.

I'm just crossing my fingers the chassis tuning will match the power in terms of performance. I'm sure we're going to be adding weight, so I hope GM can find a way to control it :thumbsup::bow::respekt:

CamK18 01-07-2011 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those of you who are still unsure about the LSA going into the Z-28...

REVENGE 01-07-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie (Post 2704130)
I'm willing to bet the engine will be the LSA but the horsepower will be less than 556 hp. I don't see GM giving the Camaro more power than the Cadillac CTS-V rating of 556. The LS3 is in the Corvette and Camaro SS but the Corvette has slightly more horsepower. The horsepower for the Z28 will probably be around 540-550.;)

So you think Chevy will release a Z28 that cannot beat the GT500.:facepalm:

garagelogic 01-07-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REVENGE (Post 2707447)
So you think Chevy will release a Z28 that cannot beat the 2011 GT500.:facepalm:

Fixed that for you.

Mr. Wyndham 01-07-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garagelogic (Post 2707575)
Fixed that for you.

I don't think they'll release a Z28 intent of competing against the GT500 that's maxed out.

Given that this is to be the pedestal-standing Camaro for a good solid 3 years, yet..."Let down" or "good enough" are not the kinds of phrases the engineers and designers have in their vocabulary.