Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poor MPG and Jerking SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105099)

nitto85 09-09-2010 07:23 PM

Poor MPG and Jerking SS

I've had my 2010 SS for about a week and have noticed a couple problems.

First, the car seems to jerk sometimes when on the gas, somewhat violently and will jerk 2 or 3 times before continuing on. It mostly does it from a stop, but I can also feel it slightly when cruising at low speeds.

I think this paragraph describes it best:

"Furthermore, and something I just determined was a serious issue after last night, the car started jumping/lurching (for lack of a better description) when I gave it the gas to increase speed suddenly from approximately 10 mph to 25 mph. I would describe it as giving it gas, letting off, giving it gas, letting off repeatedly and quickly. It was jerking soooo bad, after about 3 jumps, I briefly let off of the gas for a second and then gassed it again for it to repeat the same thing again. I finally totally let off the gas and coasted a minute before applying the gas slow and steady to get it to proceed "normally". I had noticed this "jumping/lurching" a couple times before when I would pull quickly out into traffic from a stop, but played it off as me not being familiar with this kind of engine/car as it only lurched forward once before I would let off the gas and then apply it more slowly to proceed. I thought it was odd but my suspicions were only confirmed last night after that crazy incident."

From thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77233

Also I am getting what I would consider poor MPG, currently at about 15.1 MPG. Any idea why? I see a lot of people getting 18-20+ MPG.
The MPG was over 16 a week ago, and seems to be getting worse and worse even though I haven't been overly aggressive with the pedal.

I have a 2010 Auto SS, I have been putting regular gas in it because the dealer told me it took regular.

I really appreciate any help.
Thank you.

SuperFly03 09-09-2010 07:40 PM

SS's take premium... dealer lied to you.

I got 16 flat on my SS M6... but I got on it a fair amount.

nitto85 09-09-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFly03 (Post 2314476)
SS's take premium... dealer lied to you.

I got 16 flat on my SS M6... but I got on it a fair amount.

Yeah I found that out last night, going to burn off the rest of the regular in the tank and then fill with premium. Could that be the solution to my problems?

Milk 1027 09-09-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mst504 (Post 2314487)
Yeah I found that out last night, going to burn off the rest of the regular in the tank and then fill with premium. Could that be the solution to my problems?

Make sure you pull the fuses after filling with premium. Do a search on here for the "fuse pull thread"

I believe they are fuses numbers 5 and 20.

SuperFly03 09-09-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mst504 (Post 2314487)

It should solve the MPG problem but the jerkiness... well I don't know about that.

My M6 had a horrific problem with it that I couldn't ever get solved.

TOMS1SS 09-10-2010 08:26 AM

It will take regular but premium is recommended, it won't make the same power or run as smooth on regular. Most car reviews on the six speed auto were averaging 15 to 16 MPG, I also have a SS with six speed auto and I average 16 MPG flat. Unless you do a ton of freeway driving you won't average anywhere near the highway fuel economy listed on the sticker. What is the current average speed that your SS is showing, mine is at 31.7 MPH so you can tell I drive on the city more often.

Scott@Bjorn3D 09-10-2010 09:04 AM

Put Premium in it after running the tank as low as you can. Run 1/4 of the Premium out of the car. Then top off again. Then that night pull fuse 5 and 20 in the engine bay fuse box. Leave fuses out overnight. Put fuses back in in the morning. Make sure after pulling the fuses you do nothing with the car while they are out. Do not open any doors, lock or unlock it or anything while they are out.

You where just given this advise by the owner of #230. Take it believe me, old timers around here will tell you I know dang well what I am talking about.

ssjoe 09-10-2010 09:25 AM

Do you leave the hood open after pulling the fuses. I use 93 octane for fuel, but I have the jerkiness he is talking about as well. Once in a while it happens, seems to be when its cold usually.

SuperFly03 09-10-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjoe (Post 2316170)
Do you leave the hood open after pulling the fuses. I use 93 octane for fuel, but I have the jerkiness he is talking about as well. Once in a while it happens, seems to be when its cold usually.

I had the same issue... never did figure out what it was related to.

I was thinking something in the engine was misfiring but the service guy said he found nothing. :(

nitto85 09-10-2010 07:01 PM

I appreciate all the advice, I have about half a tank of regular left until I can try premium and a fuse pull.
My average speed is about 26 MPH.

Also, I know some people say they have experienced the jerkiness while the engine was cold, I have had it while the engine was cold and hot.

3min3m2 09-10-2010 08:00 PM

I'd say it is probably the lack of premium gas...

Just my $.02

2010 SSRS 09-11-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3min3m2 (Post 2318278)
I'd say it is probably the lack of premium gas...

Just my $.02

:word:

RichieRich 09-11-2010 12:29 AM

No worries about the jerking, it's just that the horses want to run.

SSN8R 09-13-2010 10:52 AM

You say the car 'jerks' when you are on the gas...
Your description always groups the symptom with hard accelleration.

Just a thought, have you tried turning off the traction control?:iono:

SSN8R