Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why can't GM offer closer to Mustang (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304370)

larietrope 06-27-2013 10:36 AM

Why can't GM offer closer to Mustang

I'm puzzled why a Mustang gets one engine and one automatic transmission and Camaro fans have to drop down to a 400 HP engine to get an automatic.
If the ZL1 can handle an automatic why not the LS3 ?
Also Mustang gets the good exhaust in the package and we have to pay 800 plus for the NPP. The short throw shifter is in all GT Mustangs where the short throw is an option in a Camaro, more bucks.
Mustang also offers 3:55 gears and 3:91 gears as an option where your only rear end choice with Camaro of a 3:91 is to go for the 1LE package.
Seems GM could tidy up the Camaro and have an even better car.

PoorMansCamaro 06-27-2013 10:38 AM

the sales of the last 3 years or so, says otherwise. GM is doing fantastic on the Camaro.

willhe64 06-27-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larietrope (Post 6722827)
I'm puzzled why a Mustang gets one engine and one automatic transmission and Camaro fans have to drop down to a 400 HP engine to get an automatic.

Also Mustang gets the good exhaust in the package and we have to pay 800 plus for the NPP. The short throw shifter is in all GT Mustangs where the short throw is an option in a Camaro, more bucks.

Mustang also offers 3:55 gears and 3:91 gears as an option where your only rear end choice with Camaro of a 3:91 is to go for the 1LE package.

1. It is done to avoid the gas guzzler tax. The ZL1 gets hit with this.

2. The Mustang does not have a dual mode exhaust, you are paying for some mechanical stuff with the NPP. Having a short throw shifter does not mean much when it is coupled to the crappiest Chinese Tranny on the planet.

3. I'd love me some gear choices for sure. 3:73 would be my choice.

2010SS2SS 06-27-2013 11:09 AM

In 2009 -2010 the Camaro out sold the Mustang for the first time in like 25 yrs and it has every years since. Even without having a convertible over the first few.

SOMETHING works! May not be your choice but plenty of us here think its a better car than the Mustang. Of which I've owned about 15.

camaro-dreamer 06-27-2013 11:54 AM

As a mustang owner, the exhaust is still very quiet. Also, you have the option of 3.73 gears. I am not aware of any options from Ford for a 3.91 gear set. Ford Racing does put out a set of 4.10s and 4.56s though The auto mustang gets a 3.15 gear set. The engine technically gets the same power, but the losses are still higher and the gears are still taller.

i2disturbedSS 06-27-2013 12:26 PM

Despite all of that , I still choose my camaro over a mustang and others.

... and you can get the 3.91gears on any camaro just not from factory
And maybe some ppl dont really care for a short shifter
also the LS3 & L99 are close in 1/4times I believe

AdamZ 06-27-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS (Post 6723409)
Despite all of that , I still choose my camaro over a mustang and others.

... and you can get the 3.91gears on any camaro just not from factory
And maybe some ppl dont really care for a short shifter
also the LS3 & L99 are close in 1/4times I believe

LS3 is faster of course.

Ahahahaha BRING IT L99ers!

I kid I kid :)

BigRedMikeLV 06-27-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering where you are getting the gear ratios from? The GT track package is 3.73, with 3.31 standard on the manual, and 3.15 on the auto. No 3.91 in sight.

Mustang exhaust has never been raved about. In fact reviews have said the Mustang is so quiet you wouldn't even realize it was a V8 without the GT labeling. Also if you are talking about "in cabin", they put in a special resonator because it's so damn quiet.

As far as the HP drop between the auto and manual, there are countless threads on the reasons why. It has to do with AFM, which the ZL1 and Mustang don't have. There are substantial changes required to make this happen, which unfortunately has the effect of some HP loss.

jravenfan 06-27-2013 12:46 PM

There is 26HP difference from L3 to L99, so it's not a huge difference and I'm ok with not having to pay the gass guzzler tax.

bigssc 06-27-2013 12:52 PM

love my L99 so far and my Range 8 comes today :)

hrpiii 06-27-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZ (Post 6723433)
LS3 is faster of course.

Ahahahaha BRING IT L99ers!

I kid I kid :)

Grrrrrrrr... don't make me drive over there, I will. :smm7:

i2disturbedSS 06-27-2013 01:51 PM

:smiling1: :happy0180:

Faster to break.

RonnieG 06-27-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Same could be said the other way

I'm puzzled why a Camaro gets a better engine and Mustang fans have to settle for less when we've been in the game and had the ability to respond to the 5th gen release.
If the Camaro 1LE can beat the Shelby around Willow Springs then why even mustang?
Also Camaro offers upgraded exhaust and we're stuck with no option.
Camaro's have independent rear suspension while we're still stuck with a live rear axle.
With all the advantages that the Camaro has, we're left to go aftermarket which means more bucks and more hassle.
Seems like GM's tidied up a bit and made the Camaro an even better car.

:stang:

Avenging Orange 06-27-2013 03:20 PM

I think GM is getting there. I agree Ford has lots more dealer installed and Ford aftermarket performance options. I think the longer the Camaro is around, we'll see more.