Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Do you want a ZL1 automatic transmission option? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128470)

Mr. Wyndham 02-15-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurst equipped (Post 2846349)
gm still can put the automatic trans standard and we'll have to pay for the manual option... it can happen.

I don't think GM's ever done that...at least not lately...

29er 02-16-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 2846656)
I don't think GM's ever done that...at least not lately...

yes they did.. in 2002 4th gen.long time ago! when i ordered my trans am ws6. both the camaro SS& trans am+vert, had auto trans std and manual 6 speeds as optional. in selecting the 6 speed it came with hurst shifter.
the formula came with manual.el cheapo firebird came with the auto.

IamJacksCamaro 02-16-2011 09:00 AM

Absolutely offer an automatic GM! I'm a manual-only guy, but why lose the automatic-only potential customer?

Mr. Wyndham 02-16-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurst equipped (Post 2847419)
yes they did.. in 2002 4th gen.long time ago! when i ordered my trans am ws6. both the camaro SS& trans am+vert, had auto trans std and manual 6 speeds as optional. in selecting the 6 speed it came with hurst shifter.
the formula came with manual.el cheapo firebird came with the auto.

huh....the hurst-shifter I guess makes....some sense to charge extra. And maybe the 4-speed auto was about the same price as the 6-speed manual back then?

I know the 4-speed auto in the Cobalt was only about a $400 upcharge from the 'lowly' 5-speed manual...but the 6-speed automatics they're using across the board seem to be $900-$1200 more than their fellow manuals. :iono:

DevilKnightFalcon 02-16-2011 10:05 AM

I think it's interesting that GM does not charge extra for the automatic option on the CTS-V. Maybe there is hope that it would be available as a no cost option or at least not very expensive for the ZL1. If i'm not mistaken the auto on a 2LT like mine is something like $1100.

camarosss 02-16-2011 11:06 AM

Auto NO!

I say NO but it would open up the market for potential buyers. IMO there is no such thing as an automatic ZL1. I personally would turn away from it at a show just for that one reason.

DevilKnightFalcon 02-16-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarosss (Post 2848413)
I say NO but it would open up the market for potential buyers. IMO there is no such thing as an automatic ZL1. I personally would turn away from it at a show just for that one reason.

It's sad to see that there are so many people that are so closed minded and stuck in the past.

radz28 02-16-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon (Post 2848559)
It's sad to see that there are so many people that are so closed minded and stuck in the past.

Yes. Those same people probably don't see the value in EFI, IRS, and all the rest of the technology that makes the 5th Gen such a great car. OH WELL. Everyone's got an opinion.

Tie Rod 02-16-2011 03:40 PM

WHY NO....

I don't understand why there will be no Automatic for the ZL1. I know the Caddy only had a stick for awhile but did come out with a automatic later on. The big problem is the wife wants to drive and that is something I have tried to teach her but no luck!! Can't get rid of her been together to long. So I have to wait until a automatic comes out or put one in myself.
Does anyone have the same problem?

shank0668 02-16-2011 03:49 PM

They are still developing it, I would be willing to bet there will be an automatic offered when production starts.

radz28 02-16-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shank0668 (Post 2849542)
They are still developing it, I would be willing to bet there will be an automatic offered when production starts.

:word: If they see there's support for it, they'll add it. I seriously thought there would've been one already in the works, but, hey - you just never know. The competition does well enough without a slushbox, so...

29er 02-16-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 2848028)
huh....the hurst-shifter I guess makes....some sense to charge extra. And maybe the 4-speed auto was about the same price as the 6-speed manual back then?

I know the 4-speed auto in the Cobalt was only about a $400 upcharge from the 'lowly' 5-speed manual...but the 6-speed automatics they're using across the board seem to be $900-$1200 more than their fellow manuals. :iono:

at the time the option was 440$cdn for the 6 speed. the automatics were standard & was included in the price at no cost.

pretty shure if gm came with an auto for the ZL1 it will cost like you mentionned $900+ and maybe tops at 1400 that would be alot..

maybe the question in the forum should be; how much you are willing to pay for an automatic?? maybe some guys will row some gears to save $$!!

PQ 02-16-2011 04:35 PM

My neighbor blew me away yesterday. (maybe the day before)

But he came over and asked me a million questions about the car and said he was looking at getting one. He said he heard the Z-28 was coming out and he would love the power with a warranty. (told me once again that he thought I was crazier than shit, I started tearing my car apart in the garage as soon as I got it ;))

I had no idea he would even be in to a car like this.

So I told him all about the ZL1 and he was totaly cool with checking it out. (How cool would that be? I could race mine against his and see who wins)

We were talking about all rumors leading up to now and when I told him about the tranny he was bummed. NO WAY could he get the stick. His wife, who interestingly enough seems to be more interested than him in this stuff, can not drive a stick.

Now I did my due diligence, while she was out there, in telling her she could learn in no time, but she wasn't even gonna try. The car would be his, but she has to be able to drive it.

He shifted the conversation directly to the 2011 BMW M3 as it does have true paddles and a full automated mode. He already knew that. So because it's the hot topic here on C5, I decided to ask him straight up. Would he honestly consider getting the ZL1 if it has an auto option. He said it legitimately would be between that and the M3. He said he had googled the Z-28 and liked what he saw........ apperently he had seen the ZL1 and just figured Z-28, he described soem of the reveal pics........ and so I tried to 'Sell' him a ZL1 then and there, :laugh:, but I told him there would be no auto tranny at least the first year. He said he was buying when his car was paid off next June and could trade a little early but wouldn't wait any longer.

So I listened to a bunch of talk about the BMW and tried to stay interested but there wasn't much I really gave a damn about. I did learn a little about the M3 though.

And Bonnie needs a 4 door. :laugh:

Revo1 02-16-2011 06:01 PM

The closer I look at ZL1, the MORE I WANT IT! I'd happily pay to have the steering wheel swapped out.

They need to provide an A6.