Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   #4768 - Delivered and Made Ready the Right Way! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26594)

Thrillz 06-12-2009 11:24 PM

Gratz on the car man its a beauty. Detailing is a lot different then the average joe washing and cleaning his/her car . If u ever want to take detailing to a whole different lvl head over to http://www.autopia.org . Best place you will find on the net of taking care of your cars. Also on this site moose really knows his stuff if u need advice he's the man to ask. Not letting the dealer prep your car was very smart.:coolpics::coolpics:

moto-camaro 06-13-2009 12:14 AM

awesome write-up (i learned a thing or two!), and AWESOME car!! :D

LikaRokBowTie 06-13-2009 01:25 AM

I have been detailing my personal cars like that for 25yrs,I was using mothers
on my Grand National 1984,would spend like 4-5 hours under the shade tree,
the only thing I didn't have then was the clay bar which I first tried on my SS
and I almost took a S*** when the clay smeared all over the hood,and I sprayed the lubricant first just like the directions stated,which I also read like 3 friggin times,so i end up calling the 800# and explain the situation and the guy says do you have any paint cleaner,I said yes so used that to remove the clay,and I have never used a claybar again,but think I will give another try on my other car as a test,got to watch out because of water restrictions
can't get caught washing your car,and I'm not someone who likes people telling me what I can do to much,especially stuff like that:bs:

blackedout010 06-13-2009 01:27 AM

congrats

Number_9 06-13-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewelZ (Post 579673)
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap:

Number_9, amazing story my friend. I read the whole thing and you gave it your all! I was teared at the end. I am very happy for you, take good care of her ,and I hope she does the same for you. What did you name her?

Thanks! You can bet she's getting pampered. We're having a D/FW Camaro5 member meeting today (noon - Snuffer's, Plano) so I was waxing her at midnight last night, and got up this morning to do the interior and another coat of wax and detail spray. Her name is Camilla... or Cami (named after my wife, like our son is named after me).

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewelZ (Post 579673)
P.S. GET STEVE TO JOIN THE FORUM AND PLACE A STEP BY STEP DETAILED 'made ready' THREAD FOR ALL OF US TO GIVE TO OUR DEALERS!!!

Looks like he did... he's posted a few above yours.. sp1995. Thanks again Tropi-Care!

BamaKid 06-13-2009 11:40 PM

Wow. What an excellent post.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

69 Hugger 06-18-2009 07:34 AM

Wow, Talk about thorough:thumbsup: Nice post:clap: Nice looking car enjoy:w00t:

SK360 06-18-2009 09:53 AM

Steve is a great guy, glad to see he hooked you up personally! The car looks fantastic.

BackinBlackSS/RS 06-18-2009 10:06 AM

Very cool!! Thanks for the write up!!! Congrats!!! :thumbup::w00t:

Number_9 06-18-2009 02:19 PM

Steve is definitely a good guy, and the Tropi-Care line of products seems first rate too. I couldn't be happier with how my car turned out... and now I have the ability and the tools to keep it looking this way.

Scrapppy666 06-18-2009 02:55 PM

I'm no expert but... is it really necessary to claybar fresh paint... how much contamination can it really have??

Number_9 06-18-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 (Post 597225)
I'm no expert but... is it really necessary to claybar fresh paint... how much contamination can it really have??

Tons. Your car sits on a train making it's way to your side of the world... all the while getting covered in rail dust (graphite, steel, etc.) and dirt. This is after sitting in an open lot waiting to be loaded on the train. Then, your car makes it to the railyard near you... and sits waiting to be loaded on a truck bound for your dealership. All the while exposed to more elements and rail dust... only to be loaded on to an open transport truck and driven to your dealer.... all the while exposed to break dust and other debris and elements.

Now your dealer has the car... what will they do? Wash it? Yes. Wash it properly so as *not* to rub all the junk on your paint around (creating swirls and marks)? Probably not.

You get one shot to do it right, and one shot only. Make sure your aim is true.

wullger 06-18-2009 03:10 PM

Based on the high-res pics of Number 9's car, I can say the process was 100% worth it. I can only imagine how good the paint job must look in real life :D

AngryAmish 06-18-2009 03:46 PM

Thanks for such an awesome, "detailed"(pun intended) post. ;)