Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OBX headers for the V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132114)

Blade 03-09-2011 08:07 AM

Awesome :thumbsup:

Pretty much like my car sounds. Did you end up replacing the stock pipes to hook up the LTs to the MRTs? Seems like you kept the stock pipes because the system sounds a little lower than mine.

Great work!

gahammerle 03-09-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cntryman77 (Post 2935946)
yes these are LTs...I also have MRT2 axle backs...& here you go......

Um, excuse me! You exceeded the posted speed limit! :paddle:

:D

Sounds great!

2010SLVRBULIT 03-09-2011 09:08 AM

nice, what about the CEL codes?

...your plate should read 'QUICK6'..:D

bmorecam 03-09-2011 09:09 AM

I decided to hit the plunge and EZR gave me a great deal on one. I am planning to dyno mine when installed so I will let you guys know within 2-3 weeks when it go in. I had my mind set on bbk but I could not refuse after really looking at the quality, price, and already being dyno proven for v8's. I can use the extra couple hundred that I saved on something else for my big girl.

cntryman77 03-09-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 2937130)
Dude... 2 thumbs up! Can't wait to hear it in person!

only a little more than 2 weeks & you can...LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2937326)
Pretty much like my car sounds. Did you end up replacing the stock pipes to hook up the LTs to the MRTs? Seems like you kept the stock pipes because the system sounds a little lower than mine. Great work!

I still have the stock H pipes from the header back to the axle backs. I may put in an X pipe eventually

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT (Post 2937539)
nice, what about the CEL codes?

I do have a CEL, but I just ignore it for now since I'm not willing to screw my warranty with a tune

Quote:

Originally Posted by gahammerle (Post 2937372)
Um, excuse me! You exceeded the posted speed limit!

LOL, I did, but that was in an industrial park where the companys are all closed, so there was no traffic or threat of...better than being on the regular road

Blade 03-09-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cntryman77 (Post 2938070)
only a little more than 2 weeks & you can...LOL

I still have the stock H pipes from the header back to the axle backs. I may put in an X pipe eventually

Yea I had the x-pipe installed as well when I had mine done and replaced the stock pipes with SS stock pipes for the larger diameter. The effect is interesting on my car, first mile after a cold start the car is raspy, then it gives this ridiculous rumble that is just so much fun :cool: And when I lay it down on the highway or city streets, I get close to breaking glass loud, lol.

Since you are going to be at Heroes in 2 weeks, how about parking next to each other and cold starting our cars one at a time Saturday morning? LOL

KMPrenger 03-09-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmorecam (Post 2937544)
I decided to hit the plunge and EZR gave me a great deal on one. I am planning to dyno mine when installed so I will let you guys know within 2-3 weeks when it go in. I had my mind set on bbk but I could not refuse after really looking at the quality, price, and already being dyno proven for v8's. I can use the extra couple hundred that I saved on something else for my big girl.

If your time and budget allows it, try and get a before dyno as well! :w00t:

bmorecam 03-09-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 2938217)
If your time and budget allows it, try and get a before dyno as well! :w00t:

Thats what I am planning on doing I just have to find a dyno shop close to my house. I plan to dyno in this order, stock, obx long tube, obx long tube and vararam(when it come out). I dont plan on changing my stock mufflers as I can't stand loud systems, I think the long tube and intake should give me a nice change in tone on stock mufflers anyway:headbang:

Demon Hunter 03-09-2011 04:07 PM

Wow. Gotta say I'm really impressed with how those sound.

KMPrenger 03-09-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmorecam (Post 2938750)
Thats what I am planning on doing I just have to find a dyno shop close to my house. I plan to dyno in this order, stock, obx long tube, obx long tube and vararam(when it come out). I dont plan on changing my stock mufflers as I can't stand loud systems, I think the long tube and intake should give me a nice change in tone on stock mufflers anyway:headbang:

Awsome...I like your plan :w00t:

I think it will sound good also, but just in case your curious I think you can get a nice low tone with LTs without being overly loud....for instance using magnaflows or Borlas as those are fairly tame exhausts.

Magnaflow with BBK: (guy has an SS now)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88031

or Borlas with BBK:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112386

cntryman77 03-09-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2938195)
Since you are going to be at Heroes in 2 weeks, how about parking next to each other and cold starting our cars one at a time Saturday morning? LOL

if we can...I'll be there with a group...I'm actually coming down wed or thurs...staying with a buddy who lives in Fayetteville..he has a 4th gen z28

OOLIE 03-10-2011 10:38 PM

"I think it will sound good also, but just in case your curious I think you can get a nice low tone with LTs without being overly loud....for instance using magnaflows or Borlas as those are fairly tame exhausts." by KMPringer

I couldn't agree more I have a Magnaflow exhaust and magnaflow resonated xpipe. I think it is a little mellow, but when I get headers it should be perfect. At least I am hoping anyway.:)

cntryman77 03-15-2011 08:28 PM

wow, this thread went quiet quick...has anyone else with a V6 gotten these yet other than me?

Pt_killa 03-16-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cntryman77 (Post 2966401)
wow, this thread went quiet quick...has anyone else with a V6 gotten these yet other than me?

I'm checking them out right now, what is the mounting order (ie headers -> resonator->o2 sensor pipe)? I have a pair of high flow metallic cats that i would like to fit.

bmorecam 03-16-2011 04:09 PM

mine should be here tomorrow and I am planning to dyno mine. cant wait.

weedo0o 03-16-2011 05:03 PM

did you get the obx with the high flow cats or just the extension pipes?? can you feel more power??

NOVAK 03-16-2011 05:17 PM

Can you get hi flow cats with the OBX headers?

weedo0o 03-16-2011 07:04 PM

on ebay it shows them with high flows i think?? or am i wrong? i probably am wrong lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

OOLIE 03-16-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedo0o (Post 2970884)
on ebay it shows them with high flows i think?? or am i wrong? i probably am wrong lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think your right, but I am not 100%

nak3dsnake 03-16-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OOLIE (Post 2970906)
I think your right, but I am not 100%

No that pictures deceiving, scroll down and read the rest of the auction.
There's another picture that shows whats actually for sale.

OBX STAINLESS STEEL MANIFOLD

Fitment: 2010+ Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6

Product Condition : New ( more details )
Shipping Cost : please read below

Add Tuning-Depot To Favorite Sellers

Description :

* SUS-T304 stainless steel
* Individual pipe for each exhaust port
* Mandrel bend for smoother airflow to decrease resistance
* Increase engine output and efficiency
* Limited time warranty from manufacturer defects

Spec:

* Primaries: 1 3/4"
* Lead Pipe: 2.5"
* Four o2 ports
* No EGR

Other than that, please view the pictures below as what is seen is what is being shipped.

http://www.tuningdepot.com/ebay/images/H12042y.JPG

This is what your actually buying.

OOLIE 03-16-2011 07:24 PM

Oh then it is a good price but NOT quite the deal I thought

nak3dsnake 03-16-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OOLIE (Post 2970996)
Oh then it is a good price but NOT quite the deal I thought

Yeah, I was super excited when I found the auction, then I scrolled down to disappointment. I don't know why they don't sell the whole kit in the first picture.

cntryman77 03-16-2011 09:04 PM

when I bought these, I got the headers, resonators & extension pipes with o2 sensor sockets...I had to buy the o2 extension harnesses seperate...the install wasnt too bad, although the passenger side bolts are a PITA to get to because of a cooling tube that runs down that side of the engine...I've noticed a considerable difference in throttle response & I love the sound...check my earlier posts for videos...the resonators look almost like high flow cats (yes officer, I have cats, look...lol)

PoorMansCamaro 03-16-2011 09:08 PM

Supposedly the build quality of the obx isn't that great. There's a pretty good thread in the v8 section comparing them to kooks, which is who they are trying to copy. Just passing the info.

OOLIE 03-16-2011 09:23 PM

Yeah I just read that. Plus without the HFC's I don't know if I will go that route. I do have to say the cars sound great with them so I don't blame people for getting them but I want the HFC's if I am going to do it. Back to BBK's and more money dang. LOL

bmorecam 03-16-2011 10:12 PM

actually you can buy the high flow cat seperate and I heard that solo can fit too. As far as the comparison between kook and obx quality the kook is a better quality but ARH is better than kook and BBK is better than doug thorley. There's no ending. Only thing that matter is that they all are either stainless or ceramic and have about the same gain as what a long tube are suppose to give you. They are all tested and dynoed, just look at the v8 guys.

OOLIE 03-16-2011 10:23 PM

Fair enough I will look into seperate HFC's before final decision

cntryman77 03-17-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro (Post 2971553)
Supposedly the build quality of the obx isn't that great. There's a pretty good thread in the v8 section comparing them to kooks, which is who they are trying to copy. Just passing the info.

I personally thought these were pretty good...there are certain people & vendors on here bashing OBX, but everyone who has gotten them seems to be happy...yes, the quality isn't perfect, but they are by no means shoddy...as an example from other threads, the bends have some small "notches" for lack of a better term & aren't 100% baby butt smooth & the interior welds could have been smoothed a little bit nicer, but you get what you pay for...plus those kind of thing are only going to cost 3-5 HP & since I got them more for sound & I'm not a racer, 3-5 HP wasn't a deal breaker for me...& I do love the sound & the power increase though...I'm very happy with them & I'm curious to see more reviews from other V6ers of them

gahammerle 03-17-2011 09:36 PM

So... they are great for a driver, not so good if building a show car or trying to eek out every last bit of horsepower.

cntryman77 03-18-2011 09:51 AM

I think they'd be fine on a show car...the weld stuff is internal, & the bend stuff isn't noticeable unless you are right up on it...not all the bends have this either...I think mine had 3 out of 6 & it was only up on the bend by the flange & the greasing is on the underside where you can't even see it

xtreme industries 03-18-2011 01:53 PM

i am going to get these, i dont need cats and even though i have heard mixed reviews, you cant beat the price VS perfomance aspect.

have you gotten a CEL yet? are you running O2 extenders?

bmorecam 03-18-2011 02:22 PM

I got mine sitting in the garage and the welds look good. The opening of the manifold look really good too and nothing like the comparison that they did on v8 section with the kooks header. It look like somebody already tried to grind out the imperfection in the opening and made it almost perfectly smooth and round.
I am happy for the price I paid and thought kinda low of it at first but after seeing one up close in person this seem like a really good deal for the price.
it look like it was gaining right about the same as other usual long tube header on the dyno for the v8 guys so I expect the same for the v6. I just have to find someone close to me with a proper dyno so I can see the result.

ubrimah 12-17-2011 11:36 PM

Dude... all those beautiful mods yet you kept the ls rims?...

xpanda305x 12-18-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubrimah (Post 4183052)
Dude... all those beautiful mods yet you kept the ls rims?...

:sm0:

SIXJAK 12-18-2011 08:37 PM

I think the rims are kinda cool. It's a creative low(ish) cost old school mod that embodies the spirit of Hot Rodding/modding.

gahammerle 12-19-2011 09:37 AM

I like my LS rims - just wish they were about 10lbs lighter.

cntryman77 12-19-2011 11:09 AM

I actually like the LS rims than the factory 20s...I'm still playing with the idea of finding a set of the factory aluminum 18s & having them powder coated orange, but that's far down the "mods to do" list

motown9 06-26-2012 11:56 AM

Where can I purchase the obx headers

rtcat600man 06-26-2012 12:58 PM

try ebay, they had a good deal going at one time.

GasTires&Oil 06-26-2012 05:52 PM

Can anyone comment on the drone increase, with an aftermarket muffler, at 70-75 mph?