Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pedders Radius Rod Inserts installed (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156879)

caverman 07-05-2011 10:33 PM

Pedders Radius Rod Inserts installed

10 Attachment(s)
Since there isn’t much posted about these inserts I figured I would share.

I bought the Pedders Stage 1 Street kit from Rob @ Wretched Motorsports. The kit includes the Cradle Bushing Inserts and the Radius Rod Inserts. This kit is definitely the way to go to start off your suspension mods. Pedders is not the cheapest brand out there but IMO they are worth it.....especially for bushings. Actually, I think they are the only ones that make the inserts.

I'll keep this thread to the Radius Rod Inserts and will post another thread for the cradle inserts.

The Radius Rod inserts are super easy to install. You shouldn’t have to even take the wheels off. However, if you’re like me and have the ADM scoop you’ll have to loosen it so you can get the driver’s side radius rod bolt out. For me that meant taking the wheel and fender well off. That’s actually an easy thing to do though….and extra 10 min to take off and 10 min to put back on.

Just make sure to locate the correct part because at first I was taking off the wrong arm and then realized that and found the correct one. I think it took a 7/8” socket and a 13/16” wrench to hold the nut (don’t quote me on those….I can’t remember for sure but I think that’s right).

Hold the nut on one end and take the bolt off the other. The radius rod drops right out of its mounting point. Then take a screwdriver or pick and get the OEM rubber out. The Pedders inserts then just push back into place. There is a small insert guide that will keep you from installing it incorrectly. Once both sides of the radius rod have the new inserts then just bolt it back into place. It will take you as long to get the car in the air and pull the tools out as it will to install these.

The OEM rubber is super soft and the Pedders inserts are not. You can see in the pics the difference between the two. The Pedders inserts are extremley firm. It’s a major difference and there is no way it won’t make a difference.

Nomad 07-06-2011 08:59 AM

Thanks Caverman! :thumbsup: My inserts just showed up. I'm heading out to install them right now.

JusticePete 07-06-2011 10:14 AM

This is one of the best hot to posts I have seen on Camaro5. :respekt: :thumbsup: :respekt:

gahammerle 07-06-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 3427989)
Just make sure to locate the correct part because at first I was taking off the wrong arm and then realized that and found the correct one.

Haha! I did that too! Put a wrench up there and before I started turning, I realized it didn't look like the picture in the instructions.

Quote:

I think it took a 7/8” socket and a 13/16” wrench to hold the nut (don’t quote me on those….I can’t remember for sure but I think that’s right).

Yep, I used 13/16.

caverman 07-06-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gahammerle (Post 3429673)
Haha! I did that too! Put a wrench up there and before I started turning, I realized it didn't look like the picture in the instructions.

LOL.....glad to see it wasn't just me.

Unfortunatley I wasn't smart enough to notice it until after I had losened it. I probably should look at getting it re-aligned just in case. I might do that anyway before my next AutoX event.

L99CAMA2011 07-06-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Since there isn’t much posted about these inserts I figured I would share.

I bought the Pedders Stage 1 Street kit from Rob @ Wretched Motorsports. The kit includes the Cradle Bushing Inserts and the Radius Rod Inserts. This kit is definitely the way to go to start off your suspension mods. Pedders is not the cheapest brand out there but IMO they are worth it.....especially for bushings. Actually, I think they are the only ones that make the inserts.

I'll keep this thread to the Radius Rod Inserts and will post another thread for the cradle inserts.

The Radius Rod inserts are super easy to install. You shouldn’t have to even take the wheels off. However, if you’re like me and have the ADM scoop you’ll have to loosen it so you can get the driver’s side radius rod bolt out. For me that meant taking the wheel and fender well off. That’s actually an easy thing to do though….and extra 10 min to take off and 10 min to put back on.

Just make sure to locate the correct part because at first I was taking off the wrong arm and then realized that and found the correct one. I think it took a 7/8” socket and a 13/16” wrench to hold the nut (don’t quote me on those….I can’t remember for sure but I think that’s right).

Hold the nut on one end and take the bolt off the other. The radius rod drops right out of its mounting point. Then take a screwdriver or pick and get the OEM rubber out. The Pedders inserts then just push back into place. There is a small insert guide that will keep you from installing it incorrectly. Once both sides of the radius rod have the new inserts then just bolt it back into place. It will take you as long to get the car in the air and pull the tools out as it will to install these.

The OEM rubber is super soft and the Pedders inserts are not. You can see in the pics the difference between the two. The Pedders inserts are extremley firm. It’s a major difference and there is no way it won’t make a difference.

Are these the stage 1 inserts or the stage 3.

JusticePete 07-06-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 (Post 3432378)
Are these the stage 1 inserts or the stage 3.

They are the EP6578 (small radius bush inserts) sir.

Nomad 07-08-2011 12:38 PM

I had a bit of a difficult time with the install because I think the air ratchet that the operator in the plant used on mine was way out of calibration! :D

Anyway, I notice that the steering seems tighter and the Camaro doesn't wander through corners. I also noticed that the front doesn't dive as much under braking (although that could be in my head).

Nice improvements for such a small part. :thumbsup:

Ventmaster 07-08-2011 06:46 PM

Great pics! Very helpful! What do you torque the bolts back to? Thanks-

caverman 07-08-2011 10:27 PM

Some said 45 lbs....others say as tight as you can get them. I just did them as tight as I could.

ayceman 07-09-2011 12:08 AM

Thanks for posting this, it looks like this will be my next MOD looking foward to seeing what the craddle inserts did for you.

ssmike 07-09-2011 08:37 AM

Nice DIY caverman! I did the inserts and had no problem loosening the bolts! It was an easy mod and it did make a difference in steering feel! JusticePete once told me to just "use the German 'goodintite' spec", if you don't know the torque spec, lol!

justa25thTA 07-09-2011 09:06 AM

dang you, I thought I was done with mods...

caverman 07-09-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justa25thTA (Post 3442889)
dang you, I thought I was done with mods...

LOL....me too

You're never "done". They might slow down but not done.

I've had my '69 back on the road since '99 and it's still not "done". The mods on that car have slowed way done but I still have plans for more. It's just taking twice as long now that the '10 is sucking up all my mod money.