Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   My Dad just bought a 2009 Challenger SRT8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32952)

Lee9710 07-17-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi2010 (Post 692404)
Lee,

Where are you running your car? Since mine is forever in QC hold .. would love to watch you run yours!

I usually go to Charlotte or to Fayetteville motor speedway by the airport. I was going to go to the one here in Fayetteville, but there seems to be sever thunderstorm watches and warnings around Cumberland County so I'm not sure the track would be an awesome decision for tonight. I'll let you know if I do go. If the weather seems bad I may just go to watch but not sure.

Nards, you can't compare a Nascar or a dragster to an everyday vehicle like a Camaro.

Sleestack 07-17-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew (Post 692765)
Actually Car and driver got 0-60 in 4.7 for the automatic SRT8, Motortrend got the same for both the auto and the manual, annd like 13.1 in the 1/4 mile. IMHO, Ls3 6 speed and the SRT8s are a dead heat through the 1/4 mile realitically. Rmemebr the auto and 6 speed SRT8s both put out the same power and the auto seems to actually hold an edge over the 6 speed SRT8s. Also, it was the 6 speed R/T that did 0-60 in 5.2 and the 1/4 in 13.6.

The Auto SRT8 is quite a beast at 425hp, always trapping above 108Mph, even in +1500 DA conditions. Add a tune to the SRT8 Autos, and 12's are a given.

Ninjak 07-17-2009 07:45 PM

The SRT8 Challenger is a sweet sweet ride. When I sat in one, it was like buttah. Nice and roomy..hell at 6'4 I had to let the seat up one notch !

Was not for the fact they had a stupid market up when I was in the market to get a new car, (75k????) when they came out, that couple with the sweet deal I got on my current GT, I would have bought a Challenger. I always loved the look of that car, and dodge did it right.

Though I do wish they would have built it on its own platform instead of the 300 one...

thecamaroguy 07-19-2009 08:57 PM

They are picking it up Monday...

I will post pictures as soon as I get them.

2010 CAMARO SS RS 07-20-2009 02:09 PM

reason'd be?

Dakota Kid 07-20-2009 02:21 PM

The SRT8 Challenger is a formidable opponent...racing it with an SS should be neck and neck.

dragonZ28 07-21-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nards444 (Post 692553)
im not into arguing over manual vs auto. Sticks have been know to be faster and better for racing. If autos were better then why do dragsters and nascar use stick?

True dragcars use autos. Nascar uses manual transmissions because they are not driving a straight line, and at times need to slow down and speed up, which is where a manual outperforms an auto.

Drag racers will almost always use built automatic transmissions with a high stall converter to get them into the powerband quickly.

For drag racing, autos are more consistent, and when properly done, much faster than manuals. Transbrakes, and high stall converters will punish manuals at the strip.

:drinking:

thecamaroguy 07-22-2009 08:38 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Here are the pictures I promised...

As for a review of the Challenger...

Its a nice car. It feels a lot longer and heavier than the Camaro. The interior is a bit plain compared to the Camaro. The Camaro's is more refined and 2010ish, where the Challenger's is a bit dated.

The doors on the Challenger feel HUGE, bigger than what I felt with my 1994 Camaro Z28.

The ride is nice...it feels a little smoother than a sports car. It felt like a sedan, a normal car...you don't have to crawl into it, you just seat down into it. You set straight up and down in it.

The seats are very nice, they hold you in place. Very pleased with the feel of the seats.

As for power, not too bad but...Yea, it pulls very hard, but I don't think it pulled as hard as my car. But, mine is a Manual, whereas the Challenger is an Auto.

We put the Challenger on a rack and looked under the car...it has the same huge resonator like the Camaro's with Automatics do...
It has independent rear suspension like the Camaro.

As for keeping a retro look, the Challenger did an amazing job. My dad has a 1970 Cuda with a 440 that is Orange, just like the Challenger and the cars look amazing side beside. (Sorry, no picture of this yet...but I will)

Dakota Kid 07-22-2009 08:56 AM

Two beautiful American icons.:headbang:

thecamaroguy 07-22-2009 08:59 AM

I forgot...

The wheels and tires are the same size, except on the rear of the Challenger he has 255/45/20s whereas I have 275/45/20s...

thecamaroguy 07-22-2009 09:10 AM

I swear, these pictures make the car look red, but it's hemi orange...

Georgie 07-22-2009 09:49 AM

great! man, looking GOOD!!! your CGM looks awesome man! makes the choice between ABM and CGM very tough! SRT8 lookin good too. GREAT CARS

thecamaroguy 07-22-2009 10:04 AM

Thanks.

From personal experience...the pictures of the CGM do not do it justice. The paint is SO MUCH better in person than from a computer screen.

If you can get a look at it in person do it before choosing to go with another color. The color will blow you away!

ponycrusher21 07-22-2009 10:06 AM

please do post the pictures of the challenger next to the cuda lol