Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Kenne bell owners- advice (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317681)

lbheat 09-11-2013 10:27 PM

Kenne bell owners- advice

Before talking to a couple of the local shops I wanted to see what you guys recommend from experience.

So currently I sit on 2.8L Kenne bell (non-polished). I want to crank up the boost but not to the certain extent where I am maxing out my stock parts. Aside from the standard Kenne Bell kit I only installed a Corsa Catback and JRE Super Tensioner. So rest of the engine components are stock. What could I add to safely crank up the boost. I want to be around 520-530RWHP with 91 pump gas. Let me know your thoughts (for example; headers, cam, meth kit, smaller pulley.....)

Thanks for taking the time to help a noob, I'm learning along the way.

My stats last time checked:
466 rwhp/ 430-440 rwtq at 7.48 psi

Rcfiddy1 09-11-2013 10:38 PM

Your only on 91 octane? Guess that's why you had low numbers. I was over 520 on stock kb 2.8lc kit at 8psi. Have you thought about alky injection?
Also how is your IATs? I had a dual pass dual fan heat exchanger which helped a ton for the IATs. A cam will help but now your talking going into the engine. I'd say alky meth injection and a good tune.

mikepage0007 09-12-2013 07:28 AM

cam and headers will get you aound the 60hp to 80hp you want..and smaller pulley to around 9psi..

meshamey 09-12-2013 07:38 AM

Your Numbers seem really low for the KB. I would definitely be getting headers, meth kit, smaller pully

duffmobile 09-12-2013 10:09 AM

I think I was 491 RWHP and 511 TQ with my KB and bolt ons. My car pulled timing due to heat near the upper RPMS and I either need meth or a better heat exchanger. I don't know which route to go. Love the power but this blower is a heat monster.

ronniels3 09-12-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbheat (Post 6995265)
Before talking to a couple of the local shops I wanted to see what you guys recommend from experience.

So currently I sit on 2.8L Kenne bell (non-polished). I want to crank up the boost but not to the certain extent where I am maxing out my stock parts. Aside from the standard Kenne Bell kit I only installed a Corsa Catback and JRE Super Tensioner. So rest of the engine components are stock. What could I add to safely crank up the boost. I want to be around 520-530RWHP with 91 pump gas. Let me know your thoughts (for example; headers, cam, meth kit, smaller pulley.....)

Thanks for taking the time to help a noob, I'm learning along the way.

My stats last time checked:
466 rwhp/ 430-440 rwtq at 7.48 psi

I had a Kenne Bell on my C5 Corvette. I hated it. After the thing heat soaked all it was good for was frying burgers. I went back to a centrifugal.

Rcfiddy1 09-12-2013 10:42 AM

Same here. :laugh:

lbheat 09-12-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 (Post 6995294)
Your only on 91 octane? Guess that's why you had low numbers. I was over 520 on stock kb 2.8lc kit at 8psi. Have you thought about alky injection?
Also how is your IATs? I had a dual pass dual fan heat exchanger which helped a ton for the IATs. A cam will help but now your talking going into the engine. I'd say alky meth injection and a good tune.

Yeah I actually ended buying your dual heat exchanger from another guy on camaro5 that bought it from you. I will be installing it this weekend along with the polished intake since something came up last weekend. As for alky meth kits, are there any dangers from this type of setup? I might hit up Adam from ST Motorsports for a tune, hes about 40 miles from me but he sure does make some of the best tunes for the Kenne bell's.

Rcfiddy1 09-12-2013 06:40 PM

Congrats. That heat exchanger works great, you'll like it. Look in my build for pics of the install and wiring.

ayousef 09-12-2013 07:32 PM

who tuned your car? don't tell me this is a canned tune...

lbheat 09-15-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayousef (Post 6998534)
who tuned your car? don't tell me this is a canned tune...

ST Motorsports. It has a conservative tune on purpose as this is a daily driver, but i've decided to start cranking it up

67motorcat 09-15-2013 07:01 PM

yeah...466 RWHP seems rather low for even 91 octane at around 8lbs.

KB's are notorious for high IAT's so a better Heat exchanger is mandatory although with mixed results.
Your Tuner probably did all he could safely.

My Harrop puts out well over 500 RWHP with barely 6lbs(actually 5.5) of boost but, it comes with a oversize dual pass exchanger stock,it's freaking hot in Australia :).

Cool IAT's are key to good power at lower boost levels.