Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Buying a New Car (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37340)

AZ MSCL 08-14-2009 01:32 AM

Buying a New Car

I posted this on a "good" Challenger forum and it received very favorable responses. Just trying to be helpful for folks who don't know this stuff, hope you find it useful:

After getting shafted, put off, lied to, spending hours haggling over price, low-balled, etc., I eventually learned to ALWAYS go to the dealership's Fleet Sales Dep't to buy a car, ESPECIALLY NOW with the economy the way it is. Fight your way past the salespeople and carry a folder in that has your vehicle info, pictures, loan pre-approvals, etc., so they (fleet sales) know you're serious. Get on the internet if possible and search for a dealership that has the car you want, as is. If you want options changed such as different wheels, striping, etc changed, this makes it harder on the fleet salesperson.

These guys make their money by salary and volume and are generally not on a typical commission. Usually, they will sell you the car for dealer invoice or a couple hundred above (sometimes less!), without all the BS you get from a salesperson and their numerous trips to "see the sales manager" while they try to wear you down. Trick is: Know EXACTLY what you want, along with all the options, otherwise this doesn't work as smoothly.

Do your homework first! Normally, I will find the exact car I want to include VIN and approach the fleet person. Go look at the car! Regardless, give them as much info as you can, be certain you want to buy a car and have your loan pre-approved or money ready. Ask to see the dealer invoice and make sure it matches the car you want. If you are wanting to trade in a car, this can be more difficult, depending on the person you are working with. I would sell it myself first but either way, you will be dealing with the finance person eventually and they can handle that part (know what your trade is worth and what you owe, if anything).

Down side: If the economy is good and fleet is selling cars like crazy, you may not get the same enthusiasm. Also, some are just jerks. If you run into this, go somewhere else or wait. Most however, will do you right, just make sure you don't speak to any salesperson first as this will jeopardize your negotiations. If you buy through a bank or credit union's new car sales office, they go through fleet sales and they will add on a few hundred for their commission. Cut through the middleman and go straight to fleet. Additionally, I've had some offer to get cars from other dealerships for dealer invoice as well. In the case of a popular or short supply car, this doesn't always work. In the case of Camaro's, you will be better off to wait till later in the year, when the cars aren't sold before they are even on the lot. Patience will save you several thousand $'s you can put towards modifications or a great driving vacation to break that new ride in.

Warranty sales: Once you've started with the finance person, they will always try to sell you some kind of additional warranty, usually for some ridiculous price (commission). These warranties (if you want one) are also negotiable in cost so never pay what they are asking. Some can be very expensive so understand how that will effect your ultimate amount financed and monthly payment. It could put you over your pre-approved limit as well. You can tailor these warranties to your needs also.

Bank/Credit Union New Car Sales: If you're not comfortable dealing with the fleet salesperson, these services can be great. I used one a couple times and did all the paperwork at my kitchen table. Make sure you shop around for interest rates - if you are a USAA member (military or former military), they are the easiest to deal with and typically have the lowest rates.

Hope this helps.

shroomjohn 08-14-2009 08:43 AM

Good info man thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

PonyMan 08-14-2009 09:27 AM

"ALWAYS go to the dealership's Fleet Sales Dep't to buy a car" Been saying this for years!!! Does not matter if it is a Ford, or a GM product - next best thing to buying online. I find the auto I want online, call the Fleet Mgr. and it is at my dealership next day (at no charge), paperwork is ready and I am out the door in no more than twenty minutes later. Try it!!! :D

AZ MSCL 08-14-2009 10:27 AM

Exactly!!!!

:readthethread: I'm sure the car salespeople aren't happy about customers doing this (in fact, I know they aren't - there is usually bad mumba between the fleet and sales dept's because of this). Hopefully enough people read this and follow through, it will help eliminate price gouging by the dealers. BTW, a good friend who is a Chevy fleet salesman has told me to keep waiting (at least a few more months if not til Jan) before buying a Camaro (if we can afford another car payment - 3). The frenzy should have died down and Camaro's should be available for dealer invoice (if you follow the info in this thread).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonyMan (Post 797742)
"ALWAYS go to the dealership's Fleet Sales Dep't to buy a car" Been saying this for years!!! Does not matter if it is a Ford, or a GM product - next best thing to buying online. I find the auto I want online, call the Fleet Mgr. and it is at my dealership next day (at no charge), paperwork is ready and I am out the door in no more than twenty minutes later. Try it!!! :D

CBR1000RR 08-14-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rham48 (Post 797202)
I posted this on a "good" Challenger forum and it received very favorable responses. Just trying to be helpful for folks who don't know this stuff, hope you find it useful:

After getting shafted, put off, lied to, spending hours haggling over price, low-balled, etc., I eventually learned to ALWAYS go to the dealership's Fleet Sales Dep't to buy a car, ESPECIALLY NOW with the economy the way it is. Fight your way past the salespeople and carry a folder in that has your vehicle info, pictures, loan pre-approvals, etc., so they (fleet sales) know you're serious. Get on the internet if possible and search for a dealership that has the car you want, as is. If you want options changed such as different wheels, striping, etc changed, this makes it harder on the fleet salesperson.

These guys make their money by salary and volume and are generally not on a typical commission. Usually, they will sell you the car for dealer invoice or a couple hundred above (sometimes less!), without all the BS you get from a salesperson and their numerous trips to "see the sales manager" while they try to wear you down. Trick is: Know EXACTLY what you want, along with all the options, otherwise this doesn't work as smoothly.

Do your homework first! Normally, I will find the exact car I want to include VIN and approach the fleet person. Go look at the car! Regardless, give them as much info as you can, be certain you want to buy a car and have your loan pre-approved or money ready. Ask to see the dealer invoice and make sure it matches the car you want. If you are wanting to trade in a car, this can be more difficult, depending on the person you are working with. I would sell it myself first but either way, you will be dealing with the finance person eventually and they can handle that part (know what your trade is worth and what you owe, if anything).

Down side: If the economy is good and fleet is selling cars like crazy, you may not get the same enthusiasm. Also, some are just jerks. If you run into this, go somewhere else or wait. Most however, will do you right, just make sure you don't speak to any salesperson first as this will jeopardize your negotiations. If you buy through a bank or credit union's new car sales office, they go through fleet sales and they will add on a few hundred for their commission. Cut through the middleman and go straight to fleet. Additionally, I've had some offer to get cars from other dealerships for dealer invoice as well. In the case of a popular or short supply car, this doesn't always work. In the case of Camaro's, you will be better off to wait till later in the year, when the cars aren't sold before they are even on the lot. Patience will save you several thousand $'s you can put towards modifications or a great driving vacation to break that new ride in.

Warranty sales: Once you've started with the finance person, they will always try to sell you some kind of additional warranty, usually for some ridiculous price (commission). These warranties (if you want one) are also negotiable in cost so never pay what they are asking. Some can be very expensive so understand how that will effect your ultimate amount financed and monthly payment. It could put you over your pre-approved limit as well. You can tailor these warranties to your needs also.

Bank/Credit Union New Car Sales: If you're not comfortable dealing with the fleet salesperson, these services can be great. I used one a couple times and did all the paperwork at my kitchen table. Make sure you shop around for interest rates - if you are a USAA member (military or former military), they are the easiest to deal with and typically have the lowest rates.

Hope this helps.

Very Good Post Thanks:)