Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AAC sidemarker lights.......sealed mine.....Video (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162054)

PQ 07-31-2011 01:34 AM

AAC sidemarker lights.......sealed mine.....Video

This is what I did.

The water actually was probably getting in on the corners of the lights and not on the connector more likely. I'd seal them both just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8XQ8B6QAs

ZNOLMT 07-31-2011 01:47 AM

Is water build-up typical of these side markers? Because I was thinking of getting these.

PQ 07-31-2011 02:10 AM

It's been an issue with some. But AAC has taken good care. Just a pita to have to go through. It's really easy to just run a bean of sealer on them.

GB EB 07-31-2011 09:13 AM

OK... I like it... but.... does it void the warranty......

I've got one being replaced under warranty right now for that exact issue...

If I can save the "pita" of sending the next one in when it fails.... It would make me happy.

(ps... maybe you should put an application in at AAC!)

mikepage0007 07-31-2011 09:28 AM

i have 1 that has multiple burnouts within a month old..aac was quik to send me a warranty claim and i will send back...but i noticed that moisture got inside this 1 and within 24 hrs, led was burned out..could be a coicidnce..but i don,t believe it was...if aac can somehow fix this problem , there time spent handling these claims would dimenish...i have not really looked into where it may leak ..but might pull light today and check out, since its being returned..

The Stig 07-31-2011 09:44 AM

I think its so weird that people keep having issues with these. I've had mine for almost a year and they've been perfect.

GB EB 07-31-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3545954)
I think its so weird that people keep having issues with these. I've had mine for almost a year and they've been perfect.

buy a lotto ticket:)

CyberDan 07-31-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3545954)

You're just one of the lucky ones... I'm on my third set... And I too noticed the seal around the socket as being the weak link. I plastidipped the back sides of the marker, hopefully that does the trick.

mikepage0007 07-31-2011 11:49 AM

i thought i just had moisture, when removing the 1 , it had at least a spoonful of water in it.. def leaking around the seams...reason i say this ....with bulb still in i could shake /flick light assy in my hand and would get 3-4 drops from corner of light...not from bulb area...did this for 5 minutes and water still came out from same area...not back of light assy where bulb installs..that was dry as bone... imo.. but will seal everything on the next one.

PQ 07-31-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS (Post 3545850)

:iono: I didn't think about it. I don't see why it should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepage0007 (Post 3546347)
i thought i just had moisture, when removing the 1 , it had at least a spoonful of water in it.. def leaking around the seams...reason i say this ....with bulb still in i could shake /flick light assy in my hand and would get 3-4 drops from corner of light...not from bulb area...did this for 5 minutes and water still came out from same area...not back of light assy where bulb installs..that was dry as bone... imo.. but will seal everything on the next one.

I did notice that the very corner had little to no sealant. Could swear I could see all the way into the inner chamber. I ran a bead all the way around.

CamaroDreams07 07-31-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS (Post 3545850)

I've got one being replaced under warranty right now for that exact issue...

If I can save the "pita" of sending the next one in when it fails.... It would make me happy.

(ps... maybe you should put an application in at AAC!)

:sm0: Epic. I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just don't see why the consumer should have to jerry-rig a $$top dollar$$ product just to make it functional. AAC should re-market these as color-matched sea monkey tanks. Badly painted, bubbly sea monkey tanks.

PQ 07-31-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 3547116)
:sm0: Epic. I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just don't see why the consumer should have to jerry-rig a $$top dollar$$ product just to make it functional. AAC should re-market these as color-matched sea monkey tanks. Badly painted, bubbly sea monkey tanks.

I won't argue with that.

And, Mike, I just looked REALLY closely at the two bad lights and they both have voids straight to the indside. Both had a ton of water in them. The very corners are where they were not sealed that well.

mikepage0007 07-31-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3547149)
I won't argue with that.

And, Mike, I just looked REALLY closely at the two bad lights and they both have voids straight to the indside. Both had a ton of water in them. The very corners are where they were not sealed that well.

thats what i was thinking...some clear non latex silicon would be the best sealant..i would use some blue painters tape and tape out light real good just to make sure it don,t get on finished area

PQ 07-31-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepage0007 (Post 3547368)
thats what i was thinking...some clear non latex silicon would be the best sealant..i would use some blue painters tape and tape out light real good just to make sure it don,t get on finished area

Damn. Non-Latex? :(

Crap. Do I need to peel it off and redo it?