Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Camaro 1ls vs. Cruze 2lt (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257572)

Stack4 10-25-2012 02:43 PM

Camaro 1ls vs. Cruze 2lt

I'll start off by saying that I'm 15 years old and turning 16 a little after Christmas. So for my birthday/Christmas present, my mom wants to get me a Cruze 2lt. But I'm trying to persuade her into a 1ls (my dad's already on board). The thing about the 1ls is that my dad and I absolutely hate the wheels. Looking around the classifieds earlier, I saw a set of nice wheels for $700. How much do you think insurance would be for a 16 year old with a Camaro?

meissen 10-25-2012 02:45 PM

Congrats on getting a car for a birthday/Christmas present. You'll probably get a lot of flack on here from jealous/envious folks, so be prepared.

I have a 2012 1LS and honestly I don't think the steelies are that bad... If it were between the Cruze 2LT and the Camaro 1LS, I'd still go with the Camaro. One perk to point out is the new Camaros are 5 star crash rated so you'd be safe in them.

BowtieBelle 10-25-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stack4 (Post 5736721)
I'll start off by saying that I'm 15 years old and turning 16 a little after Christmas. So for my birthday/Christmas present, my mom wants to get me a Cruze 2lt. But I'm trying to persuade her into a 1ls (my dad's already on board). The thing about the 1ls is that my dad and I absolutely hate the wheels. Looking around the classifieds earlier, I saw a set of nice wheels for $700. How much do you think insurance would be for a 16 year old with a Camaro?

Ummm.... insurance for a 16 year old with a Camaro will be through the roof. Over $2,000 a year, easily, are the numbers I've been told by high-school kids with Camaro LT's. Get an SS and that number could double :yikes:

Dacannon 10-25-2012 02:47 PM

Insurance alone will be enough to worry about get the Cruze.

Stack4 10-25-2012 02:50 PM

@Meissen Thanks. I would be completely fine with the wheels on the ls Camaros, but I really like the 1lt wheels on the camaro.
@BowtieBelle That's what my parents are worried about...

Couldn't I be the main driver on a different vehicle of ours, then have cheaper insurance?

meissen 10-25-2012 02:51 PM

I'm sure the situations are 100% dependent on state laws and regulations, but here in Michigan the insurance agents my family always used said that I could be added to the policy but I didn't have to be placed as a primary driver on any of the vehicles. I got my 1994 Camaro when I was 16 (I paid for it, though) and that way I could drive the camaro fully insured and not have any hassles. See if your parent's insurance company would be willing to work the same deal out to get a lower rate. At first I think we put me on as the primary driver on one of the other vehicles, and that's when the insurance agent said not to put me as the primary driver on any of the vehicles but just add me to the policy in general, that way the premiums weren't as high.

GaBoy25 10-25-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stack4 (Post 5736721)

I would advise getting insurance in your parents name.

Stud 10-25-2012 02:52 PM

The camaro is soooo much cooler than the cruze. Make sure you prove to your parents you can handle the camaro.

In my case, insurance for a honda civic was the same as my 2012 1lt. But in either case, it was still expensive because I was 16.

meissen 10-25-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBoy25 (Post 5736761)
I would advise getting insurance in your parents name.

Just curious but why? I'm 26 and still share the insurance policy with my parents and I just pay them for my vehicles. They get a fleet discount with the number of vehicles between us so it's always worked out great.

BowtieBelle 10-25-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stack4 (Post 5736752)
@Meissen Thanks. I would be completely fine with the wheels on the ls Camaros, but I really like the 1lt wheels on the camaro.
@BowtieBelle That's what my parents are worried about...

Couldn't I be the main driver on a different vehicle of ours, then have cheaper insurance?

You could be primary driver on a different vehicle, sure, that's one way to do it, but get in one wreck or get one ticket in that Camaro and the policy will go through the roof. And the fact that you'll still be a listed driver on the Camaro will still make the policy premium high (I only say this because I work for a law firm that deals exclusively with car insurance companies, and I know it). Adding a sixteen year old to an insurance policy makes it go up substantially even if the cars on the policy are an SUV and a minivan :laugh:

Good luck, though! Hope you can find a way to get your Camaro :)

meissen 10-25-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieBelle (Post 5736767)
You could be primary driver on a different vehicle, sure, that's one way to do it, but get in one wreck or get one ticket in that Camaro and the policy will go through the roof. And the fact that you'll still be a listed driver on the Camaro will still make the policy premium high (I only say this because I work for a law firm that deals exclusively with car insurance companies, and I know it).

Good luck, though! Hope you can find a way to get your Camaro :)

I must have lucked out - I got in two accidents (first one was written on the report as being my fault, but I was not ticketed because the other person involved agreed that another car pulled out infront of me causing me to hydroplane and hit her, other accident was not my fault and the other driver was ticketed) and we had slight increases but nothing astronomical and they had no qualms with the fact that my mom was listed as the primary driver on the vehicle. :laugh:

BowtieBelle 10-25-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meissen (Post 5736774)
I must have lucked out - I got in two accidents (first one was written on the report as being my fault, but I was not ticketed because the other person involved agreed that another car pulled out infront of me causing me to hydroplane and hit her, other accident was not my fault and the other driver was ticketed) and we had slight increases but nothing astronomical and they had no qualms with the fact that my mom was listed as the primary driver on the vehicle. :laugh:

Not necessarily lucked out, but with the skyrocketing use of cell phones in the last five-six years, premiums for policyholders with teenagers have skyrocketed. When I was younger, before cell phones were a huge issue, our insurance wasn't too bad, even with a couple of wrecks. Now I have a couple of friends with teenagers and all they do is complain about the cost of insuring their kids.

Insurance companies make a fortune off the young ones, that's for sure.

Stack4 10-25-2012 02:57 PM

Thanks for your comments everyone. My cousin who had a Cobalt SS was the primary driver on his family's Silverado, which saved them money. So even if the insurance companies didn't know who drove what in your family, having a fast car would make the insurance higher for a teenager?

doubletap407 10-25-2012 03:03 PM

If you get the Camaro wheelsnext.com you can get wheels at a really good price to replace the steelies ! I did !