Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What is the real Service Interval (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56073)

Verio 12-11-2009 06:31 AM

What is the real Service Interval

So, I got my first oil change around 2500 miles. However, I just received an email from that same dealer saying I'm nearing my 6,000 mile service interval.

Is this even accurate?
What is the REAL service interval, that I need to go in, to be compliant with my Warranty?

Please do not post opinions on how often oil changes should be done, or what your own personal service interval is. I would just like to know what GM considers the service interval to be.

I tried reading the Service manual, and it states something about Service I and Service II based upon when my DIC tells me to get my oil change. Is that what I'm looking for?

Scott@Bjorn3D 12-11-2009 07:15 AM

tough call, onstar is telling me that I have 95% oil life left. I changed it at 8500 I think and I am at 9500 now.. They say change it again at 16,000.

Now my dealer wants to do it every 3-months or 5k miles.

DangerZL1 12-11-2009 11:20 AM

The dealer just sends out reminders on their 6000 mile guideline for all cars as advertising. They aren't considering the DIC calculated service interval. I'd just change it based on the DIC or your own preferred schedule.

Verio 12-11-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerouSS (Post 1273113)
The dealer just sends out reminders on their 6000 mile guideline for all cars as advertising. They aren't considering the DIC calculated service interval. I'd just change it based on the DIC or your own preferred schedule.

Not really the answer I was looking for... but thank you :) I guess the root of the issue is, every car I've driven has a prescribed maintenance schedule. For example, my wife's Mistubishi, I know EXACTLY when to bring it in for maintenance.

dwebster 12-11-2009 03:59 PM

Check with the dealer you plan on using to get regular service maintenance completed. Although they may not have exact 2010 Camaro specs, they should be able to prescribe a maintenance schedule. 7500/15000/30000 etc...My guess is it will be similar to Corvette for filter changes, wipers, etc. They should have that one at least

Dakota Kid 12-11-2009 04:09 PM

Is there no service interval plan in teh owners manual?

OUR72GTO 12-11-2009 04:17 PM

There always has been.

NAHURRY 12-11-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Kid (Post 1274149)
Is there no service interval plan in teh owners manual?

Fairly sure they are...I'm Just too lazy to look for it rite now.

Angrybird 12 12-11-2009 04:28 PM

dealerships always go by Worst Case, not by real world driving.. they are there to make money, it makes sense to them to send you notices at the minimum intervals for every maintenance task hoping you will bring it in and let them perform hundreds of dollars worth of usless maintenance, using up vital resources in their quest to make money off of uneducated owners...

if you do resonable maintenance on your car (usually double what the dealer recommends time wise), you will not be doing any harm and save yourself a ton of money in the meantime...

If you are very hard on your car you should follow the dealer recommendations, but under normal use it is overkill,,,

Just my opinion, but I have never had a maintenance related failure...

OUR72GTO 12-12-2009 02:41 AM

What he said...........

Davis 12-15-2009 03:06 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but, this is what the manual states:

When the Change Engine Oil Soon message displays, service is required for the vehicle as soon as possible, within the next 1,000 km/600 miles. If driving under the best conditions, the engine oil life system might not indicate the need for vehicle service for more than a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the oil life system must be reset.

Hope this helps.

Verio 12-17-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davis (Post 1287329)
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but, this is what the manual states:

When the Change Engine Oil Soon message displays, service is required for the vehicle as soon as possible, within the next 1,000 km/600 miles. If driving under the best conditions, the engine oil life system might not indicate the need for vehicle service for more than a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the oil life system must be reset.

Hope this helps.

This is what I wanted. Thank you.

SleepWarz 12-17-2009 02:41 PM

about every 3 k miles I'll do my oil.

Once a year or longer for tranny/dif.

Snidely Whiplash 12-27-2013 10:42 AM

My 2014 2SS Camaro came with a 2 year service package. If they want to service it for free, they can have at it. I WILL change the oil at 500 just to be safe. I like prevention maintenance on new motors.