Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Autocross? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314430)

nelsont 08-22-2013 08:50 AM

Autocross?

there's a local Club hosting a Autocross event in Sept.
A coworker has invited me to bring my Camaro out. 2011-2LT RS Convertible.
My question is has any of you run your Camaro thru one of these courses before or regularly?
She's my baby and am struggling with the decision to do it or not. I know its a sports car, just spending $30000 to abuse her isnt sitting well with me.:confused0068:

Tim

TX_ED_SS 08-22-2013 09:09 AM

There is a whole section on the forums dedicated to this. Many people autocross on a regular basis and don't consider it abuse. They call it driving their car to its full potential. You should try it once and get a better appreciation for the sport.

the_fast_one 08-22-2013 09:25 AM

It's a blast
So are track day events

skipinminn 08-22-2013 09:29 AM

I did it at C5fest and loved it :) Really makes driving the car FUN.

usnatclee 08-22-2013 09:33 AM

I have done it a lot. Trust me your not going to destroy your car. Your tires however will wear quicker. If you're worried about scuffs from the cones (usually pretty easy to wipe off with cleaner wax) then tape off the bottom half of your front bumper, behind your front and rear tires, and rocker panels using painters tape. If you do it HAVE FUN, it is a blast.

heRS 08-22-2013 09:38 AM

I gave it a try out at the Sturgis Camaro Rally. It was fun, but I don't think I'll take it up as a hobby.

MikeSVX 08-22-2013 09:48 AM

Beware of cone scuffs. lol. They can be buffed out easy enough, but just be prepared to get them. If you clip one of the rubber cones it will leave a mark. I recommend getting some blue painters tape. Put it on all four corners of your car and on the rear quarter, infront of the wheels. The tape will reduce the chances of getting the scuffs. The front bump and just in front of the tires is the area that you usually get them. I said put them on the rear corners, because if you take a corner too quick and the rear slides out on you, the rear corner could catch a cone too.

Oh, and autocross is a blast. I haven't done it in my Camaro, but I did it in my old subaru and in a Sentra Spec-V that I had.

Also, find out about the rules for a convertible. Some organizations may require you to have a rollbar.

Johnny@MTI 08-22-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSVX (Post 6927949)
Beware of cone scuffs. lol. They can be buffed out easy enough, but just be prepared to get them. If you clip one of the rubber cones it will leave a mark. I recommend getting some blue painters tape. Put it on all four corners of your car and on the rear quarter, infront of the wheels. The tape will reduce the chances of getting the scuffs. The front bump and just in front of the tires is the area that you usually get them. I said put them on the rear corners, because if you take a corner too quick and the rear slides out on you, the rear corner could catch a cone too.

Oh, and autocross is a blast. I haven't done it in my Camaro, but I did it in my old subaru and in a Sentra Spec-V that I had.

Also, find out about the rules for a convertible. Some organizations may require you to have a rollbar.

or you can go as a blue tape monster... :thumbsup:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...interstape.jpg

RubyCamaro 08-22-2013 10:44 AM

It really is a lot of fun if it is something you want to do. As others have said, use painter's tape & some common sense. Take it slow the first few times around & gradually increase your speed. Many events will allow you to have someone who is experienced ride with you to help you learn the first few laps. Just don't drive outside your comfort level of controling the car. Don't try to get the best speed on your first event & for goodness sake if you get off course. get off the gas! (Yeah, I know that is common sense, but the worst accidents I have seen the person did not do it). Make whatever choice you are comfortable with. It is your car. No shame in that. Many folks with more experience than I can give you better tips, but from a novice who did it for the first time at the Fest, that is my 2 cents. I had a blast but have no shame in admitting my best time was the worst one for anyone in the event. I was not trying to get the best time, just to learn & keep my car intact. BTW I only hit one cone on one lap & have not noticed any damage (without any tape).

nelsont 08-22-2013 11:05 AM

I'm in!

Ok guys and gals, thanks for your input.

I signed up! Figure I wont know till I try it.

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

Tim

MikeSVX 08-22-2013 11:06 AM

And always walk the course at least two times. They usually allow this. Usually they will do and ameture group walk through with an instructor. If they do, make sure you get in with the group. You can pick up some good tips. While walking through, pay attention to the surface and how the corners are layed out. Look for things that could upset the car while cornering, such as sand or gravel, or dips and bumps. Think about how you want to approach each corner, but most of all pay attention to where you need to be going. Sometimes its easy to get confused and end up going the wrong way. The only other thing I can think of to recommend is always look a corner ahead. If your focusing on the cones that your passing, your not setting yourself up for the next corner.

I like to pretend I'm in my car and walk the course in the same line that I want my body to travel when I'm sitting in the seat.

BaylorCamaro 08-22-2013 12:21 PM

After I did my first autocross I was hooked. Here is a video from my old 2010 V6 (Super Charged). I'm itching to autocross with my ZL1 now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNl84ZUzZTE

woodside783 08-22-2013 12:29 PM

DO IT!!!!!!!!! Just go slow take your time till you feel it then go have fun. They are a blast. Just try and beat your own time not anyone else.

JDP Sales 08-22-2013 12:42 PM

Autocross is an awesome sport and very affordable when compared to road racing. The posters above me have offered some very good advise; especially MikeSVX. His post is almost word for word what I was going to say! :thumb:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007