Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   White House says auto loans deal not imminent (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10604)

camaro5 12-14-2008 06:54 PM

White House says auto loans deal not imminent

Quote:

AP
White House says auto loans deal not imminent
Sunday December 14, 10:25 am ET
White House officials say no announcement expected on plans to aid troubling auto industry

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Don't expect an announcement Sunday or Monday from the White House on a possible plan to prevent the collapse of the troubled auto industry. That's the latest word from White House officials.
The Bush administration is considering ways to provide emergency aid to General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC. Those two car companies have said they could run out of cash within weeks without government help.

Last week, Congress failed to approve $14 billion in loans to help the automakers. That's when Bush officials said they were considering several options, including using money from the $700 billion financial bailout fund to provide loans to the carmakers.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081214/meltdown_autos.html

Mr. Wyndham 12-14-2008 07:16 PM

And this is exactly why we need to send notes to the White House. It's our tax money, they better damn well do what we want with it!!

Zabo 12-14-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 216968)
And this is exactly why we need to send notes to the White House. It's our tax money, they better damn well do what we want with it!!

You think they actually read those? If it's not form a foreign dignitary or something concerning a manner of national security; the White House will not touch it.

The tanking economy apparently doesn't qualify as a national security issue..so all is well. We still have Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Chengdu..oh wai-

Mr. Wyndham 12-14-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zabo (Post 216983)
You think they actually read those? If it's not form a foreign dignitary or something concerning a manner of national security; the White House will not touch it.

I get your point, and realistically no...they probably don't read them all. But it doesn't matter. Failing to do something or even attempt to make your voice heard is the day democracy dies...voting isn't enough.

stovt001 12-15-2008 01:41 AM

I still get the impression they'll act very soon. It will happen. They don't want a full blow economic implosion to define the administration's last few weeks in office.

HeatherR 12-15-2008 01:59 AM

I called the White House number that CamaroScotty posted (and sent an email) and I talked to two actaul people who asked what my concern was and they had me record a message--no one may ever listen to it, but you never know. They will see a volume of emails even if they don't take time to read them! Not sending one email because you don't think it will matter is the same as not voting and saying your one vote does not count!

DGthe3 12-15-2008 10:27 AM

They care more about the subject line in those emails than anything else. It lets them gauge public reaction.

Hylton 12-15-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 217193)
I still get the impression they'll act very soon. It will happen. They don't want a full blow economic implosion to define the administration's last few weeks in office.

I don't. The White House seems to be dragging this out. Something is going on or it would have been a done deal already.

Mr. Wyndham 12-15-2008 11:20 AM

http://www.freep.com/article/2008121...380/1014/rss13

Quote:

As the White House and Detroit's automakers continued working together on a new rescue plan over the weekend, following the collapse last week of the $14-billion lifeline for General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, President George W. Bush hinted Sunday that a new deal was not far from being reached.

The White House said an announcement is still not expected today, but Bush reassured reporters aboard Air Force One during a previously unannounced trip to Iraq and Afghanistan: "This will not be a long process because of the economic fragility of the autos."
:iono:

Camaro_Corvette 12-15-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 217193)

:word:

:threadjacked:
Quote:

That really hurt! I'm gonna have a lump there, you idiot! Who throws a shoe? Honestly! You fight like a woman!
:popcorn:

Hylton 12-15-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 217396)

That's the comment I saw and I thought "why the heck would he say that after saying he would help out last week?". Let's just get the lifeline out and then spend the next 3 months working things out.

DGthe3 12-15-2008 11:44 AM

Governments aren't used to acting fast. Getting anything accomplished in a 1 month timeframe is extremely good for them. A matter of days, over a weekend is nearly impossible for them. Hopefully something concrete will be announced this week.