Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   foam gun procedure? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103639)

rd-camaro 09-01-2010 12:37 PM

foam gun procedure?

can somebody please tell me the foam gun procedure?

i keep seeing people rinse the car, then foam the car, then right away start scrubbing with a pad or mitt...this doesnt make sense to me...the foam gun is used to break up and loosen the dirt/film on the paint...so the dirt is floating around in the foam when it is loosened up right? why would you go ahead and starting scrubbing the car with the dirt mixed with the foam? wouldnt it be better the rinse the foam off the car then use the 2 bucket method? wouldnt this avoid swirls better? and yes i have watch the junkmans videos and have detailed my car many many times using adams polishes and junkmans methods....

thanks

DetailAddict 09-01-2010 01:40 PM

i usually start with the wheels and tires first
then pressure wash off dirt, bird dropping, etc
then foam (including wheels/tires again)
then dual bucket wash
then low pressure rinse

the key for me is that i use pressure washer to rinse off prior to foam

rd-camaro 09-01-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetailAddict (Post 2286037)
i usually start with the wheels and tires first
then pressure wash off dirt, bird dropping, etc
then foam (including wheels/tires again)
then dual bucket wash
then low pressure rinse

the key for me is that i use pressure washer to rinse off prior to foam

right i understand the 'whole' car washing process...my question is do you rinse the foam off before the 2 bucket method? or leave the foam on the car during the 2 bucket method?

KeepItGreasey 09-01-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd-camaro (Post 2285807)
can somebody please tell me the foam gun procedure?

i keep seeing people rinse the car, then foam the car, then right away start scrubbing with a pad or mitt...this doesnt make sense to me...the foam gun is used to break up and loosen the dirt/film on the paint...so the dirt is floating around in the foam when it is loosened up right? why would you go ahead and starting scrubbing the car with the dirt mixed with the foam? wouldnt it be better the rinse the foam off the car then use the 2 bucket method? wouldnt this avoid swirls better? and yes i have watch the junkmans videos and have detailed my car many many times using adams polishes and junkmans methods....

thanks

the dirt isn't "floating around in the foam"... the scum is loosened and "lubricated" by the foam...

you better watch those Junkman videos again. they made perfect sense the first time i watched them.

KeepItGreasey 09-01-2010 01:49 PM

spray off the car, getting it completely soaked and rinsing off all the loose dirt

then foam

then two bucket method, and rinse

then pool the beaded water and let it run off

then dab the wet spots dry

rd-camaro 09-01-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey (Post 2286069)
spray off the car, getting it completely soaked and rinsing off all the loose dirt

then foam

then two bucket method, and rinse

then pool the beaded water and let it run off

then dab the wet spots dry

after pooling the water off i usually spray the whole car with detail spray and then wipe it down using the MF white drying towel...

KeepItGreasey 09-01-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd-camaro (Post 2286095)
after pooling the water off i usually spray the whole car with detail spray and then wipe it down using the MF white drying towel...

when in doubt, refer to the Junkman aka Grady

Gramps 09-01-2010 02:06 PM

I'm totally against spraying the whole car with detail spray...then wiping it off. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever (yeah the people selling the stuff say it makes the drying process easier). It doesn't in my view. I've tried it several times, and each time I kick myself in the ass after-wards saying "why in the world did I do that"? No thanks...I will stick with drying the car (after I rinse with open nozzle water stream) using a good leaf blower...then dabbing the few remaining droplets with a double-weeve drying towel. There is NO wiping involved...I mean NONE.

DetailAddict 09-01-2010 02:54 PM

i leave the foam and not rinse before the dual bucket wash because the pressure washer rinse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd-camaro (Post 2286059)
right i understand the 'whole' car washing process...my question is do you rinse the foam off before the 2 bucket method? or leave the foam on the car during the 2 bucket method?

rd-camaro 09-01-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 2286135)
I'm totally against spraying the whole car with detail spray...then wiping it off. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever (yeah the people selling the stuff say it makes the drying process easier). It doesn't in my view. I've tried it several times, and each time I kick myself in the ass after-wards saying "why in the world did I do that"? No thanks...I will stick with drying the car (after I rinse with open nozzle water stream) using a good leaf blower...then dabbing the few remaining droplets with a double-weeve drying towel. There is NO wiping involved...I mean NONE.

so you pretty much dry your whole car off using the leaf blower? how long does that take? you dont manage to get water stream marks anywhere?

oachalon 09-01-2010 04:01 PM

RD-Camaro, i leaf blow my whole car. It takes my 7-8 min to dry the whole car. I might have 1 or 2 spots i didnt get in time that leave a slight water spot. 1 quick spray of the detail spray and im done.

rd-camaro 09-01-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oachalon (Post 2286515)
RD-Camaro, i leaf blow my whole car. It takes my 7-8 min to dry the whole car. I might have 1 or 2 spots i didnt get in time that leave a slight water spot. 1 quick spray of the detail spray and im done.

I think I'm going to try it and see what happens. What is your mph rating on your leaf blower? You detail spray the whole car after drying or just the spots you missed?

2LTRS 09-01-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 2286135)

A) Who said anything about using DS to dry the car?

B) Do you wear a tin foil cap too? Is everything a conspiracy theory to sell product?

To the OP -

I like to foam the car twice -
Rinse to release the heavy dirt and grit
1st Foam down - let dwell (5 min or so) and lift dirt (re-fill your foam gun)
Rinse foam and grit - again to get rid of all the heavy stuff
2nd foam down - and on to the two bucket method.

EDIT:
Is the second foam down necessary? Not really - I do it purely for extra lubrication between the wash mitt and clear coat.

Blacknight11 09-01-2010 10:23 PM

Foam spray gun

Where can I get a foam spray gun. I ordered a few products from Adams but they did not have any foan spray guns left.