Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Aeromotive fuel system issues (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303402)

pyr0b0y 06-22-2013 04:39 PM

Aeromotive fuel system issues

Still having issues with the Aeromotive eliminator system after it being installed over a year. I've been on the phone with Aeromotive for hours, and even paid them an unannounced visit all the way in Kansas. They do not have any idea what is going on, and the marketing director even said he would but a Squash system on my car over an Aeromotive system. They recommended that I just put in a fuel cell to fix the problem....These are the issues I'm seeing:

Running full system with speed controller hooked up to a vacuum switch rather than the tach adapter.

The car will shut it self off at idle (because the controller goes into fault mode)

We checked the voltage to the controller and it is constantly above 14V even at idle. If we turn the key to aux and let the pump run without the car on, it never shuts off, only happens when the car is turned on. We cut out the vacuum switch and hooked it up, and it runs fine, except the pump is running at a 100% duty cycle.

We are thinking the vacuum switch might be bad, but i had replaced the vacuum switch, the pump itself, the controller, replaced ALL of the wiring and checked voltage on multiple places on the car.

I asked Aeromotive about the vacuum switch and if it is big enough to be able to read the vacuum. This is the part number they gave me:

Digikey Corp
480-2060-ND

Operating Pressure 0.04 ~ 0.79 PSI, 1.1 ~ 22" H20
Port Size Male, 1/8" (3.175mm) 27 NPT
Output SPST-NC
Voltage - Supply 120VAC

I think that the operating presure might not be enough for the amount of pressure that I have.

I'm running a 418ci ls3 with twin turbo gt35Rs and am at 10lbs of boost

Any ideas or suggestions would help. I really do not want to pull out my currect system.....

BullF-16 06-22-2013 07:33 PM

Sorry to hear your problems. I have a brand new eliminator pump and 2 brand new speed controllers in my attic. We had issues after my HKE 427 install and thought it was the Aeromotive stuff. So i ordered the Squash setup. Turns out the issue was not the fuel system but the parameters in the tune dealing with throttle pedal to throttle body/blade settings. So it wasnt the Aeromotive stuff.

Oh well, still glad as hell i have the Squash in my car. Been flawless and is WAY quieter

lexlueger 06-22-2013 07:45 PM

My recommendation would be to cut your losses. I did. Went with the squash system and haven't looked back. Nobody at Aeromotive could give me a solution to the issues I was having.

SSE 4 2SS 06-22-2013 09:32 PM

I also have an aero motive paper weight... Went back to the lingenfelter duals in tank and a Weldon external from the cell to the rails via a boost sense regulator... Hella lot'a money to not work...

SRT10KLLR 06-23-2013 01:41 AM

Squash ftw. Call Andy and tell him to hook you up with one of his twin pump units. :bow:

You can still use your existing lines regulator etc. Just replace their pumps with his.

blake-b 06-23-2013 02:07 AM

I heart Squash. Well worth going to it. I have had it in my car since Aug 2012 with ZERO issues.

pyr0b0y 06-23-2013 09:56 AM

I've been thinking Squash, but am hesitant just because of all the money ive dumped into troubleshooting the system. For the Squash system, it looks like $800 and I would reuse my Aeromotive Eliminator pump? Does it not have a controller at all? It looks like it only uses a pressure switch?

blake-b 06-23-2013 02:27 PM

The Squash setup is twin pumps 400lph or 450lph (e85 version) in stock fuel bucket. There is no controller. I am running a return style system that uses a regulator and Hobbs switches. Andy is getting ready to debut a returnless system called the Uber Fueler that does everything the current setup does minus the return lines and regulator and is good over 1000hp+.

You would take out the eliminator setup, get rid of the controller, put in the Squash, tune out the FPCM, wire it up and go.

pyr0b0y 06-23-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake-b (Post 6704976)
The Squash setup is twin pumps 400lph or 450lph (e85 version) in stock fuel bucket. There is no controller. I am running a return style system that uses a regulator and Hobbs switches. Andy is getting ready to debut a returnless system called the Uber Fueler that does everything the current setup does minus the return lines and regulator and is good over 1000hp+.

You would take out the eliminator setup, get rid of the controller, put in the Squash, tune out the FPCM, wire it up and go.

Any pics?

Wish I would have posted this a week earlier! I was just in KCMO last week! Also stopped by IPS since they've worked with Aeromotive quite a bit.

SRT10KLLR 06-23-2013 02:52 PM

You would replace the Eliminator pump with the Squash twin in-tank pumps. You should already have the FPCM disabled with your current system. ou can keep the existing AN lines and regulator.

You can sell you pump to make some $$$ back.

I Andy's stuff on a couple of trucks and they have been great. I just received another one from him yesterday that I am putting on the Silverado cause I was running out of fuel with the spray.

blake-b 06-23-2013 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What, exactly, do you want pics of? Upper left corner is the regulator. The Hobbs switch is in the upper right corner. If you can follow the line going over the brake reservoir and see the blue fitting, the Hobbs switch is the silver piece next to it. It comes out the opposite side of my vacuum log. If this isn't what you wanted pics of, let me know.

camarostar2010 06-23-2013 04:27 PM

After speaking with pyro, and seeing a few other posts like this i Will never user aero for fueling my car. If it aint twin walboro pumps, I dont even want to hear it.

IPS Brandon 06-25-2013 07:27 AM

Thanks for stopping by our shop!

Hopefully you can solve the riddle in your fuel system.

pyr0b0y 06-25-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPS Brandon (Post 6712625)
Thanks for stopping by our shop!

Hopefully you can solve the riddle in your fuel system.

Thanks for the help and suggestions; you guys really know your stuff !

quincy speeder 06-25-2013 08:01 PM

Aeromotive has had problem pumps forever. It will be blamed on too small of wire, voltage ect but in the end there pumps are junk. Not made for street cars.

This has been going on for atleast the 10 years I've been into these cars.

IPS Brandon 06-27-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quincy speeder (Post 6715590)
Aeromotive has had problem pumps forever. It will be blamed on too small of wire, voltage ect but in the end there pumps are junk. Not made for street cars.

This has been going on for atleast the 10 years I've been into these cars.

Aeromotive has not been making stealth hats for ten years....

Everything has to be installed very precisely and use the proper supplemental parts to make their systems work. Its not just as simple as drop it in, power ground, and you're off. Their pumps are not junk, their products and engineering is not junk...If it was they would not be around.

We have used these systems in over 12-15 applications in Camaros alone (we have used lots in corvettes as well and other applications) making all north of 800 horsepower up to 1400...No vapor lock, no dead pumps, no problems. No Voltage problems. :grouphug:

There are many options in the market for fueling high output engines, some are better then others, work with a trusted proven shop and I am certain you can find a proper solution for the application.

realsquash 06-27-2013 10:44 AM

Many sponsors on the board here carry the Squash fuel system for the Camaro. We have no issues daily driving, drag racing, road racing, etc with it. I guarantee you would be happy with it...

Andy

blake-b 06-29-2013 01:41 PM

Did you get it figured out? good controller makes the Aeromotive pumps work just fine. Dave Steck builds one that works.

pyr0b0y 06-29-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake-b (Post 6731977)
Did you get it figured out? good controller makes the Aeromotive pumps work just fine. Dave Steck builds one that works.

I have one on order and it should arrive next week. My car is stuck in Vegas because it is not drivable. Its getting shipped on Monday and should be back to me on Tuesday. I really hope my car is running this weekend!

Clinc 06-30-2013 05:15 PM

They should have a solution for that problem. I USE to run the eliminator, them the upgraded to the pro pump. I'm local to aeromitive and took the car to there facility so they could test out some of the issues they were having. I was burning up pumps in a matter of days. They finly came up with a solution to the voltage problem and the burning up of pumps issue. By that time I was burnt on them and went with the squash. And since then put a fuel cell in the trunk. Dont recommend doing the fuel cell, I'm in the process of putting stock tank back in and running the squash setup again. Give Andy a call he will treat u right and his setup is great!

walkermuffler 07-04-2013 11:52 AM

I bought the fuel cell with elim pump built in ,,,,,, well nothing but problems and sent pump back 3 times and never fixed the problem . this was a 700 dollar piece of crap ! take a loss and step up to a better pump I bought a Weldon pump !

Frans96ss 07-12-2013 01:51 PM

We are having a similar problem. Car will start and run fine after i flash it and some times for weeks on end... Then all of the sudden will fire up then die... Let it sit for 20-30 mins and it will fire up and run perfect... Same issues you guys were having?