Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How can I make my v6 Camaro faster (0-60) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53068)

alnajjd 11-20-2009 04:03 PM

How can I make my v6 Camaro faster (0-60)

Mainly looking to increase 0-60 time. I hear that its not the hp thats making it 6 seconds, its that it doesnt have enough torque. What do you suggest I do to make it faster? .Thanks and sorry if this question has already been answered.

I will post pics when it gets delivered tomorrow (between 9am-2pm)

scrming 11-20-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1197169)
Mainly looking to increase 0-60 time. I hear that its not the hp thats making it 6 seconds, its that it doesnt have enough torque. What do you suggest I do to make it faster? .Thanks and sorry if this question has already been answered.

Not a whole lot of options out there... Biggest increase you can get right now is the Zex Nitrous Oxide kit!! WOOHOO!!

I picked up a fairly nice mid-range gain with my MRT axle back and then a bit more with my stand alone IAT (Inlet Air temp) mod... Stock my car was consistently 6.0 in the 0-60 using my dashhawk... Now down to 5.44 in the 0-60...

Looking forward to seeing your pics! And welcome to Camaro5!!

mrray13 11-20-2009 04:56 PM

JBA shorties might help, that's what I'm hoping for. Well, I'm sure the potential for added sound and loss of weight might help too!!

brAnd7onX 11-20-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1197251)
Not a whole lot of options out there... Biggest increase you can get right now is the Zex Nitrous Oxide kit!! WOOHOO!!

I picked up a fairly nice mid-range gain with my MRT axle back and then a bit more with my stand alone IAT (Inlet Air temp) mod... Stock my car was consistently 6.0 in the 0-60 using my dashhawk... Now down to 5.44 in the 0-60...

Looking forward to seeing your pics! And welcome to Camaro5!!

How much is an IAT and is there a link to one?? Thanks!

devildoc 11-20-2009 05:08 PM

The link for scrming's stand alone IAT is http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43367 I would utilize that.

CAM MAN 11-20-2009 05:09 PM

Cold air Kit helps a little bit.

mrray13 11-20-2009 05:09 PM

The IAT, in my area, is about a $52 trick. I'll be doing it here shortly!

Angrybird 12 11-20-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1197169)

Congratulations,
Well You could put one of those really high wings on the back.... oh that only works on Ricers and wanna be ricers..

Seriously, headers, low restriction exhaust, cold air intake... for starters, there are many ways to increase power to increase 0-60 times... first ask yourself, How fast do I want to get there? and then, How much money do I want to spend?

alnajjd 11-20-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman 08 (Post 1197481)
Congratulations,
Well You could put one of those really high wings on the back.... oh that only works on Ricers and wanna be ricers..

Seriously, headers, low restriction exhaust, cold air intake... for starters, there are many ways to increase power to increase 0-60 times... first ask yourself, How fast do I want to get there? and then, How much money do I want to spend?

Well I really want to get it to 5, I can spend 800 this month and 500 next month and 300-400 every month after that. Also I don't know much about tuning cars, so I would probably have to learn, or take it to a shop. If those two mods that scrming suggested bring it down to 5.44 i would be schyed. I really didnt think that 2 mods could cut .6 off 0-60.

Angrybird 12 11-20-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1197511)
Well I really want to get it to 5, I can spend 800 this month and 500 next month and 300-400 every month after that. Also I don't know much about tuning cars, so I would probably have to learn, or take it to a shop. If those two mods that scrming suggested bring it down to 5.44 i would be schyed. I really didnt think that 2 mods could cut .6 off 0-60.

What some people that mod their car to go faster seem to forget is you have to strengthen more than just the motor, how about the transmission, How much power can it handle, and the rear end, make sure you don't overload them, then of course the Brakes, when you use that speed you need to slow down sometime...
My Son found out the hard way that as the power increases reliability decreases...unless you take the extra measures to ensure that it doesn't.

Just keep everything in perspective... and have fun..

67 GTO 11-20-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1197511)

Leaving myself open for ridicule. These are some times recorded with a Matrix 3-Axis accelerometer with a GMPP axle back, Airaid intake and some cool fall air at about 350' above sea. I don't claim that the meter is exact but my car sure do run good. Another member here is getting about the same numbers with a intake, exhaust and recorded at about same sea level and weather conditions. :help:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...8/IMG_0519.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...8/IMG_0525.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...IMG_0554-1.jpg

patriotpa 11-20-2009 06:23 PM

Change gears. It'll be the most bang for your buck.

alnajjd 11-20-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 GTO (Post 1197605)
Leaving myself open for ridicule. These are some times recorded with a Matrix 3-Axis accelerometer with a GMPP axle back, Airaid intake and some cool fall air at about 350' above sea. I don't claim that the meter is exact but my car sure do run good. Another member here is getting about the same numbers with a intake, exhaust and recorded at about same sea level and weather conditions. :help:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...8/IMG_0519.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...8/IMG_0525.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...IMG_0554-1.jpg

Where did you buy youtr parts? Also what do you think it would put out with all that stuff plus and aftermartk IAT?

97one 11-20-2009 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Less restrictive Exhaust & Intake...:thumbsup:

PLUS run your tests in Cooler temps,High Bar.Presure,low Humidity,low Alt. which = a NEGATIVE Density Altitude...... THOSE conditions WITHOUT the Exhaust & intake will bring down the 0-60 times over 3/4 of a sec. From 6.09 sec to 5.26sec. that's what I found with my 39 diff. 0-60mph recorded runs.

I ran 6.09 secs. with a DA of 2,805ft.
I ran 5.26 secs. with a DA of 162ft.

My Best run is 5.01 sec. with my MRT exhaust, Airaid intake & 19" tires......But MOST IMPORTANTLY With: Temp.46, Hum.50, Bar.Pres.30.31, Elevation 350ft...= DA of MINUS 812ft.
All of those conditions will make a VAST diff. in 0-60 times. .......Did I say VAST!!..............
You really have to test & record the runs to see the VAST diff.those 5 conditions make.

:chevy:

alnajjd 11-20-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97one (Post 1197728)

PLUS run your tests in Cooler temps,High Bar.Presure,low Humidity,low Alt. which = a NEGITIVE Density Altitude...... THOSE conditions WITHOUT the Exhaust & intake will bring down the 0-60 times over 3/4 of a sec. From 6.09 sec to 5.26sec. that's what I found with my 39 diff. 0-60mph recorded runs.

My Best run is 5.01 sec. with my MRT exhaust, Airaid intake & 19" tires......But MOST IMPORTANTLY With: Temp.42, Hum.50, Bar.Pres.30.31, Elevation 350ft...= DA of MINUS 812ft.
All of those conditions will make a VAST diff. in 0-60 times. .......Did I say VAST!!..............
You really have to test & record the runs to see the VAST diff.those 5 conditions make.

well my evelvation in my city is about 800 feet and the temp does get to below 0 but its snowing by then obivously. Roght now the temp is in the 40s so i guess it would be an ideal time to test. The problem is I want it to be 5sec in the summer. Is that possible?

67 GTO 11-20-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97one (Post 1197728)

PLUS run your tests in Cooler temps,High Bar.Presure,low Humidity,low Alt. which = a NEGITIVE Density Altitude...... THOSE conditions WITHOUT the Exhaust & intake will bring down the 0-60 times over 3/4 of a sec. From 6.09 sec to 5.26sec. that's what I found with my 39 diff. 0-60mph recorded runs.

My Best run is 5.01 sec. with my MRT exhaust, Airaid intake & 19" tires......But MOST IMPORTANTLY With: Temp.42, Hum.50, Bar.Pres.30.31, Elevation 350ft...= DA of MINUS 812ft.

Thanks 97 :thumbsup:

97one 11-20-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1197755)
well my evelvation in my city is about 800 feet and the temp does get to below 0 but its snowing by then obivously. Roght now the temp is in the 40s so i guess it would be an ideal time to test. The problem is I want it to be 5sec in the summer. Is that possible?

With 800ft.& hi temps. you will need more than Exhaust & intake to get 5.0 secs. You need to have a NEGATIVE DA with HIGH Bar. pres. etc.
To find the DA use the Drag Times DA Calculator.

But again you need to have NEGATIVE DA to get great 0-60 times!!!

Xanthos 11-20-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1197755)

Yes, but its going to be more difficult.

CAI and IAT relocation, headers, and axle-back or cat-back should be the first four mods on your list. You should be able to get all of that over the next 3 months without issue. CAI is basically Airaid at this point - there doesn't seem to be anything better on the market yet. Headers I'd suggest either JBA shorties (if you're worried about emissions) or BBK longtubes (if you aren't). For the exhaust - go with whatever you think sounds best, honestly. For best power, pick something that has an X-pipe or get an axle-back and have a custom x-pipe installed.

After thats done, you should be getting into the ballpark - especially if you have an RS with the wider rears/stickier tires. Past that though and there's really nothing at all out there to help besides the Zex kit. If you do get the Zex kit though, I'd recommend keeping it at the 55 hp shot until tuning is available. Don't want to get too lean...

Looking forward to your results.
- X

scrming 11-20-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotpa (Post 1197648)
Change gears. It'll be the most bang for your buck.

Would if it were possible... no gear out for the Camaro yet... plus no ability to tune the V6 for the new gears... but yeah... 4.10s... woohoo!!! LOL

scrming 11-20-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanthos (Post 1197839)
Yes, but its going to be more difficult.

CAI and IAT relocation, headers, and axle-back or cat-back should be the first four mods on your list. You should be able to get all of that over the next 3 months without issue. CAI is basically Airaid at this point - there doesn't seem to be anything better on the market yet. Headers I'd suggest either JBA shorties (if you're worried about emissions) or BBK longtubes (if you aren't). For the exhaust - go with whatever you think sounds best, honestly. For best power, pick something that has an X-pipe or get an axle-back and have a custom x-pipe installed.

After thats done, you should be getting into the ballpark - especially if you have an RS with the wider rears/stickier tires. Past that though and there's really nothing at all out there to help besides the Zex kit. If you do get the Zex kit though, I'd recommend keeping it at the 55 hp shot until tuning is available. Don't want to get too lean...

Looking forward to your results.
- X

Still not sure on the benefits of switching the H to an X... :iono:

scrming 11-20-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97one (Post 1197829)
With 800ft.& hi temps. you will need more than Exhaust & intake to get 5.0 secs. You need to have a NEGATIVE DA with HIGH Bar. pres. etc.
To find the DA use the Drag Times DA Calculator.

But again you need to have NEGATIVE DA to get great 0-60 times!!!

Yeah... 5.0 is going to be a very tall order! DA tomorrow is supposed to be in the 400 to 600 range... compared to the usually 1600 to 1800... woohoo!

Beauwulf 11-20-2009 07:49 PM

From what I've seen, getting rid of the torque management system should unleash about 30 more ponies in the lower gears..... We should be able to get mid 5s in summer with that alone. Add the other items (headers, exhaust, CAI) in a negative DA day and high 4's might be possible.

Remember, no times are considered totally ligit unless there's a time slip attached. The Kat Matrix timer is a pretty good tool for comparasons but is not (IMHO) a certified register of 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. No offense guys (I have one too) but it just don't count unless it's done at the strip....

Xanthos 11-20-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1197856)
Still not sure on the benefits of switching the H to an X... :iono:

I'm going to guess a slight drop in low end torque and a slight gain in upper end. But, once you get past first gear the upper end is really what matters.
- X

scrming 11-20-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 1197998)
From what I've seen, getting rid of the torque management system should unleash about 30 more ponies in the lower gears..... We should be able to get mid 5s in summer with that alone. Add the other items (headers, exhaust, CAI) in a negative DA day and high 4's might be possible.

Remember, no times are considered totally ligit unless there's a time slip attached. The Kat Matrix timer is a pretty good tool for comparasons but is not (IMHO) a certified register of 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. No offense guys (I have one too) but it just don't count unless it's done at the strip....

Yep... show me the timeslip baby! LOL

67 GTO 11-20-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 1197998)

I agree and always now put a disclaimer. Weather permiting I'll be at Atco raceway in a few weeks.

Beauwulf 11-20-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 GTO (Post 1198068)
I agree and always now put a disclaimer. Weather permiting I'll be at Atco raceway in a few weeks.

Good luck... I'm hoping for a cold front to get here for next Wednesday nite's "Test & Tune"! I have 3 tricks "up my sleave" to try! hehe!

67 GTO 11-20-2009 08:44 PM

Just curious, I've read where the Dynolicious appy uses the embeded accelerometer in the iPhone, is this better than a stand alone meter?

Xanthos 11-20-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 GTO (Post 1198169)
Just curious, I've read where the Dynolicious appy uses the embeded accelerometer in the iPhone, is this better than a stand alone meter?

From what I've read, the dynolicious app has been proven fairly accurate on 1/4 mile ET, not so accurate on 1/4 mile trap speed, and relatively accurate (though not perfect) on 0-60.

I haven't personally taken mine to the track yet to compare the two.
- X

Beauwulf 11-20-2009 09:00 PM

The IPhone app is pretty close IF you cal it just before the run. That's the ET part. The MPH is another story though. Here's my best run on the app...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...novruns007.jpg

Here's the app VS a time slip....

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...novruns001.jpg

I'll do more testing on the Kat when I get back out to the track...

scrming 11-21-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 1198141)
Good luck... I'm hoping for a cold front to get here for next Wednesday nite's "Test & Tune"! I have 3 tricks "up my sleave" to try! hehe!

You're up to 3!!! DANG IT!!! I'm out out tricks... other than the DA today could be as low as 300 vs the 1820 I had last time!

MoranoRacing 11-21-2009 09:40 AM

Take some weigt out of the car. that would help 0-60 times

97one 11-21-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 1198207)
The IPhone app is pretty close IF you cal it just before the run. That's the ET part. The MPH is another story though.
Here's the app VS a time slip....

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...novruns001.jpg

I'll do more testing on the Kat when I get back out to the track...

Yes ...the Iphone app. is Very close on the 1/4 mi ET, can't ask for better than that !
But on MPH it is off 11.92MPH in the 1/4mi. That is not good at all, So for 0-60mph runs it would be off App.6.66 MPH...That's way too much.

Bottom line: the app. is great for ET. but no good for MPH.... You need MPH to get 0-60mph times.

I hope you get to ck. the KAT Matrix at the track.
I know it is NOT 100% accurate but, My guess is it may be off app. 2 MPH in the 0-60 run.....& Not 6 or 7mph like the app.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also as you said, Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do agree with that 100 %.................
I use the KAT to see the VAST difference the weather as in the DA makes on the times.... Plus the SMALL difference the Exhaust & intake etc. make.
My KAT Matrix has been pretty consistent in my 39: 0-60mph runs even thou it is NOT 100% accurate for sure.

Xanthos 11-21-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zweb620 (Post 1199385)
turbo or supercharger

None out yet.
- X

alnajjd 11-21-2009 01:54 PM

Pics!!.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0745.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0746.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0747.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0748.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0749.jpg

Xanthos 11-21-2009 02:41 PM

Very nice!

Yep - the radial T/As that are the 1LT stock aren't anywhere near a performance tire. Your first step to better 0-60 times should be to replace that rubber with something stickier.

My suggestion would be some nittos - low prices for a high level of performance.
- X

2Tightwads 11-21-2009 02:48 PM

Airaid CAI & Magnaflow PN# 16584 Axleback would be a great start over the next (3) months. Then a nitrous kit of your choice to begin '10. Installation is simple for all of these systems. All of which come install instructions. Give us a call..we support all of these parts + many more!

jordanc 11-21-2009 05:07 PM

get a V8 that should do the trick

Xanthos 11-21-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanc (Post 1200492)
get a V8 that should do the trick

Was this really necessary?
- X

alnajjd 11-21-2009 05:23 PM

I'm gonna try to start with getting some tires, but I don't see any nittos that would fit the stock rims, only tires that would right now are the Bf Goodrich Radial T/A and g-Force T/A KDWS. Which is best?

Xanthos 11-21-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnajjd (Post 1200529)
I'm gonna try to start with getting some tires, but I don't see any nittos that would fit the stock rims, only tires that would right now are the Bf Goodrich Radial T/A and g-Force T/A KDWS. Which is best?

Well, the radial is the same tire as stock (sorry, mistyped earlier) so thats not an improvement at all.

The KDWS is nice but nothing special.

As for nittos, there are tires that will fit but not 245s. My suggestion as far as nittos would be either a 255/55/18 nt420s (.3 inches taller than stock), or a 265/50/18 nt555 (.2 inches shorter than stock). Both are listed on nittos website as fitting on 7.5 inch rims.

Both will grip better than stock. The nt555 will be better than the nt420s but won't last as long. There are others that will fit as well in the 255/55/18 size. Pirelli P-zeros (same tires as the stock RS and SS but a different size) for example. Eagle F1 is another nice one in that size.
- X