Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   GM certified car paint issue...opinions? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304681)

DarkneSS 06-28-2013 08:04 PM

GM certified car paint issue...opinions?

I bought my SS 3 weeks ago or so and just now noticed that the driver's side fender was repainted at some point in time with the wrong black. From what I understand there are at least two shades of black that were used on the 2010s. It took me until now to notice as I was more focused on the 5-6 dents I need PDRed.

The car is GM CERTIFIED and came with a 1 year, 12,000 mile limited bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything but mods, car was picked up with 15,000 miles and still has that amount.

Question is, do you guys think I can get this fender repainted under the bumper to bumper warranty or am I making a trip to my paint shop?

They did repaint trunks for the spoiler bolt issue way back...

:crazy:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ctureid=107440http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ctureid=107439Passenger side for comparison
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ctureid=107441

The Stig 06-28-2013 08:06 PM

Is it noticeably different? What body panels are you comparing?

DarkneSS 06-28-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6729935)
Is it noticeably different? What body panels are you comparing?

In the sun its quite obvious, compared to the hood, driver door, and even the front bumper. Its a much darker shade of black. I'll have to take some pics.

Evil-Bee-NH 06-29-2013 01:23 AM

Strange i was under the impression the warranty went from owner to owner if it was GM Certified. I'd get a car fax on your cars VIN and if the repaint wasn't listed i'd say get them to paint it correctly under warranty and if they try nixing your opinion i believe failure to list damage when you sell a vehivcle thats GM certified would cause some jobs to roll down a hill.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 06-29-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 6729924)
I bought my SS 3 weeks ago or so and just now noticed that the driver's side fender was repainted at some point in time with the wrong black. From what I understand there are at least two shades of black that were used on the 2010s. It took me until now to notice as I was more focused on the 5-6 dents I need PDRed.

The car is GM CERTIFIED and came with a 1 year, 12,000 mile limited bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything but mods, car was picked up with 15,000 miles and still has that amount.

Question is, do you guys think I can get this fender repainted under the bumper to bumper warranty or am I making a trip to my paint shop?

They did repaint trunks for the spoiler bolt issue way back...

:crazy:

Hello DarkneSS,

I may be able to provide some helpful information for your situation. Please private message me your VIN and current mileage. I will see if I have information on a repaint in the car's history & also see if I can verify if the paint used is different.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

whemming 06-29-2013 02:55 PM

Mine 2010 black looks the same, I think its just the body angle in the sun making it look different. At some angles the black almost looks dark gray and others deep black. Sometimes when looking at my car the front fender appears much blacker than the door.

Angrybird 12 06-29-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 6730942)
Strange i was under the impression the warranty went from owner to owner if it was GM Certified. I'd get a car fax on your cars VIN and if the repaint wasn't listed i'd say get them to paint it correctly under warranty and if they try nixing your opinion i believe failure to list damage when you sell a vehivcle thats GM certified would cause some jobs to roll down a hill.

Since its a 2010 it may already be through the factory 36 month B To B warranty, thus the certified 12 month 12K mile would be in effect.

Evil-Bee-NH 06-29-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6732209)
Since its a 2010 it may already be through the factory 36 month B To B warranty, thus the certified 12 month 12K mile would be in effect.

Ahh i gotcha good to know.

Avenging Orange 06-30-2013 02:42 PM

You will find that on these cars due to the angles of body parts. But, if it was painted, it should have been disclosed at time of purchase. Do some digging.....might get it fixed warranty or not. Good luck.

DarkneSS 06-30-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 6730942)

Well the power train is intact as thats 5 years/100,000 miles but the 3 year 36,000 is up because its been 3 years despite the car only having 15,000 miles. I definitely need to check the car fax I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 6732040)
Hello DarkneSS,

I may be able to provide some helpful information for your situation. Please private message me your VIN and current mileage. I will see if I have information on a repaint in the car's history & also see if I can verify if the paint used is different.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Going to try you guys out and take you up on this offer. Sending a private message now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whemming (Post 6732141)
Mine 2010 black looks the same, I think its just the body angle in the sun making it look different. At some angles the black almost looks dark gray and others deep black. Sometimes when looking at my car the front fender appears much blacker than the door.

This SS has that same grayer black that my V6 had, they were built at roughly the same time in 2010. This panel is a deep dark black that does not match the other fender, or any other panel on the vehicle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 6732209)

Correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avenging Orange (Post 6735195)
You will find that on these cars due to the angles of body parts. But, if it was painted, it should have been disclosed at time of purchase. Do some digging.....might get it fixed warranty or not. Good luck.

I figure its worth the effort to save some cash, and considering the car has a bumper to bumper warranty I'm not asking for anything crazy here. In fact its quite reasonable.

DarkneSS 07-09-2013 04:48 PM

Updated first post with pics

SILVER BULLET RS 07-10-2013 12:03 PM

I think your looking at it way too closely bro. A lot of times paint on plastic is gonna look different than paint on metal, that's just the nature of the paint. My silver ice metallic looks a little different on the bumpers and hood compared to the fenders, nothing that serious.