Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Do you have to get new struts if you get lowering springs? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98433)

BAWLZ SS 08-03-2010 12:20 AM

Do you have to get new struts if you get lowering springs?

Im looking into getting a set of lowering springs but just wondering if i had to also get new struts since im going with a lower spring. Can anybody answer that question for me. Will i have any strut failure after a while. Im leaning towards hotchkis.

axis 08-03-2010 12:41 AM

No. You use your OEM struts. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket struts yet. I haven't heard of a rash of strut failures yet.

BAWLZ SS 08-03-2010 12:45 AM

Thanks i appreciate the info. Any knowledge or preference on any particular brand of springs u recommend. Hotchkis vs. Pedders vs. Pfdat?

axis 08-03-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS (Post 2174591)
Thanks i appreciate the info. Any knowledge or preference on any particular brand of springs u recommend. Hotchkis vs. Pedders vs. Pfdat?

That is something that everyone will debate. I think the top 2 are Pfadt and Pedders. Hotchkis and BMR are probably pretty close, although I haven't heard much on them since their springs are just now hitting the market. I'm just going by their name and quality with the parts that they have out now. Eibach would be next on the list with H&R and Vogtland bringing up the rear. When mine goes down, it will be either Pfadt or Pedders.

Apex Motorsports 08-03-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 2174575)
No. You use your OEM struts. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket struts yet. I haven't heard of a rash of strut failures yet.

What he said. You really have no choice and there isnt any reason you can't or shouldn't use them.

IPS Brandon 08-03-2010 08:56 AM

The springs from most manufacturers were in fact designed to work 100% properly with the factory strut. Most springs have properly engineered springs rates which create a minimal increase in wear on the strut, as well as the travel on the strut is still with in its designed region.

Unfortunately there are not manufacturers that produced struts for the car yet, however I know many will release very soon.

If you have any further questions let us know.

Regards

BMR guy 08-03-2010 11:17 AM

The shock valving for the most part is actually pretty good on this car unless you go too low. As long as you don't lower it too far (below 1.4") the OE shocks will be fine dampening the higher rate lowering spring.

JusticePete 08-03-2010 11:17 AM

When lowering springs are installed they should not cause strut failure. Strut failures from lowering springs occur when the new spring with cut bumpstop allow too much travel resultiing in damage to the foot valve. I am not aware of ANY issues like this to date on the 5th Gen with lowering coils. That means you'll have to choose among a number of quality brands with no worries.

So many choices and so little time.

BAWLZ SS 08-03-2010 11:56 PM

Thanks appreciate the info!