Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   APEX Motorsports V6 Camaro Exhaust Video Library (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148671)

Apex Motorsports 05-22-2011 05:23 PM

APEX Motorsports V6 Camaro Exhaust Video Library

People are always asking, "What is the best sounding exhaust for my V6 Camaro?". Well, it really all depends on your personal taste. In an effort to help V6 Camaro owners decide which system is best for them, Apex Motorsports is starting a library of audio and video recordings of various exhaust systems. Capturing the in person experience is impossible, but all of our videos are shot in 720x486 HD and the audio is recorded in digital stereo. When viewing these videos we recommend using high quality headphones, in place of your computer's internal speaker, in order to fully experience the audio.

The Camaro in our first video belongs to Camaro5 member RubyCamaro. It is equipped with the Borla V6 axle back (part #: 11776) with stock exhaust manifolds and cats. It is also running a CAI Inc V6 intake system.

Borla V6 axle back (part #: 11776)

MRT v2 axle back (part #: 91A177)

The Camaro in the video below belongs to Camaro5 member and Apex Motorsports customer fergie1197. It is equipped with the MRT v2 axle back (part #: 91A177). Everything else is stock.

PETRA 06-05-2011 04:51 PM

Sounds pretty sweet but what about drone? Any of that? And does it fit the 'vert?

Apex Motorsports 06-09-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangerineDream (Post 3303309)
Sounds pretty sweet but what about drone? Any of that? And does it fit the 'vert?

According to Borla it does fit the convertible. I sent a PM to RubyCamaro and asked her to respond regarding your drone question.

MIT'13 06-09-2011 08:27 PM

Great idea! I'm assuming more will come?
In addition to the different sounds each exhaust gives, is there any way to record any power increase or weight savings, even if they are rough approximations?
Thanks!

RubyCamaro 06-09-2011 10:03 PM

TangerineDream: I don't do much driving on interstate so I'm not the best of judges on this. In highway driving I don't notice any drone. The little I have driven on the interstate I did notice a little drone but it was not at a level that was bothersome to me. I have seen threads talking about a trunk liner for sound barrier. I don't know how good they are, but as little drone as I noticed I would guess if it bothered you something like that would take care of it. I wish Chase & Paul would have videoed me really getting on it in Ruby. That is when she really sounds great!

MIT'13: Ruby lost about 30lbs! & mine is just axle back. The guy that installed them placed the old mufflers/pipes in the same box the new ones came in. When My husband went to pick it up to put it in his Yukon he was blown away at how heavy those old parts were. I have not dynoed Ruby yet (though our club may plan a dyno day soon) but by the seat of my pants, it sure feels great on power increase & responsiveness. The CAI inc. intake & Borla exhaust make a great team. I had a chance to drive Ruby between getting the exhaust installed for a few weeks before adding the CAI. Each added to the nice sound & at least percieved power & responsiveness. Then driving the car since then it just keeps getting better & better. Chase says there is some kind of "gunk" manufacturers put in the mufflers that burns off in time & people say it feels like the car "just woke up". I really did feel that effect after several weeks.

RubyCamaro 06-09-2011 10:07 PM

Here is the link to pics of the exhaust & CAI intake:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6271

OOLIE 06-09-2011 10:10 PM

Drone is dependent on many factors Intake, Headers and exhaust IMHO.

So all variations affect it IMHO.

Dont forget the resonated x-pipe

PETRA 06-09-2011 10:15 PM

Thanks for all the info guys (including gals :) .)

I am torn between this one and the Flowmasters 40 series. :iono: Anyone know how the Borla is in comparison to sound of the Flowmasters? And does anyone know how much HP Borla is *expected* to offer?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Its been next to impossible to find video footage of the Borla at rev, and hard start, etc.:mad0259:

OOLIE 06-09-2011 11:05 PM

HP should be not on the table

look for the tone you want and look at KMP sticky thread.

YOU WON"T GET HP from a axle back at least not that noticeable

Edit: I originally said catback when I meant axle back. I have heard of some people getting a little more from catback. intake and headers will do more for you.

RubyCamaro 06-10-2011 10:55 AM

OOLIE has it pretty much the way I have heard, but since I'm no expert I waited for someone else to say it. Now with your cold air intake, you will pick up a bit of HP and it helps your car "breath" better to add the exhaust (like more air in, better air flow out). Both together make it more responsive & sound much better. Not to mention those old mufflers are butt ugly & very heavy!

PETRA 06-10-2011 11:15 AM

I don't expect to feel any HP gain from what I want to do to my car. I am just curious as to the "printed expectations." And I don't want the cat-back, I want the axle-back.

Besides, they say my car is 312 HP but its the exact same as the one from 2010 that was rated a 304 - so its all subject to interpretation. Not to mention the placebo effect........ it does WONDERS for my psyche. :D:yikes:

OOLIE 06-10-2011 11:29 AM

I would just check out the exhaust thread and look for the exhaust note you want. You have many choices and combos to listen too.

Apex Motorsports 06-11-2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIT'13 (Post 3321070)
Great idea! I'm assuming more will come?
In addition to the different sounds each exhaust gives, is there any way to record any power increase or weight savings, even if they are rough approximations?
Thanks!

Thanks. We will definitely add more videos as we get more local V6 owners making exhaust upgrades. We have posted open invitations in the regional sub forums for participants. Power increases from a cat back or axle back alone are going to be pretty minimal but the weight savings do contribute to an overall performance improvement. In Ruby's case, she saved about 30 lbs..

Ten33 06-14-2011 11:42 AM

I am so close to dumping my Flowmasters and getting this setup....