Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   M6 owners with gearbox rattle...READ THIS! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111721)

KB2010 10-19-2010 08:12 PM

M6 owners with gearbox rattle...READ THIS!

After much arguing with the dealer, I got them to get in there and FIX this rattle. I picked it up this morning, and the rattle is virtually GONE. It is still there in the slightest bit, but it is NOT LOUD annoying like it used to be. Here is what my work order invoice says....

__________________________________________________ _____
Case: 1 Rattle noise heard from shift console area (confirmed)

Quantity Description/Correction
Rattle noise heard from shift console area
(confirmed) *** - Tech Cause: Transmission tag hitting
heat defector *** - Tech comments: Test drove to listen for
noise. Found transmission tag rubbing on heat defector under body
at rear of transmission - Warranty
Completed by Technician number: ****

__________________________________________________ ________

Yadda yadda yadda

The driveline slack could be a possibility, but once this tag was fixed, I would say I noticed a near 80% improvement in the rattling at low speeds (ie 1st, 2nd gear, lower than 30 km/h). Consider having a look at this yourself, or a tech if you are uncapable. It wont completely fix the issue, but my god this improvement was like night and day for my particular car.

Best of luck all!

CynAgain 10-19-2010 10:01 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this information.

ITGuy11 10-19-2010 10:11 PM

I suffer from this rattle noise at low speeds on my M6. I will take a look at the transmission and see if I can locate this "tag".

Milk 1027 10-19-2010 10:13 PM

what exactly is this rattle you are talking about?

franknbeans 10-19-2010 10:19 PM

my rattle was the exhaust hitting on the tunnel brace. . .I put washers in there to lower the brace down a little.

Milk 1027 10-19-2010 10:30 PM

I'm guessing this is the low speed "clunking" that people talk about when pushing the clutch peddal?

KB2010 10-19-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 2460981)
I'm guessing this is the low speed "clunking" that people talk about when pushing the clutch peddal?

This is something people encounter, but I was referring more to the constant rattling while in gear. Whatever they did, it has reduced the clanking from when I do push down the pedal, as well as the first issue I mentioned.

Again, *its not a fix*, but I encountered an improvement.

55Designs 10-20-2010 07:38 AM

Our Hurst Shifter would bounce around and rattle from day 1. We checked all the shields etc and just accepted it must have been the nature of the car.

We installed the Tremec rear output shaft bearing support race and its now gone.

Look this up guys because GM shortchanged us by not including this part while Tremec blueprints show it.

franknbeans 10-20-2010 10:32 AM

55designs. . . . can you give me some more info on this. . . where did you get it, hard to put in?

Sevn86 10-20-2010 10:59 AM

I hear something rattle all the time..it's either my dash or my windshield not sure and my cars a A6. So idk.

brandotron 10-20-2010 11:03 AM

Wait...

wait

wait...

Canadians call the transmission a gearbox too? I thought that was a British thing.

xpanda305x 10-20-2010 11:42 AM

same here that rattle .at times. comes and goes.

55Designs 10-20-2010 02:40 PM

it has to be from the lack of the bearing on the output shaft. We have installed several but our source is having a hard time getting us more. We tried sourcing parts but no luck.

install is a breeze once you remove the exhaust and drieshaft takes about 20 minutes with the stuff removed.

if you search post regarding shifters such as Hurst everyone complained over buzzing and rattling shifters well our Hurst is whisper quiet now after the install.

I hear that Tremec and GM have a pending lawsuit over this because Tremecs blueprints show the parts but GM said they didnt need it to reduce cost and screw us so there you have it.

Rage 10-20-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55Designs (Post 2463073)
it has to be from the lack of the bearing on the output shaft. We have installed several but our source is having a hard time getting us more. We tried sourcing parts but no luck.

install is a breeze once you remove the exhaust and drieshaft takes about 20 minutes with the stuff removed.

if you search post regarding shifters such as Hurst everyone complained over buzzing and rattling shifters well our Hurst is whisper quiet now after the install.

I hear that Tremec and GM have a pending lawsuit over this because Tremecs blueprints show the parts but GM said they didnt need it to reduce cost and screw us so there you have it.

If true... Can anyone say recall....?