Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GMPP Air Intake= How many +HP? If any? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20295)

DDA_Skull 04-28-2009 06:29 AM

GMPP Air Intake= How many +HP? If any?

So the question is just what the title is. With that air intake give you any extra HP just by letting the car breath better? Or what can be added to the car to boost HP without Voiding the Warrenty?

fdjizm 04-28-2009 07:04 AM

to get any significant gain from an aftermarket intake you will need to change the tune to reflect the new flow (if more than stock) just putting on a smoother tube does very little for performance.

free flowing exhaust (muffler), underdrive pulleys will free up some HP without voiding the warranty.

Smokintires 04-28-2009 07:10 AM

Im not sure about the GMPP intake. I will wait until AEM comes up with a intake for the Camaro. Nice question by the way.

snizzle 04-28-2009 07:19 AM

With a big V8, you've got a better chance at making more power with simple bolt-ons. Even so, I wouldn't expect much.

ss1129 04-28-2009 08:00 AM

As with the ls1s of the 4th gens I would expect to free up about 10-15hp from an intake. The 5th gen has huge air baffles in the intake to quiet it down alone. However I wouldnt put anything from AEM on my car or any other Camaro. Unless you want to fit in with the Honda crowd. You can always check the popular parts supplies of 4th gen camaros as parts become available. I.E. Thunder Racing....Speed INC. They are usually on top of their game. Plus PCM for less does cheap but effective tuning with 0 down time.

Your basic mods are going to be Intake/ catback/ UD pully/ mail order tune/ gears.....Im not sure if headers affect warranties or not.

BackinBlackSS/RS 04-28-2009 08:05 AM

I am getting the GM intake. Mainly for the look. The stock unit is not pretty, as is the case with most cars. You will not notice any change in performance with just this mod.
I know one thing, there is alot of heat under there and no way would I put an open element intake on the car. It needs to be shielded.

DDA_Skull 04-28-2009 08:05 AM

I've read a bunch of different things, just trying to figure out what to do to it. Its got to beat my bike in a 1/4 mile drag. Thats all i want. ha ha.

Crowley 04-28-2009 08:44 AM

I would expect about 10hp or so ... all dependent on other mods as well. If you are worried about warrenty, you are usually pretty safe with Air Intake, and catback modifications .. may net you 15 - 20 hp on a good day. You can always do a high flow catted mid pipe for a few more HP as well ..

Crowley

radz28 04-28-2009 09:46 AM

Replacing the lids and baffles on 4th Gens was usually good for around 10 RWHP according to tests I've read by different sources. LT1 intakes were sometimes good for more! I think that the GMPP system will add between 5 and 10 RWHP mostly due to replacing the tubes/baffles with nice round tubes. It'll probably give a little more intake roar but I wouldn't expect too much. The computer will likely be able to compansate for a little extra flow, but tuning will make the most of the mod'. The factory usually tunes the car pretty conservative and rich, to protect the engine, and tuners, by and large, seem to lean them out most of the time and get that AFR around the mid 12s. Each combination is different and FI tunes are usually, from what I've read, in the mid-to-upper 11s.

Back to the GMPP intake, I think about 10 RWHP will be about the most one can reasonably expect from the mod'. It looks better and should flow better, at no cost to water getting into it, so it looks good in my eyes.

JMHO.

TXInfernoSS 04-28-2009 09:51 AM

also, dont look for the hp on a dyno. the cold air intakes really do their thing while the car is moving forward. there was a seat of the pants difference when we did it to the vette without a tune

Smokintires 04-28-2009 01:03 PM

Ss1129 there are 0 problems with some AEM intakes. And who cares about crowds. Its all about Horsepower and with AEM you will get horsepower. "Honda Crowd" was that a joke? The Camaro is made by Chevrolet, genius.

The Riz 04-28-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokintires (Post 440246)
Ss1129 there are 0 problems with some AEM intakes. And who cares about crowds. Its all about Horsepower and with AEM you will get horsepower. "Honda Crowd" was that a joke? The Camaro is made by Chevrolet, genius.

I believe it's a jab at the Fast and Furious crowd. I've got an Injen CAI on my STi, so I'd probably get lumped into that group as well. I pity the poor b*stard that actually admits to using a NOS product on here. This group will eat him alive. :mad0260:

I'm planning on putting a CAI on mine when I get it. That's generally the first thing I do when I get a car, since the stock air box is always so winding and restrictive and an intake is usually pretty cheap compared to other mods. Hopefully it won't take long for the aftermarket to catch up to GMPP offerings. I won't discriminate based on what "crowd" an intake reflects. I'll get what I feel is a good performance/value ratio.

radz28 04-28-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Riz (Post 440427)
I believe it's a jab at the Fast and Furious crowd. I've got an Injen CAI on my STi, so I'd probably get lumped into that group as well. I pity the poor b*stard that actually admits to using a NOS product on here. This group will eat him alive. :mad0260:

I'm planning on putting a CAI on mine when I get it. That's generally the first thing I do when I get a car, since the stock air box is always so winding and restrictive and an intake is usually pretty cheap compared to other mods. Hopefully it won't take long for the aftermarket to catch up to GMPP offerings. I won't discriminate based on what "crowd" an intake reflects. I'll get what I feel is a good performance/value ratio.

:clap::clap::clap::word:

Edrock 04-29-2009 09:39 AM

Anybody know how difficult the GMPP CAI box will be to install? Is it just a couple of screws and clamps and you're done? The reason I ask is that the installation fee on my dealer's accessory site shows ~$30 for installation. I'm thinking that's $30 I could save doing it myself unless there is something special about it requiring special tools or something....